I get regular power surges and my UPS ticks a lot due to a welding pla

In our home, there is a mechanic who often use a welding plant. When he use it, I think we get a power surge. My UPS ticks madly (not beep, it ticks). Sometimes, I even lose power to the keyboard. When typing, some keys get missing.

1) My question is, is it good for the computer? The UPS claimed to have surge protection. But isn't it working? What should I do to protect my PC?

2) The second question is, I also have a broadband router which is not connected to the UPS. Will it be effected?
4 answers Last reply
More about regular power surges ticks welding
  1. I just noticed that Im using a belkin surge protector (http://www.belkin.com/in/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=638136) Isn't that enough?
  2. Fixed Link: http://www.belkin.com/in/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=638136
    Do you also have an UPS??

First off, A surge protection strip does nothing for your poblem. Surge protection is for when the input goes very High, ie a lightning strick. Your problem is what is refered to as a Brown-out. This is when a High current device (ie Refriderators compressors, Heaters, sometimes even vacumn cleaners) click on and loads the AC input voltage down for a short time. You can often tell this if your House lights dim, then come back up.
    An UPS may, or may not help as it depends on (A) How low the voltage drops as Most UPS switch to battery power if AC input drops below 90/95 VAC. (B) duration of low voltage, usally specified in milliSecs.

Before you ask, Yes Brown-outs are NOT good as the cause the Input power Supplies of devices (Computer PSU and AC adaptor for router) to work harder to try and compensate.

Hate to say this but the real corrective action is to check Household wiring, and/or posisbly switching to a different outlet.
    Not sure what his welder is (120VAC or 220VAC). In USA half of your house is wired to One side of the HOT AC input, the ther half is on the other leg. So if His welder is 120 VAC then find an outlet that is NOT on the same leg of the AC
  3. Do you have both a UPS and a surge protector? A surge protector doesn't help when the voltage drops too low (probably what happens in your environment).

1) The UPS (presuming that you really have one) clicks when it switches to battery because the voltage is outside the configured range, but the PC is protected.

2) It depends on the quality of its power supply.
  4. In the ideal world you want stable power all the time.

The best way to go about that is:

wall --> ups --> surge protector --> pc/monitor/router/etc

If you do that, you will be good for the most part.

However, it is important that these defenses be in good working order. If either the UPS or the surge protector are old and have been continually used they might have lost some of their ability to protect things the way they should.

A simple search should be able to tell about how long those things last.

I agree with the above posters too, you don't want to be in a brown out situation and if you don't have an UPS I would definitely get one asap.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Power Power Surge Components