Your question

I5 2500k overheating

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel i5
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
November 2, 2012 4:43:08 AM

Well I feel like I'm kind of on a PC building/education evolution. I'm still very new to everything, but as I progress I find myself more and more interested and on a quest for knowledge.

So my first build :
Cooler Master Elite 430 Case
Asuss P8z68-V LE mobo
Intel i5 2500k - stock
Corsair Vengeance 1333 RAM - 8gb (4- 2gb sticks)
MSI gtx 660ti PE GPU
Antec Basiq 500w PSU
LG E2360V-PN - 23" monitor 1920x1080

I have 3 of these case fans at the moment:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835103022
two are top-rear exhaust and one is the bottom-front intake.

I potentially have room for 3 more case fans: one on the side panel, one on the bottom of the case in front of the PSU and one more top-rear exhaust.

My cable management is okay and airflow appears to not be very restricted considering there is no easy to hide places for cables in this case. I also recently installed the video card and took the time to blow all the dust out...

So far I really haven't stressed my rig with a high end game because, well, I don't have one yet! But I have been playing Tribes Ascend and APB Reloaded (don't judge! They are F2P!)

Anyways, Tribes has been great but I have noticed my CPU is heating over 70c shortly into a game, but it hasn't crashed. Last night while on ABP for just around an hour, my rig started freezing and crashing. Sound would lock and distort and my screen would freeze. I had to force a restart. I loaded and checked some sensors and it appears that I'm overheating.

Because of this, I have a few questions.

1. I'm not overclocked, shouldn't I be able to just play a game with a stock cooler?
2. Should I remove the stock fan and reapply some new paste?
3.Should I install more case fans? If so, I will need a fan controller because I don't have more places to plug into the mobo.
4.Should I consider an aftermarket heatsink? Seems the consensus is the Hyper 212 Evo is the best bang for buck, and affordability is my friend. Any comparable suggestions are appreciated too.
5.If I upgrade to a better heasink, add a couple fans and a controller, is my PSU adequate? I used a PSU calculator and it appears that I would be fine but I still am very much a novice at this..

Here are some before and after numbers from running a short test with MSI Kombustor
Before:

After:

Here is one from playing Tribes Ascend for less than 15 mins...

More about : 2500k overheating

a c 109 à CPUs
November 2, 2012 4:45:54 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/338655-28-intel-stock...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/333968-28-thermal-pas...

I would definitely consider reapplying thermal paste/re-seating your heatsink. Your idle temperatures are perfect, but your load temperatures are a little warmer than they should be.

What are your CPU voltages during load? This may also play a key factor in your heating issues. I know some motherboards tend to put a bit more voltage than they need to on stock CPU's.
m
l
November 2, 2012 5:32:54 AM

voltage meter as things started heating up while gaming for a few mins.

I built this PC probably close to a year or so ago and haven't reapplied the paste so I guess I should start with that and see what happens! Thanks for the other helpful links and the fast response too!
m
l
Related resources
a c 109 à CPUs
November 2, 2012 5:34:52 AM

Oh yes, it's definitely worth a shot. It may as well be the cause of all your troubles! :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 6:39:52 AM

Agree to reseating your heatsink and reapplying compound.
Those stock heatsinks if not installed correctly wont make contact like they should and throw high temps
m
l
November 2, 2012 8:26:10 PM

well I put some new paste on and all appears cool! I played a game for a few minutes and unlike the last few times, I didn't get much above 40c.

After re-installing the CPU fan the computer turned off and on a few times before posting though. Should I be concerned?
m
l
November 2, 2012 8:33:57 PM

forgot to mention, I also removed the CPU because there was some slop from the last paste application and re-set it after cleaning it.
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
November 3, 2012 12:12:37 AM

If you removed the CPU, then this is completely normal. Your motherboard was most likely trying to figure out what was changed :) 

Also, I'm glad to hear that your issues are now gone!
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 3, 2012 1:10:51 AM

Congrats! Glad to be of service
m
l
!