Sign in with
Your question

Will a new power supply affect my overclock?

Last response: in CPUs
November 2, 2012 7:28:09 AM

Just bought a new PSU on Newegg, the corsair tx750m and I was just curious if I installed this would it affect my overclock on my Phenom II 850 which is overclocked to 3.96GHz from 3.30.

I spent hours and hours getting this cpu stable, will all that go to waste when I install the new psu?
a c 79 à CPUs
November 2, 2012 7:58:27 AM

No...Since OC tweaks are all BIOS based, switching PSU wont affect OC especially since you've picked out a decent one. Instability in such a case will only result if the psu cannot meet the power required in the OC'ed set up. simply put, it is safe to go for a higher power or equally powered new psu compared to your existing one if your are not sure of the system's power draw.
m
l
November 3, 2012 11:54:26 PM

satyamdubey said:
No...Since OC tweaks are all BIOS based, switching PSU wont affect OC especially since you've picked out a decent one. Instability in such a case will only result if the psu cannot meet the power required in the OC'ed set up. simply put, it is safe to go for a higher power or equally powered new psu compared to your existing one if your are not sure of the system's power draw.

Ok cool thanks for the info.

Funny thing is I bought the tx750m for like $70 bucks but then just now bought a cooler master hybrid silent pro 850w for $150 plus the $40 rebate so I couldnt pass up the deal. I'll just end up selling the tx750m for the same price i got it for.

Thanks again
m
l
!