BSoD on start up

Perfectjake

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
My PC is getting the stop code above at the starting windows screen, as soon as the first red circle starts to move the BSoD comes up and i have to restart. I am unable to boot from a disk either. the only thing i can do on the PC is access the BIOS. i cannot access the OS at all. from disc nor hard drive.

PC specs:
Mobo: MSI z68ma-g45
CPU: intel 2500k 3.3Ghz
GPU: radeon hd 6950
ram: 8gb corsair xtreme or somethign like that

Please can someone help me, this is realy stressing me out, as my rig isn't even a month old.
Also if any more info is needed, i will give as much as i can

it would help if you included "the stop code above" :)

have you tried safemode? are you overclocking? if so return everything to stock. need to know your power supply and drive.

reset the BIOS to defaults.
check memory settings and try one stick at a time. also run memtest 86 overnight to check for memory problems.

Perfectjake

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
0X9c is the stop code lol. also when i attempt to boot in safe mode it starts to load then resets and goes through regular start up and blue screens. done a memory test and it passed. Also how do i run a memtest 86 ?
also not overcloaked

Perfectjake

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
power supply is antec truepower 650W
RAM is corsair vengence DDR3 1600 MHz 1.5V 9-9-9-24.
Ram voltage is 1.472V
also CPU core voltage is 1.2V (if that info is helpful)

Edit: Also cant get memtest to run. I burnt the iso onto a disk then chose to start up through disk. it doesnt ask if i want to boot from disk just carries on with regular boot up sequence and BSoD :/

Edit: Got memtest working. will post results

Bug Check 0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

One of the more annying BSOD's, this one points to hardware, but not a specific hardware item.

If you ONLY get this BSOD, its unlikely to be a RAM problem, as you'd be far more likely to get IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL_TO (0xA) or MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (0x1A) BSOD messages. GPU becomes the next item of concern to check.

It is POSSIBLE to get this BSOD via a bad driver though, so if you've recently done a driver install/update, that could be the problem.

I should note, this is also one of the few BSOD's that you could get from a busted CPU or motherboard. Both are rare, but can't be ruled out yet...

Perfectjake

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

Took the GPU out to make it boot from the onboard graphics, still same BSoD

I think it's unlikely to be the CPU as it is displaying the clock speed in the bios, which is 3.3 GHz and also the temperature which is around 51C

How would i know if it is a busted mobo?

Also figured it isnt the hard drive as I just replaced with a clean hard drive and tried to boot from a disc. It goes through the "windows is loading files" then goes to the windows is loading screen and BSoD (which is the screen it keeps BSoDing at)

Probably hardware then. Doesn't sound like the GPU, and if you ONLY get 0x9C, its very unlikely to be RAM. That leaves the CPU/Motherboard.

Of the two, the motherboard is more likely to fail; might be a burst capacitor or something. Might be the PSU as well, though I'd be expecting restarts/shutdowns rather then BSOD's...

Perfectjake

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
I rang up the company I got all the parts from, after I told them all that i had done:
Remove and replace hard drive and try to install windows from disc
Remove GPU and run from onboard graphics card.
Memtest on RAM, on both sticks individually and together.

They then told me to flash the BIOS, which i've now done and still the problem persists.

Perfectjake

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
When i look at the voltages in the BIOS they are all the same. also also the fans spin and it can power the bios and stuff so PSU seems to work fine

So it looks like the motherboard is the problem.