Where to report these jerks?

Found this posted in alt.marketing.online.ebay:

http://www.ants4game.com/

I'm digging through WoW's site, but not finding anything direct. I'd like
to see these slimy bastards go down.

Michele
19 answers Last reply
More about where report jerks

    "Michele Goudie" <michelegl@ameriwreck.net> wrote in message
    > Found this posted in alt.marketing.online.ebay:
    >
    > http://www.ants4game.com/
    >

    > I'm digging through WoW's site, but not finding anything direct. I'd like
    > to see these slimy bastards go down.
    >

    > Michele

    eBay have a better selection:

    http://search.ebay.co.uk/world-of-warcraft-gold_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8QQsatitleZQ22worldQ20ofQ20warcraftQ22Q20gold

    On Tue, 3 May 2005 18:50:10 +0100, "mop" <mop@mop.com> wrote:

    >"Michele Goudie" <michelegl@ameriwreck.net> wrote in message
    >> Found this posted in alt.marketing.online.ebay:
    >>
    >> http://www.ants4game.com/
    >>

    >> I'm digging through WoW's site, but not finding anything direct. I'd like
    >> to see these slimy bastards go down.
    >>

    >> Michele
    >>

    >eBay have a better selection:
    >
    >http://search.ebay.co.uk/world-of-warcraft-gold_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8QQsatitleZQ22worldQ20ofQ20warcraftQ22Q20gold

    I guess I don't really understand why buying gold, characters, items,
    etc is such a big deal. I don't understand it, because I'd rather
    play the game, and earn the stuff myself, but if someone wanted to buy
    however much gold, does it affect me (as a player in the game), or my
    gaming experience, perhaps in a way I'm not noticing? If so, then
    that's one thing, but if not, I say, who cares?

    Zeligg

    "Prayer has no place in the public schools,
    just like facts have no place in organized religion."

    - Superintendent Chalmers, The Simpsons

    In <qcei71h5lgvjulipuetvggiov12eni6co8@4ax.com> Zeligg <zeligg@nospeedspamfactoryatall.net> writes:

    > I guess I don't really understand why buying gold, characters, items,
    > etc is such a big deal. I don't understand it, because I'd rather
    > play the game, and earn the stuff myself, but if someone wanted to buy
    > however much gold, does it affect me (as a player in the game), or my
    > gaming experience, perhaps in a way I'm not noticing? If so, then
    > that's one thing, but if not, I say, who cares?

    But it *does* affect you.

    When the land is teeming with gold/item farmers and you can't find
    any good spots to hunt, it affects you.

    When you can't get a spot in a guild, or even a group, because your
    equipment is substandard compared to all the people who bought uber
    items, it affects you.

    --
    John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
    gordon@panix.com

    mop <mop@mop.com> stared blankly into space for a short while before
    writing:
    > "Michele Goudie" <michelegl@ameriwreck.net> wrote in message
    >> Found this posted in alt.marketing.online.ebay:
    >>
    >> http://www.ants4game.com/
    >>

    >> I'm digging through WoW's site, but not finding anything direct.
    >> I'd like
    >> to see these slimy bastards go down.
    >>

    >> Michele
    >>

    > eBay have a better selection:
    >
    > http://search.ebay.co.uk/world-of-warcraft-gold_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8QQsatitleZQ22worldQ20ofQ20warcraftQ22Q20gold

    Interesting thing. I checked a couple of these gold sellers on eBay,
    specifically I checked their feedback. On one of them all 25 feedback
    were from sellers (the gold seller was the buyer), and when I tried to
    look at what the person had bought, the items were listed as
    "???????????????ONLINE????????????????" and other strange things. I
    could be wrong but the feedback all looks bogus to me.

    But then if you buy gold from eBay, I hope you *do* get burned :)

    --
    Doc

    "Doc" <the.doc.is.in@REMOVETHlSgmail.com> wrote in message

    > But then if you buy gold from eBay, I hope you *do* get burned :)

    When I read that last line, so many bad, evil, despicable ideas ran through
    my head. However, unlike my younger years, I also would take legality and
    liability into consideration.

    Trying to think of ways to get people to bid on what they naturally assume
    will get them gold or other items in Warcraft... something that is not
    obviously misleading, that does not outright lie about anything, and which
    promises no more than you actually give. Even if, in the end, you aren't
    actually selling them a single virtual gold coin in any game.

    I just wonder what you can do when you have that money... Where is the
    pleasure then ?

    And I'm sure Blizzard has some way to detect inconsistent increase of gold
    or items from a character...and ban the user ID for any transaction... So, I
    would not go that way...

    "lagr" <la.gr@free.fr> wrote in message
    >I just wonder what you can do when you have that money... Where is the
    >pleasure then ?
    >
    > And I'm sure Blizzard has some way to detect inconsistent increase of gold
    > or items from a character...and ban the user ID for any transaction... So,
    > I would not go that way...

    Unfortunately, it's probably not that simple. If the gold farmers are smart,
    they'll send you your gold in small bits, or from several alts registered on
    several accounts. That wouldn't raise any flags....I've had gold sent to me
    by people before, and I've even seen one guild where the GM demands a tithe
    from anyone wanting to join.

