Which cooler for i5 3570K?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Cooling
  • Intel i5
Last response: in CPUs
November 2, 2012 1:09:52 PM

Hi,
I am looking for good and silence cooler for my i5 3570K 3.4GHz. I am not going to overclock because I think it is pretty powerfull processor already.
I am limited by my case dimensions. It is Cooler Master Elite 334 NVIDIA Edition with dimensions 187 x 421 x 485 mm . I do not know if I can put there this cooler http://www.alza.cz/EN/xigmatek-gaia-sd1283-heatpipe-coo... with no problems around its size. Thank you very much, and sorry for my bad english.

More about : cooler 3570k

a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 1:34:24 PM

Why not just use the heat sink and fan combo that come with the 3570k?
m
l
November 2, 2012 1:38:18 PM

Because it is very noisy under load. I am using it with gtx 660 to play games.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 1:45:40 PM

I use one with the heat sink/fan that comes with it and it isn't any louder when I play games than it is at any other time.

Are you sure it is on there right and everything?
m
l
a c 190 à CPUs
November 2, 2012 1:47:18 PM

If you need a quiet system I would go with a cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo and replace the fan with a quiet one.
m
l
November 2, 2012 3:09:41 PM

Raiddinn said:
I use one with the heat sink/fan that comes with it and it isn't any louder when I play games than it is at any other time.

Are you sure it is on there right and everything?

I am 100% sure that everything is installed correctly. The thermal paste on the heatsink from Intel was replaced by better from arctic in a very thin film, as it should be. My temperatures is from 30-35°C in idle to 60-65 in load. But in load it sounds like starting jet.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 3:32:13 PM

If you wont overclock why go with the K series?
Since you wont overclock go with anything silent as IntelEnthusiast said,get a good cooler and replace fans.You can use a cheap cooler like the 212 since you dont need much heat dissipation.Your temps are fine and last I heard the stock fans make alot of noise past certain rpm.You can always replace the fan and save bucks.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 3:39:57 PM

The stock cooler is quiet, even under load. Are you sure it's not your 660 that you're hearing?
m
l
November 2, 2012 3:43:01 PM

I actually found damaged arctic cooling freezer pro rev2. It should keep cool cpu with 130W. I placed it to repair. I used it like 2 years ago. I think it will be good as my actual cpu has TDP 77W.
I wanted to put 212 but i do not know if it will fit into my case.
And last thing: I will overclock my CPU but later- when I will see that it is not powerfull enough for new games.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 3:43:03 PM

Aftermarket heat sinks are worse than the one that ships with the processor in that they don't do any cooling of the chipset whatsoever.

By moving to an aftermarket cooler, you gain in an area where you don't actually need any help (cooling the processor) and you leave yourself wide open in a reasonably important area (voltage regulators, etc).

On that basis, I can't really recommend changing to a Hyper 212 for this application.

You might as well just get a different fan for the standard heat sink if you seriously can't stand the one that it comes with.

However, it sounds pretty weird to me that your processor fan sounds like a jet takeoff. I have never heard my 3570k or my wife's 3570k sound anything other than what I would describe as really quiet.

Maybe it is a symptom of using the bad Elite 334 case more than a problem with the current fan.

Are you sure that it is the processor fan that is making the noise btw? Like have you tested by unplugging other case fans or taking out the video card to see if it isn't one of those fans making the noise? In my experience it is most often the video card fans that are very loud rather than the processor fans, especially for people that are not OCing.
m
l
November 2, 2012 3:48:08 PM

Raiddinn said:
Aftermarket heat sinks are worse than the one that ships with the processor in that they don't do any cooling of the chipset whatsoever.

By moving to an aftermarket cooler, you gain in an area where you don't actually need any help (cooling the processor) and you leave yourself wide open in a reasonably important area (voltage regulators, etc).

On that basis, I can't really recommend changing to a Hyper 212 for this application.

You might as well just get a different fan for the standard heat sink if you seriously can't stand the one that it comes with.

However, it sounds pretty weird to me that your processor fan sounds like a jet takeoff. I have never heard my 3570k or my wife's 3570k sound anything other than what I would describe as really quiet.

Maybe it is a symptom of using the bad Elite 334 case more than a problem with the current fan.

Are you sure that it is the processor fan that is making the noise btw? Like have you tested by unplugging other case fans or taking out the video card to see if it isn't one of those fans making the noise? In my experience it is most often the video card fans that are very loud rather than the processor fans, especially for people that are not OCing.

