Gtx 680 and Physx ?

Hi.


So far, i have been unable to play any game with physx turned on.
I cant say that i have had any good GPUs.
First i had a 8800gtx 768, and then a gigabyte OC 460 1gb.

They all marketed themselves as a "nvidia card with physx"... so in theory it should be playable with physx on in games.
But lets face it, thats a lie.
No one enjoys playing games with 1-20 fps.


So then im wondering. How does a 680 handle the physx calculations?
Can i play games, at 1920x1080, with high graphics (NO AA) and physx turned on, and still have a decent fps(50+)?


Maybe there are benchmarks somewhere wich tests games with physx on?
I have only found benchmarks with physx turned off so far.
13 answers Last reply
More about physx
  1. Basically yes.
    I played Batman a lot with Physx and 3D Vision, and my setup roughly equals a GTX 580. (That's a good amount slower compared to GTX 680.)
  2. Yeah but then what fps did you have?

    I know some people who thinks its ok to play with 20 fps.
    Personally i would not play with that fps at all, if i have 100 sometimes, and it can go down to 20, im not happy either, i want at least 50 minimum.
  3. What game are you trying to play? A 460 on its own will probably struggle a lot of games. If the game then steals some of that power to run GPU accelerated PhysX, it's going to struggle even more.
  4. thanks bystander but what i was wondering was how will a gtx680 perform with physx on and high graphics details.

    I own a 460, so its obvious that i dont need to know how that performs, since i allready know :)
  5. it depends on the game.

    but very few games even use physx. fewer still use it in any meaningful way. I personally think it would be stupid to buy a card for physx.

    but to answer the question, it will run it very well regardless. My 680 has maxed every game ive thrown at it. if it can do BF3 with everything at max, all the AA and FXAA then im sure that one of the half baked console ports with physx tacked on will run beautifully.
  6. When I played Batman on GTX 460 with PhysX on, I didn't notice significant FPS drop. I can't verify this now, since my PC is running GTX 560 Ti 448 now, though. What version of driver do you have? Did you check the PhysX setting on nVidia control panel? You can try this, and you can crank up a little bit more than the proposed settings.

    http://geforce.com/optimize/optimal-game-settings/Batman-Arkham-City-GeForce-GTX-460-OPS
  7. Fjeskiny said:
    Yeah but then what fps did you have?

    I know some people who thinks its ok to play with 20 fps.
    Personally i would not play with that fps at all, if i have 100 sometimes, and it can go down to 20, im not happy either, i want at least 50 minimum.


    When I get home I will run Batman benchmark. I will get home in 6 hours from now, if you pacient enough.. :)
  8. I tried Batman Arkham City here. Weird, but my benchmark gives me almost same results, using 3D Vision, or not!
    Without:
    a not nice dip to 21 fps minimum
    and 44 fps average.

    With
    the same dip to 21 fps minimum
    and 49 fps average.

    It looks like some "bug" what happens always in the same part
  9. weird now this I have to try when i get home
  10. vitornob said:
    I tried Batman Arkham City here. Weird, but my benchmark gives me almost same results, using 3D Vision, or not!
    Without:
    a not nice dip to 21 fps minimum
    and 44 fps average.

    With
    the same dip to 21 fps minimum
    and 49 fps average.

    It looks like some "bug" what happens always in the same part



    Was that with all settings on?
    Physx high and with AA?
  11. Fjeskiny said:
    Was that with all settings on?
    Physx high and with AA?


    Everything on max, including AA and Physx, except for DX11. DX11 is broken in that game.
  12. vitornob said:
    Everything on max, including AA and Physx, except for DX11. DX11 is broken in that game.



    ok i tested aswell.

    everything was max, physx high.
    dx11 off

    AA was NVIDIA(TM) 32X CSAA (Dont know if this is max, it was furthest to the right so i assumed it was)


    1920x1080


    min fps 22

    avarage 50


    decent? Or does my 680 underperform as hell?
  13. DX11 issue for the game has been fixed months ago. Chances are your game has been already patched, if your game is on steam.

    My GTX 560 Ti 448 gives me between 40 - 60 fps with everything max @838MHz/2000MHz OC. 460 GTX SLI should be able to give more than this. Did you update the driver?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Games Physx Graphics