Sign in with
Your question

AMD CPU

Last response: in CPUs
November 2, 2012 8:45:06 AM

Hi Guys,
My brother's AMD processor is dead. But his motherboard is still working fine. He has a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev. 1.1) Mobo. He was running a AMD Athlon Dual Core 64 X2 6000+(3 GHz) processor. I think the mobo has AM2+ socket. So does it support AM3 or AM3+ CPUs because AM2+ CPUs are out of market now??

Pls help guys.... my bro is really depressed!!!

More about : amd cpu

a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 8:53:48 AM

Your motherboard should be able to run the AM3 line of CPUs but not AM3+. However just to ensure it works, update your bios through here:

http://ca.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2...

With the latest bios the AM3 processors will run without a hitch. I recommend settling for a Phenom II X4 955-965 since they are under $100 and perform real good. If you are into heavy apps that make use of threads then go for the Phenom II X6.
November 2, 2012 9:19:35 AM

Hello Socialfox,
Thanx for your fast reply. So you are saying that my brothers mobo can run AM3 cpus but not AM3+, which means AM3 processors run in AM2+ socket, right?? but the last Athlon processor he used came with lots of pins under it, aren't the AM3 cpus pinless?? Isn't there going to be a fit-in problem?? and sorry i know nothing about CPUs......
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 9:30:10 AM

No AM3 CPUs have 941 pins, am2 has 940 pins. The only difference is 1 pin, anyways with an AM3 processor in an AM2 motherboard you do lose a bit of speed due to its old memory style.
November 2, 2012 9:42:42 AM

So I need to buy a AM3 cpu right? 941 pins will fit in correctly in that old mobo??
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 9:54:36 AM

Yes it will work just fine, you may suffer 5-10% performance loss though. You will be using DDR2.
November 2, 2012 10:05:31 AM

So if i go for 6-core processor, which one you will suggest??
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 10:25:48 AM

If you look at Gigabytes web site for the motherboard it lists that only the 95watt X6 CPU's are supported
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 10:29:34 AM

That depends on your budget, if you are into gaming then four cores are equivalent to six cores. The six core CPUs are just better at heavily threaded applications such as editing. It would also help speed up conversion times of files on the computer. I would suggest the 1045t as the best AVAILABLE Phenom processor for six cores. Just like the AM2 CPUs then AM3 CPUs are starting to become rare.

Here is the six core CPU (95 watts):
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

And this is what I recommend if you are just gaming or not using for heavily threader applications (125 watts):

Both CPUs are on sale so you should make up your mind and go for one or the other. Another option would be buying a new AM3+ motherboard to utilize the new CPUs.
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 12:22:58 PM

I have a buddy that upgraded to a 965 Black edition and it's been running solid for over 3 years now. It's only a quad but it gets the job done. Looking at about $100 from most vendors.

I personally would recommend buying a new mobo/cpu so that you can purchase faster RAM - you can snag a good 8 GB (2X4GB) DDR3 kit for $30-$40 and a good 990FX motherboard can be purchased for less than $150.

Going from a Dual core to a Quad core is one thing, but going to an Octo core would be like driving a Ferrari for him.

Just another thing to consider
November 2, 2012 3:18:38 PM

Thanx guys,
So can I only buy quad or six core cpus that runs on 95 watt, or can i go for higher wattage like 125 watt cpus??
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 3:44:22 PM

http://uk.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-po...

Thats the CPU list for your motherboard and PCB 1.1, it supports some 125W parts (but old obscure ones). To be honest unless you can find the 95W version of a Phenom II X4 955 cheaply then just accept you need a new board.

A cheap FX or Phenom II 965BE combo with 4GB of RAM could be dug up for not much over $160 and could be partly offset ebaying the old stuff.
November 2, 2012 6:13:51 PM

socialfox said:
That depends on your budget, if you are into gaming then four cores are equivalent to six cores. The six core CPUs are just better at heavily threaded applications such as editing. It would also help speed up conversion times of files on the computer. I would suggest the 1045t as the best AVAILABLE Phenom processor for six cores. Just like the AM2 CPUs then AM3 CPUs are starting to become rare.

Here is the six core CPU (95 watts):

And this is what I recommend if you are just gaming or not using for heavily threader applications (125 watts):

Both CPUs are on sale so you should make up your mind and go for one or the other. Another option would be buying a new AM3+ motherboard to utilize the new CPUs.

Use to be true but games are now starting to use 6 cores (BF3 multiplayer, just to name one) and hence will run better with 6 cores. Here in this multiplayer BF3 bench the slower clocked 1100T(6 cores @ 3.3GHz) gets more than 10fps over the faster clocked 980 (4 cores @ 3.7GHz)
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 6:23:40 PM

sheepsnowadays said:
Use to be true but games are now starting to use 6 cores (BF3 multiplayer, just to name one) and hence will run better with 6 cores. Here in this multiplayer BF3 bench the slower clocked 1100T(6 cores @ 3.3GHz) gets more than 10fps over the faster clocked 980 (4 cores @ 3.7GHz)

