Intel i5 2500K High temperature Idle+in Game

henrytowns

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
Hi,

I bough this setup a year and a half ago by the recommendation of tomshardware community.

I have overclocked my i5 2500K to 4.5 GHZ. The overclock is smart and the clocks remain around 1.5GHZ when idle.

I was thinking of buying a new graphics card because i noticed Crysis 2 wont run on 60FPS or a good stable 40FPS in Ultra mode.

I used CPUID HW monitor to check temperatures:

I see that normal CPU temp is around 37C and in Crysis 2 after playing for 10 minutes it was 73C per core. I think thats too high. Also the GPU temp was around 66C when normally it is 31C.

I dont understand much about the voltages and temps but before i go buy a new graphics card i need to know if thats the one throttling the game experience.

I have attached 2 screenshots before and during playing Crysis 2. Any help will be appreciated.

Before (actually i played the game and then quit and then waited for the temperatures to get low, hence the highest temperature 73C)

2ajtjet.png

During the game (i couldnt get the temp to more than 70C again because i didnt find any intense battle)
2n1c55y.png

CPU:Core i5 2500K,LGA1155 @4.5 GHz
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Plus
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws Series DDR3-1066 CL7
HDD: Samsung 1TB SpinPoint
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 OC Ti
Monitor : Asus VE247H at 1920 x 1080
Mobo: P8P67 Pro Rev 3.0
PSU: XFX 750W Core Edition
Case: Coolermaster HAF-922
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
G35 Headset
G500 Mouse

I highly doubt you are experiencing thermal throttling on your CPU as you're still within an 'okay' range of temperatures. However, the temperatures are still a little bit warm considering the frequency you're running at.

What CPU cooler do you have? And can you post a CPU-Z screenshot of your CPU settings? Also, w hat is your ambient temperature?

Your GPU temperatures are 100% normal, however. GTX560 Ti's can get as hot as 85C without any issues so you're definitely running on the cool side of the spectrum.

On a side note, do you have any High-Res packs installed on Crysis 2? Are you running in DX11? And what resolution are you playing at? If you aren't experiencing thermal throttling, I am thinking this is a lack of GPU horsepower especially at very high settings.

Ultra will cause a 560ti to stutter
Although your CPU temps aren't terribly high, they shouldn't be that high. Try reapplying your thermal compound and reseating your heatsink. Make sure its exhausting towards a case fan blowing out of the case

henrytowns

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011

My cooler is : COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
Crysis 2 - High res pack - DX 11 - 1920x1080

Ambient temperature : around 21C , outside around 0C (Finland)

So your message made me not to worry about the temperature but why the game would run slow if everything is fine?

Here is the CPU-Z screen: (My CPU is overclocked to 4.5 GHZ but it doesnt work at that speed normally, only when needed)
2h4f2v4.jpg

My casing is quite good : Coolermaster HAF-922, Also, i used Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste 1.5 years ago, some is still left.
Ambient temperature is around 21C and outside its 0C and was -6 a couple of days ago :D

I just want to know that how do you know what is the cause of a slowdown in a game? I mean when do you know you should upgrade your card, and ofcourse if i should upgrade it or not.

THanks!

The fact that you're running @ 1080p DX11 with high res texture packs leaves me with the conclusion that your GTX560 Ti is holding you back. There have been several tests done with the GTX560 Ti and current generation GPU's which show that the 560 Ti's 1GB VRAM frame buffer is causing it lag behind.

I would recommend lowering settings and see if that will increase your FPS :)

henrytowns

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011

It certaily does increase the FPS! Ofcourse. Oh i was thinking that unless the temperatures go crazy on the GPU, it is not the cause of slow FPS. So how do we know what exactly is the cause of the slowdown in a GPU? RAM in my case? or the overall power or memory bandwidth? I am thinking of buying a new card or a second card in SLI because of this.

SO this issue is solved and i need a second card. So could you please reply there?

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareuk.inc&cat=15&post=373093