I am sure that it is the cpu cooler what makes the noise. Before I had Intel pentium e5700 3ghz with that gtx660 (zeah i know it was bottleneck like hell) and with stock cooler. It wasnt really a difference between idle and load. But now it is unthinkable to leave the stock cooler cooling the CPU.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 4:06:54 PM

Are you sure that you put the paste on right?

It is conceivable that if there is an air bubble in the paste that heat might not be transferring correctly, making the processor fan have to work much harder than it should.

Before you go replacing the processor fan, I would at least try removing the current paste and putting on a new amount, both using the now current best practices. If you are not sure what those are we can assist with that as well.

Also, how old was that paste that you used? Is it a bottle you have had laying around for a few years now, or did you buy it at the same time as the 3570k?

One more thing, which games in particular cause you this problem? I have a reasonably comparable video card (with no fan on it) and I would be interested in seeing how my 3570k reacts to one of those games, if I have one of the ones you are playing.
m
l
November 2, 2012 4:37:23 PM

Raiddinn said:
Are you sure that you put the paste on right?

It is conceivable that if there is an air bubble in the paste that heat might not be transferring correctly, making the processor fan have to work much harder than it should.

Before you go replacing the processor fan, I would at least try removing the current paste and putting on a new amount, both using the now current best practices. If you are not sure what those are we can assist with that as well.

Also, how old was that paste that you used? Is it a bottle you have had laying around for a few years now, or did you buy it at the same time as the 3570k?

One more thing, which games in particular cause you this problem? I have a reasonably comparable video card (with no fan on it) and I would be interested in seeing how my 3570k reacts to one of those games, if I have one of the ones you are playing.

So, first thing: temperatures are not the problem. In prime95 test, the highest temperature i get is 71°C. Paste is putted correctly. I had it in tube for few months. But strange thing is that in the test it is not so bad with noise but it surely is not quiet.
All of the games are making jet from PC: AC brotherhood, Skyrim, GTA 4 - gta 4 more than the others. All of these game are running at highest possible settings.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 4:55:10 PM

Theory:
when the games are running, possibly, the GPU is heating up your case, so you can't get the hot air out. So the temp on your CPU may be rising so the fanspeed is increased.
To test this theory, monitor your cpu temp while playing your game that causes the cpu fan to go high speed and cause noise.

Either way, if you're set on it, just get the evo. Providing the same cooling it should be less loud.

But the point is maybe you need to increase your exhaust fans-or exhaust fan fancurves to get more hot air out instead of changing the cpu cooler
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 5:12:58 PM

I'm betting it's your 660 fan and your old CPU couldn't feed the GPU enough to cause it to spin up. I've used fanspeed monitors to watch mine, and on skyrim my 670 fan spins up as fast as it will go while the fan on the Evo yawns.

You could also plug the monitor into your mobo, unplug the GPU, run a game and see if the sound is the same.
m
l
November 2, 2012 9:32:01 PM

Right now I am running on HD 4000 to test if the gfx is really the source of noise. After ten minutes playing GTA 4 my pc started to scream like hell. When i was putting the gtx660 back, i noticed that the cable which provides power to CPU is very close to cpu fan. I putted it away, started computer, and now the most of the noise is gone. I feel so embarassed now. Sorry guy, and thank you for your assistance.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 9:56:20 PM

toomy12 said:
Right now I am running on HD 4000 to test if the gfx is really the source of noise. After ten minutes playing GTA 4 my pc started to scream like hell. When i was putting the gtx660 back, i noticed that the cable which provides power to CPU is very close to cpu fan. I putted it away, started computer, and now the most of the noise is gone. I feel so embarassed now. Sorry guy, and thank you for your assistance.

Very nice! Problems always seem so simple once we fix them.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 3, 2012 3:40:21 AM

Alternatively, you can take the side of the case off and lay the PC down with the newly open side facing up to the ceiling.

That emulates the good sort of case with PSU on the bottom and fan slots facing up toward the ceiling.

- Edit - Nm, I guess it is fixed now. Wasn't a problem with the fan malfunctioning after all.
m
l
a c 140 à CPUs
November 3, 2012 4:30:46 AM

If your case has a rear fan mount near CPU height with no fan attached, you might want to setup an exhaust fan there to drag hot air out of the CPU area so minor obstructions like cables won't cause as much of a problem anymore.

The fan you put there does not need to be a crazy-CFM screamer either, it just needs to provide sideways airflow out of the CPU area to prevent the HSF from re-ingesting the same hot air continuously.

The rear exhaust is the single most important optional case fan you can have.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 3, 2012 3:06:26 PM

Only because he needs to get a different case.
m
l
!