Well can we say all games are relying now on six cores? Battlefield 3 is one of those games that *can*utilize six cores, but to be honest there aren't many games for six cores CPUs. Remember that games are not created/optimized for six cores yet, Windows 7 just spreads the load amongst all cores. As of today quad cores are still the sweet spot for PC games, there are very few games that utilize quad cores to the max like GTA IV. Is the price difference for 10 fps worth it? Generally six cores costs more than a quad core. Essentially, 6-8 cores are a waste of money for gaming. That is the reason I recommend quad cores for gaming and 6-8 core CPUs for heavily threaded application where the cores will be useful.
November 2, 2012 6:26:56 PM

Today quad cores are the sweet spot but what about tommorow?
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 6:34:30 PM

sheepsnowadays said:

You do have a point of the future, but we are not in the future yet. Tomorrow (figure of speech, I know you mean soon) is too early for six cores to be used in gaming. I believe quad cores will last a few more years before being replaced by six cores and you will notice that when six cores start to become more prevalent in computer stores will be an indication that gaming will take to six cores. As of now there are few six cores and exclude the FX-6100 since it is almost a tri-core CPU with three executive cores and 6 threads. All games and future games that have released system specifications that I know of have not put six core CPUs in the recommended list yet.
a c 283 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 2, 2012 6:35:34 PM

sheepsnowadays said:

By the time that really matters for every single game/application, the 1100T (and even the "8 core" FX CPU's) will be too old to matter.
November 2, 2012 7:32:33 PM

Hey just a quick note. Please confirm if the mo-bo supports 95 W or 125 W processors.
I had an Asus M2A-VM and if only supported up to the PII 945.
Just saying.....
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 7:34:12 PM

sheepsnowadays said:
Well if this article is true then we are already benefiting from 6+ cores in numerous games.
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,794274/From-Medal-of...

Be that as it may be but is the price justifiable for the performance gain? I skimmed through the article and it most games showed a 5%-10% increase in performance with the infrequent 20% or 30%. Just for the record one of the CPUs used in that was the Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition which is priced at a $1000! Is that really worth the performance when compared to a mere $70-$150 dollar CPU? At the end of the day for a 5% to 30% performance gain do you really want to pay 10x more? That price of a $1000 was not exactly meant for a gaming rig. Either way other hexa core CPUs based on AMD are nowhere near the 980x so don't expect the same performance as it.
a c 283 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 2, 2012 7:47:59 PM

And that's an old article, as well. I imagine the quads they were testing were quite old, too.

Any fast quad you buy now will perform as well as any of those 6 core CPU's tested then.

A fast quad (2500K/3570K) will last for at least 3-4 more years. Who cares about "up to" a 30% performance increase between quads and hexa's tested two years ago? Not me.
November 2, 2012 7:54:23 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
And that's an old article, as well. I imagine the quads they were testing were quite old, too.

Any fast quad you buy now will perform as well as any of those 6 core CPU's tested then.

A fast quad (2500K/3570K) will last for at least 3-4 more years. Who cares about "up to" a 30% performance increase between quads and hexa's tested two years ago? Not me.

No, you don't care so i don't know why you posted, but the OP does because hes looking for a CPU to fit his socket.
a c 283 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 2, 2012 7:56:58 PM

sheepsnowadays said:
No, you don't care so i don't know why you posted, but the OP does because hes looking for a CPU to fit his socket.

Just saying that your logic is flawed. Not necessarily for the OP (an X6 actually makes sense for him, in his situation), but just in general.
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 7:58:12 PM

sheepsnowadays said:
http://ca.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2...
Click on CPU support list and there your answer

Well its not that I am picking on you specifically, I have nothing against you friend, but it would not have hurt to read the thread from the beginning, I posted that exact link around 6 AM when the thread was created. In addition, others have already linked the motherboard CPU compatibility list as well.
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 8:13:43 PM

I would not classify any of our actions as trolling, all the replies in this thread (except this one now) is related to the topic and is not causing emotional distress to anyone. When you do post on a forum and you do have a post that others do not agree with its normal for people to argue and prove you're wrong, truth is I have been proved wrong twice on the forums because I lacked knowledge on that specific section and I learned from my mistakes. People argue because they want to ensure the OP gets a good answer that is correct and not with any false information. If it makes you feel any better I meant no hard feelings.

- Socialfox :) 
November 2, 2012 8:44:08 PM

socialfox said:
I would not classify any of our actions as trolling, all the replies in this thread (except this one now) is related to the topic and is not causing emotional distress to anyone. When you do post on a forum and you do have a post that others do not agree with its normal for people to argue and prove you're wrong, truth is I have been proved wrong twice on the forums because I lacked knowledge on that specific section and I learned from my mistakes. People argue because they want to ensure the OP gets a good answer that is correct and not with any false information. If it makes you feel any better I meant no hard feelings.

- Socialfox :) 

I know I just proved you wrong about games benefiting from 6 cores and you learned from it, but your last post was targeting and not helping the OP. This is a troll fest. I am even trolling right now.
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 8:54:39 PM

sheepsnowadays said:
I know I just proved you wrong about games benefiting from 6 cores and you learned from it, but your last post was targeting and not helping the OP. This is a troll fest. I am even trolling right now.

I did not admit to learning anything from you today, I still take the same stance as I did an hour ago. It is a bit easy to jump to conclusions isn't it? :non:  Anyways I will not be talking of this anymore, this is going off topic.
!