Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Computer Stress test fine but shuts up for two known games

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 3, 2012 3:03:34 AM

Recently when I played in the Guildwars 2 Beta I noticed that my computer randomly shut down.. This aparently was a issue on the forums and the fix was to underclock by 20%. *Yeah I know... but it is a CPU bound game* So I did this to my GTX 560 ti (MSI Twinfrozer II) and it fixed it for the game.

Now the odd thing is while normally I would say it is a PSU issue I can stress test all day long on Furmark + Prime95 with zero problems if I wanted to. *I tested for 45min*

Now I recently played a indie game that is a bit buggy and uses the Unreal engine. It also shut down with that *kinda like someone unplugging the computer*.

Is there anything else I can test?

Specs
GTX 560 Ti (Not overclocked)
i5 2500k (Not overclocked)
8gigs of DDR3 ram
850w modular Lepa psu *it got good ratings can't remember the exact maker but its from a good maker as well*
Asrock .. Uhh honestly I don't remember the exact one but if it is really important I could find it.
Windows 7 64bit home

a c 291 U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 4:21:11 AM

45 minutes are actually nothing. To test stability you need at least 12 hours.

How long were you playing the game?

I'd suggest running Memtest.
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 6:17:05 AM

Sunius said:
45 minutes are actually nothing. To test stability you need at least 12 hours.

How long were you playing the game?

I'd suggest running Memtest.



Normally in the games it would shut off in ~10min. Often less.

well only those two games. Every other game works fine.

I'll try memtest.

edit: I have to make a bootable disc for that don't I? I have had problems with that.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 204 U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 7:58:14 AM

also check the dimm part number with the mb qual list. also use hardware monitor from cpu-z and watch the 12v legs of your ps.
some ps have more the one leg and if you put to much on one leg you can cuase it to reboot.
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 8:18:22 AM

smorizio said:
also check the dimm part number with the mb qual list. also use hardware monitor from cpu-z and watch the 12v legs of your ps.
some ps have more the one leg and if you put to much on one leg you can cuase it to reboot.


problem with "overstressing the PSU"

Is prime95 + Furmark at the same time puts both CPU and GPU at 100%.. It doesn't crash or anything.

I'll check the other crap later.. its faaaar to late I should have gone to bed awhile ago.
m
0
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 1:17:50 PM

That really points to memory if GPU and CPU is stable. YOu don't have to make bootable CD, Bootable USB drive works as well.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 2:00:16 PM

I disagree.

If you underclock your gtx560ti and you stop getting crashes, it points to the gtx560ti being clocked to high or not getting enough voltage. I know a lot of people had the same issue when Battlefield 3 came out. Some vendors were too aggressive with their factory overclocks.

Try updating your graphics driver and running memtest since they're quick and easy things to eliminate. Once you've ruled those out, change your gpu settings to match Nvidia's reference design.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 3:20:43 PM

when u say it shut off, did it stay off or restart like you had a bsod?
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 3:38:05 PM

get yourself a copy of hirens bootcd, its free and has TONs of diagnostic utilities and other goodies (including memtest)

it'll come in a .iso image, so all you have to do is burn it to a cd
m
0
l
a c 198 U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 3:43:49 PM

LEPA = Enermax, a good brand.
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 10:31:31 PM

Onus said:
LEPA = Enermax, a good brand.



Yeah it is, hell I hope it is the ram as that would be the cheapest thing to fix and prob is only one stick bad.
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 10:32:27 PM

flank21 said:
get yourself a copy of hirens bootcd, its free and has TONs of diagnostic utilities and other goodies (including memtest)

it'll come in a .iso image, so all you have to do is burn it to a cd


Do you have an sugestion to CD buring software? I am a noob for that kind of stuff... =P last time I burned a iso it didn't make it bootable....

Also I don't see were to download it exactly on his site..
http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd is prob near it...
m
0
l
May 3, 2012 10:57:36 PM



hapkido said:
I disagree.

If you underclock your gtx560ti and you stop getting crashes, it points to the gtx560ti being clocked to high or not getting enough voltage. I know a lot of people had the same issue when Battlefield 3 came out. Some vendors were too aggressive with their factory overclocks.

Try updating your graphics driver and running memtest since they're quick and easy things to eliminate. Once you've ruled those out, change your gpu settings to match Nvidia's reference design.

yeah I have it at stock atm.

the great randini said:
when u say it shut off, did it stay off or restart like you had a bsod?

Its like if someone unplugged my computer/plugged it back in and then pushed the power button to start it.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 1:33:31 AM

Randomacts said:

Now I recently played a indie game that is a bit buggy and uses the Unreal engine. It also shut down with that *kinda like someone unplugging the computer*.

Is there anything else I can test?

I think the culprit goes down to the buggy game itself. What is the game title anyway? Perhaps we can test it in our setup...
m
0
l
May 4, 2012 1:51:51 AM

randomkid said:
I think the culprit goes down to the buggy game itself. What is the game title anyway? Perhaps we can test it in our setup...


Guildwars 2 (Beta weekend event)

Orion: Dino Beatdown (Indie)

Niether of these are testable really for you.. well I guess Orion: Dino Beatdown could be arranged easier but there is no way guildwars 2 would work... the build for guildwars is probably a different one by now anyways in the closed beta.

Could just be that they perhaps both are badly optimized? But it didn't stress my hardware...

For the indie game it is not in a finished state when I played it *big patches coming out soon to fix the last bug before the game officially comes out on Friday*

Edit: Oh and you do not know how happy it would make me if it is the game's fault and my my hardware's . =p

On a side note I am not running the most current drivers because they are buggy.. I am on 290.36 for the GTX 560 ti


Edit 2: I just noticed that for some reason it says it is running under Pci express x8 Gen 2 perhaps that is the issue? I know it is a x16 slot so if it bugs and put to x8 it could make some weird bugs at very specific task?
m
0
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 4:50:09 AM

You don't really need any software for making bootable disc. Download precompiled bootable ISO from the site, extract the .zip archive. Then right click the .iso file and press Burn to Disc.
m
0
l
May 4, 2012 6:02:42 AM

Sunius said:
You don't really need any software for making bootable disc. Download precompiled bootable ISO from the site, extract the .zip archive. Then right click the .iso file and press Burn to Disc.

Burning now with CDBurnerXP *one of the options the official site suggested* once it is done I'll see if it boots.
m
0
l
a c 560 U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 6:26:43 AM

Onus said:
LEPA = Enermax, a good brand.

LEPA is a subsidiary of Ecomaster which also owns ENERMAX.

ENERMAX only makes about 25% of LEPA's model lineup. CWT makes about 65% of the LEPA models. Sirtec makes two of the models.

The only 850 Watt model that LEPA has is the B Series B850-MA made by Sirtec.
m
0
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 6:33:56 AM

Randomacts said:
Burning now with CDBurnerXP *one of the options the official site suggested* once it is done I'll see if it boots.


Just make sure the .Iso file is extracted to the disc, and not written as an archive (when you open the disc contents, not .iso file should be there, but many other files).
m
0
l
May 4, 2012 11:43:35 PM

Sunius said:
Just make sure the .Iso file is extracted to the disc, and not written as an archive (when you open the disc contents, not .iso file should be there, but many other files).



Herp derp I did the archive..

So I only do the .iso file? What one?
m
0
l
!