Flat Panel Displays used in airports

bizon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2001
Does anyone know what these are. Specifically I am talking about the high resolution LCD or Plasma screens you see in airports to display flight status'. I have examined one of these closely. It is a wide screen device (16:9) with an extemely high resolution. The pixels seem to be equivelant size to that of a 15" flat panel although this particular one was about 60" - 72" (I didn't have a tape measure on me. It appeared that the system was using maxiumum resoulution and the pixels were being addressed individually. The pixel size combined with the size of the screen would indicate an incredible screen resolution somwhere in the vicinity of 3200 x 1800 or even greater. The device was connected via a VGA cable although it had the gammut of connectors on it. I could not see a manufacturers name or model number on this display anywhere, the back was not accessible.

I have done internet searches for very large, wide screen, flat panel, LCD, or plasma screens. None of the displays I found had a very large resouloution whatsoever. Most indicated 1080i HDTV capability. The ones that showed VGA resoloutins indicated 800 x 600 (ridiculous for 16:9 format) and some 1024 x 768 (again 16:9??).

I am not familiar with wide screen displays and how they work with PC's. I have noticed my video card has some resolutions which would seem to work with 16:9, nameley 1600 x 900 and 1980 x 1020.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where you would find one of these beasts, or what exactly they are called so I can shop for them?

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
A very high end home theater and audio custom shops would probably know where to get one. Might cost you 10-40,000 USD.

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad: