Value oriented upgrade path?

TheProudNoob

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
My specs:

MSI P67A-GD65 (B3)
Intel Core i5-2500K (Cooler = CM Hyper 212+ w/Scythe Slipstream Fans in Push/Pull)
MSI R6850 Cyclone PE/OC (Manufacturer: 860MHz / 1100MHz; Custom: 1000MHz / 1150MHz)
G.Skill 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1333MHz CL9
Mushkin Chronos 120GB SSD
Samsung F4 2TB

If you look up the motherboard on Newegg, you can see that I chose it based on its flexibility concerning crossfire and a PCIe x1 soundcard. My main issue is I have no idea how to upgrade without being extravagant and wasting money. For instance, if I were to buy a newer generation card (think GTX 6xx series or AMD 7xxx series), I would have a card that I can't use anymore, and I can't sell (don't have the correct packaging). If I crossfire another 6850, I might end up simply wasting money, because the newer gen cards don't cost that much more (when on sale).

I don't have much money. What's a recommended upgrade path for a PC gamer who needs his tech to last all of his college (4 years or more) without any major upgrades?

TheProudNoob

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Well, I'm an overclocking enthusiast and a general techie. It's in my nature to plan future upgrades and squeeze the last drop of performance out of the tech I have.

"Don't fix it if it ain't broke." doesn't apply to me :p

When I was first building my computer, I had to compromise on GPU performance for CPU performance. I went with the 6850 over a 6950 (my optimal choice). I also got the i5-2500K over an AMD Phenom II x4 Black edition.

I always plan my upgrades as far ahead as I can. That's what I'm trying to do here, since I can see that my technology is aging.