Newly built computer… problem starting it up.

tedmclean

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Hi all just finished putting everything together on my new computer.

Sadly it didn't start up… It turns on for about 3 to 5 seconds then turns off and attempts to start again. it does this in a cycle. Ill list my specs below, hopefully someone can help me narrow in on the problem..

Thanks in advance.

cpu: i7 3770k
gpu: GeForce gtx 670
memory: 16g corsair vengeance
mobo: asus sabertooth z77
hdd: 2tb 7200rpm western digital
ssd: 120gb 550mb/s
power supply: corsair AX850

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007

Looks like you have a mounting problem i see this alot in my shop with people trying to build their own systems.
First there are 2 types of mounting systems one with raised bumps under each screw hole and the other is a back plate with holes that need brass stand offs now if you have a brass standoff in a place with no screw hole on the motherboard it will short out the board causing it to cycle or turn off.
If you don't have a standoff in a place with no screw hole on the motherboard then remove your motherboard and run outside the case.
To do this run your motherboard outside the case on a cardboard box the one it came in plug in power supply and video card hook it up to a monitor with keyboard and mouse find the power pins on front panel use a small metal object be careful and short the 2 pins for 1 sec.