alanburke62

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
Well Folks,

I am looking to build my first gaming rig for myself and am currently looking for some good components and have come across these deals.......

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=38649&vpn=CMPSU-750HX&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1368

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371052

Also, this is what I was previously looking at for my build.... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0081XXIRA/?tag=pcpapi-20

Any help in trying to explain whats better and some other key points would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Alan

Solution
Just to preface, if you do overclock and go dual cards, you will need to get a beefier psu later anyway.

But for now, I would say the Antec. My reasoning being that it has 4x-12v rails at 40 amps instead of 1x-12 v rail at 60 amps in the Corsair.

Neither of these psu's should ever have a short because they are high quality psu's but if you were to get a short in it the single volt rail would damage all components attached to it(mb,proc,vga) where as in the 4x-40amp scenario, where whichever rail suffered the short will be the component lost. This is a very gritty explanation, for simplistic purposes.

The extra two year warranty for the corsair should be a null factor cause i assume in 5 years youll have a new rig anyway.

The only...

alanburke62

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
I probably should of said whats my rig going to be like...Well here is a rough idea of what I am going for at the minute, but still very much up in the air.....

i5-3570k (not changing)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Asus P8Z77-V PRO (not changing)
8GB RAM (just bought )
Samsung 830 Series 256GB
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
MSI GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card (this may change to a 7970 yet.)
Rosewill Capstone 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V PSU
Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer

Maybe at some point I may go with dual cards, but thats way way down the line. I will try do the same with over clocking my CPU and GPU, again, way down the line.

alanburke62

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
oh and my case,lol.....well, still up in the air. I am looking at some of these....

Fractal Design Define R4
COOLER MASTER Storm Enforcer
Rosewill THOR V2
AZZA Solano 1000
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced Blue Edition

bdbeall

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Just to preface, if you do overclock and go dual cards, you will need to get a beefier psu later anyway.

But for now, I would say the Antec. My reasoning being that it has 4x-12v rails at 40 amps instead of 1x-12 v rail at 60 amps in the Corsair.

Neither of these psu's should ever have a short because they are high quality psu's but if you were to get a short in it the single volt rail would damage all components attached to it(mb,proc,vga) where as in the 4x-40amp scenario, where whichever rail suffered the short will be the component lost. This is a very gritty explanation, for simplistic purposes.

The extra two year warranty for the corsair should be a null factor cause i assume in 5 years youll have a new rig anyway.

The only other real difference between the two are the number of sata connectors and pci connectors. so if these may effect you that should help pick one.

Solution

alanburke62

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
No, thats a great explanation, thanks a million. The only thing is what do I connect with sata and pci connectors,lol....like I said, this is going to be my first ever build. Mind you, I will have help building it :)

bdbeall

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Sata connectors go to hard drives and dev drives, pci cables will go to video cards, ussualy 2 cables per card. If you only ever have 2 video cards in your system, either will do, and if you alway have less than 9 hard drives you will be fine lol.

bdbeall

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
if you want a mid tower(normal size) case out the the two you have in your options, I would recommend the Storm Enforcer. The fractal cases are ussualy designed for quietness, but consequently trap heat better. Another upside to the Storm enforcer is that you dont need to buy a 2.5" to 3.25" adapter for your ssd.

If you want a full tower(larger case), I would recommend the haf 932. I ha ve built 3 computers using that case, and the cable management options in all of the HAF cases are second to none. Also I am not a cooler master fanboy, they just make really good products. (please refer to the hyper212 series as a reference lol)

alanburke62

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
Well bdbeall, I think I will bite the bullet and go ahead and get the full case and the antec. I think it will come out under $200 after all rebates if I get both today...good deal ya think??

Nice build the Rosewill Capstone 750W is a great powersupply it's built by superflower and no need to change it if you want the very best then i suggest you get a seasonic power supply ;)