Nvidia control question

JohnD212

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
I've just started playing the game Tera and just recently started having this issue where textures will suddenly pop from high res into low res. It can happen literally when my character goes one step closer to something. If she steps back again the resolution on those textures will pop back into high res. It's very jarring to see. It also isn't only on resolutions at a certain distance...some further off will be low res and might change back and might not. It's confusing.

In the screen shot I linked below (click to see it up close better) I tried to show what I"m seeing. You'll notice the wall I'm facing. I've played with all the setting in game with no change at all. I've asked on forums but get nothing helpful but I was wondering if there's a setting in the Nvidia control panel that might control that. I don't tend to mess with the Nvidia control panel very much but I did notice there is a Tera profile (though almost all the settings just say application controlled).

Any ideas? It's not the in-game AA. I turned that off and on and saw no change.

Thanks so much.

Example.jpg

Games often drop the quality of distant objects in order to lighten the load on the graphics. I don't know what you can do to stop it or if it's even possible (although I assume that it is) for you to stop it. Maybe there is an in-game setting or driver setting that controls the aggressiveness of the GPU's distance quality reduction.

If that were true, then game makers wouldn't allow you to change graphics settings to suit your machine. World of Warcraft can be run at near minimum settings on even ancient P4 systems using a GMA 950 integrated graphics process (one of the slowest GPUs imaginable), but if you pump up the settings and AA to the max with a resolution of at least 1080p, then it becomes a fairly intensive game. It's not like its BF3 or Metro 2033, but it is something that needs a high end graphics card such as a Radeon 6870 or 6950. If you have a 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 display, then you can up the resolution to that and watch even WoW bog down some decent graphics cards. You're just trolling about something that you didn't even know about.

Games often reduce the quality of textures that are farther away from you because it allows the GPU to focus on the textures that are closest. So long as the quality reduction isn't too aggressive, it can be like how you can see something better as it gets closer. In this case, it seems to be too aggressive and if possible, should be brought down.

@looniam

Like aviral asked, providing us with detailed specs of your computer might allow us to be of more help.

JohnD212

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
What's weird about this is it's the exact opposite in most cases...the textures will be fine from a distance and the closer I get they'll suddenly pop into this smudgy mess.

Now that is weird. It shouldn't do that. Maybe it's just that they become more pixelated as you get closer because the quality reducing/increasing aggressiveness is actually too low. Of course, it could just not be on and you are simply seeing the textures up close. Think of it like this.

If I have a 30" 720p TV and look at it from eight feet away, then it looks good. If I look at it from only one or two feet away, then it looks much worse.

If that is all that is happening, then perhaps I was over-thinking it before. Of course, if you find such a setting as I mentioned and make it more aggressive instead of less aggressive, then maybe it will improve this problem.

G

@ blazorthon
i appreciate your offer to help, my specs are in my sig. but right now its not an issue to have a rock or small log pop up from out of the distance as i walk toward it in MW3, Cysis, or BF2BC.

the details look great in many instances and i hit 30-45 fps with high/ultra settings @ 1920x1080 on my 21.5" dell. i think that is not too bad for a $125 card.

aviral

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
The texture {or pixels or(resolution)} changes with the graphical environment to give you smooth gameplay according to the settings which you have configured and your settings get reflected when you enter a more rich graphical environment.

I don't think so that this type of problem you will be experience on other games.