Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading 8600 gtx to...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 3, 2012 6:26:27 AM

In a nut shell, I just WANT to upgrade. Since it is a want and not a need, I have patience. That being said, I don't understand how to tell what I will bottleneck at. I've been doing research for about a month or so but I don't have tons of time to go in depth as much as I would like before I make a decision. So my questions is what card can I upgrade to and get the most performance for my budget, but also what can I upgrade to before bottleneck (like top of the line card, negating price)? I've had my current graphics card for at least 3-4 years so I will probably have this one for 2 years before upgrading again. I would like to know what I will max out in and what else will need to be upgraded before buying the next card??? Does this make sense?

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 1-3 weeks

BUDGET RANGE:$150-175

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming )WoW, D3, SC2, some first person shooters but I wont make a decision based on having max settings for Crysis or COD) and home theater/watching movies

CURRENT GPU Geforce 8600 GTX
POWER SUPPLY: RocketFish RF-900WPS
http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/products/computer-acc...

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
GIGABYTE GA-X58-USB3 LGA 1366 Intel X58 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel - Core i7 950 OEMIntel Core i7 950 Quad-Core (4 x 3.06GHz) Processor; 4.8 GT s FSB; Socket LGA 1366; 8MB Cache; Power Consumption 130W

6 Gigs Ram (will look to see what kind in morning.)

MANY MANY Fans including the hulking beast COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler Intel Core i7 compatible
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Not to worried about cooling yet, but having this large heatsink does limit me with airspace to cool stuff.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes / No / Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes / No / Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

More about : upgrading 8600 gtx

a c 106 U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 6:33:04 AM

though i would sincerely like the know the amperage on the 12v rail since thats the most important thing on a psu rather than watts, but at that price range, its a

AMD Radeon HD 6870 or a Nvidia GTX 560
m
l

Best solution

a c 87 U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 6:48:54 AM

The 6870 is the better choice between it and the GTX 560 because the 6870 is a lot more energy efficient than the GTX 560 (which happens to be one of the least energy efficient cards in Nvidia's lineup, even less energy efficient than many higher end cards) despite the two having fairly parrallel performance. However, look up the games that you want to play.

Some games favor AMD or Nvidia cards of the same price range and you want to be sure that you are getting a card that performs the best for you're specific games. The 560 TI is also better for compute and has CUDA and PhysX support, if that matters to you then you might want to live with the higher power consumption.

@dudewitbow

If it's a 900w, then it undoubtedly has more than enough maximum 12v amperage to do the job. I'm not saying that asking for the 12v amperage rating for the PSU is a dumb question, just that it is undoubtedly good enough for this. My only concern would be rather or not this PSU is too old and should be replaced to avoid a failure, or if it's age has greatly hindered it's maximum rated power transfer.
Related resources
May 3, 2012 6:53:24 AM

this is a complete shot in the dark on PSU but

Completely wrong
m
l
May 3, 2012 12:54:00 PM

Ive updated the original post with the ocrrect information.

Also I want to do eyefinity. Is there anything special about this card compared to others 6870's?

XFX Double D HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 6:12:25 PM

Eyefinity with displays of what resolution? A 6870 can't handle much more than a single 1680x1050 display well in some games, it has zero chance of doing it with three. You would need something like dual 7870s in CF, dual GTX 580 3GBs in SLI, or dual Radeon 6950. Did you mean that you only wanted to do it with two displays? In that case, you would still need at least a Radeon

Eyefinity is supported by all Radeon 5000, 6000, and 7000 cards (and probably all future generations as well, or at least something like it). They don't all say it that they have it, but they all have it.
m
l
May 4, 2012 7:24:32 AM

thank you very much for the quick replys.

last quick question. would it be worth waiting till mid-may to get a card or just go ahead and snag one up now? I dont have the slightest clue if sites have some nice sales or price drops in may, just a rumor i heard. or has the 6870 been about the same price for a while and no price adjustment to that model or any others in the for-seeable future, basically, and no one can predict the future?!?
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 2:11:59 PM

We can't really predict the future all too accurately. The 6870 might drop, but it might not. I can say that it is highly unlikely that it will increase in price, but it would take far more time and effort to ensure the accuracy of much else and even then, it's still going to be little more than speculation.
m
l
May 5, 2012 4:53:52 AM

Best answer selected by tbeer.
m
l
!