Sign in with
Your question

New 7970 Power Save Issue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 3, 2012 12:56:32 AM

I just replaced my 5770 with a 7970 and can't get my machine to stay running. I can boot it up, but before windows loads it goes into power save mode. I went into the bios to see if I could find anything there and while cruising around in the bios....monitor goes into power save mode. I can hear the fans on the care spin up real fast right before it does it. Card feels cool to the touch so I don't think that is the issue. I have a 750w PSU but wondering if the card is not getting enough power.

Setup is:

Sabertooth X58A mobo
Corsair TX750w PSU
Intel i7 920 @ 2.8
6GB Ram

Anyone know what might be causing the issue? I tried swapping different power cables around but no dice. Thanks in advance.

More about : 7970 power save issue

May 3, 2012 1:30:04 AM

reinstall your 5770 or use onboard graphics, remove your graphics drives and try the new card again

then install the latest drivers.

750w should be fine for a single 7970.
m
l
May 3, 2012 3:42:19 AM

Not sure it's a driver issue as even when in the bios, the monitor is going into power save. As I said, I can hear the fans ramp up and thats when it goes into power save.
m
l
Related resources
May 3, 2012 4:09:49 AM

What is the brand and model of the Radeon HD 7970?

Is the graphics card flashed with the latest firmware?
m
l
May 3, 2012 4:40:51 PM

Quote:
... I can boot it up, but before windows loads it goes into power save mode. ...

Does that mean that you can see the BIOS POST screens or not?

For the price that you paid for that card you shouldn't be having any problems out of the box.

If its still under your vendor's merchandise exchange period, have it handled through that process first.
m
l
May 3, 2012 4:43:23 PM

Yes I can see the BIOS POST screens. I can even get into the bios and start poking around but then I hear the fans ramp up and power save kicks on.
m
l
May 3, 2012 4:46:40 PM

Gawl said:
Yes I can see the BIOS POST screens. I can even get into the bios and start poking around but then I hear the fans ramp up and power save kicks on.

When you're in the motherboard's BIOS setup poking around, and that happens, then it is definitely the graphics card because no Operating System has been loaded yet so no graphics card device drivers will even come into play.
m
l
May 3, 2012 4:48:19 PM

My thoughts exactly. I was just wondering if maybe my PSU wasn't compatible or something.
m
l
May 3, 2012 4:54:42 PM

For a system using a single Radeon HD 7970 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important.

The Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 (CMPSU-750TXV2), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 62 Amps and with four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7970.

If you have another working power supply, that you can test with, then do that to see if your results are any different.
m
l
May 3, 2012 5:37:13 PM

Thanks for the reply, mine is actually the original though, not the V2. I called and spoke with the reps at XFX and they stated I should have no issues with this combo. They suspect something wrong with the PSU or the card. I do have another older machine that has an 850 PSU that I'm going to try. If that doesn't work then the card will go back to newegg for a replacement.
m
l
May 3, 2012 5:43:30 PM

The original used a different OEM (CWT) verses the V2 that uses Seasonic.
m
l
!