    What I'd actually think would be funny is if Blizzard made a (small) account
    expressly for the purpose of winning a gold-bid for each E-bay name (or a
    large sampling of them) selling gold, set up a character to GET that gold,
    and immediately banned the ass of the sender, their alts, and anything else
    they can find connected to that account.

    -[Blayde]-
    Pike their heads, or something.

    In article <d58cnd$lpk$1@ftupet.com>,
    "Michele Goudie" <michelegl@ameriwreck.net> wrote:

    > Found this posted in alt.marketing.online.ebay:
    >
    > <farm-auction URL snipped>
    >
    > I'm digging through WoW's site, but not finding anything direct. I'd like
    > to see these slimy bastards go down.

    Use the Red "?" at the bottom of your screen to open an in-game GM
    petition.

    --
    Nabuu, Tauren druid on Dethecus.
    Also (rarely):

    "Nabuu" <Nabuu@*YOUR-PANTS*ManyFriends.com> wrote in message
    > In article <d58cnd$lpk$1@ftupet.com>,
    > "Michele Goudie" <michelegl@ameriwreck.net> wrote:
    >
    >> Found this posted in alt.marketing.online.ebay:
    >>
    >> <farm-auction URL snipped>
    >>
    >> I'm digging through WoW's site, but not finding anything direct. I'd
    >> like
    >> to see these slimy bastards go down.
    >
    > Use the Red "?" at the bottom of your screen to open an in-game GM
    > petition.

    How exactly does this work? I tried using this the other night to report
    someone for things he was saying in general chat (something I've never even
    thought about doing before, but he managed to really irk me with the hateful
    stuff he was spouting off), but...I saw no way to include the things he was
    saying. Without having that recording in a report, I felt that I would be
    seen as just another of the whiners, so after several false starts, I just
    gave up on the whole thing. I've only reported someone once before, the guy
    that had tricked me (and I still feel stupid about that) out of 30s, which
    of course I only reported him after y'all convinced me I should. :) But,
    since this was a different situation... So, anyway, the point of this
    lengthy rambling is to ask, does reporting someone automatically include a
    log of the last few lines that person has spouted? Or is there something
    fundamental I was overlooking?

    --
    <><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Apollorah, 34th level Human Paladin, Ner'zhul

    "Firian" <G.Booth@*NOSPAM*usm.edu> wrote in message
    > "Nabuu" <Nabuu@*YOUR-PANTS*ManyFriends.com> wrote in message
    >> In article <d58cnd$lpk$1@ftupet.com>,
    >> "Michele Goudie" <michelegl@ameriwreck.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Found this posted in alt.marketing.online.ebay:
    >>>
    >>> <farm-auction URL snipped>
    >>>
    >>> I'm digging through WoW's site, but not finding anything direct. I'd
    >>> like
    >>> to see these slimy bastards go down.
    >>
    >> Use the Red "?" at the bottom of your screen to open an in-game GM
    >> petition.
    >
    > How exactly does this work? I tried using this the other night to report
    > someone for things he was saying in general chat (something I've never
    > even thought about doing before, but he managed to really irk me with the
    > hateful stuff he was spouting off), but...I saw no way to include the
    > things he was saying. Without having that recording in a report, I felt
    > that I would be seen as just another of the whiners, so after several
    > false starts, I just gave up on the whole thing. I've only reported
    > someone once before, the guy that had tricked me (and I still feel stupid
    > about that) out of 30s, which of course I only reported him after y'all
    > convinced me I should. :) But, since this was a different situation... So,
    > anyway, the point of this lengthy rambling is to ask, does reporting
    > someone automatically include a log of the last few lines that person has
    > spouted? Or is there something fundamental I was overlooking?

    The general chat is all logged by bliz, so I guess you just tell them who
    and about what time, then cross your fingers

    "Alex" <assetsinc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Firian" <G.Booth@*NOSPAM*usm.edu> wrote in message
    >>
    >> How exactly does this work? I tried using this the other night to report
    >> someone for things he was saying in general chat (something I've never
    >> even thought about doing before, but he managed to really irk me with the
    >> hateful stuff he was spouting off), but...I saw no way to include the
    >> things he was saying. Without having that recording in a report, I felt
    >> that I would be seen as just another of the whiners, so after several
    >> false starts, I just gave up on the whole thing. I've only reported
    >> someone once before, the guy that had tricked me (and I still feel stupid
    >> about that) out of 30s, which of course I only reported him after y'all
    >> convinced me I should. :) But, since this was a different situation...
    >> So, anyway, the point of this lengthy rambling is to ask, does reporting
    >> someone automatically include a log of the last few lines that person has
    >> spouted? Or is there something fundamental I was overlooking?
    >>

    > The general chat is all logged by bliz, so I guess you just tell them who
    > and about what time, then cross your fingers

    Ok, that makes sense. If there's a next time, I'll be sure to include that
    information in the report and send it off...and see if anything comes of it.
    :)

    Thanks!

    --
    <><><><><><><><><><><><>

    On Wed, 4 May 2005 16:11:50 -0700, "Mike Kohary" <sorry@no.spam>
    wrote:

    >John Gordon wrote:
    >> In <qcei71h5lgvjulipuetvggiov12eni6co8@4ax.com> Zeligg
    >> <zeligg@nospeedspamfactoryatall.net> writes:
    >>
    >>> I guess I don't really understand why buying gold, characters, items,
    >>> etc is such a big deal. I don't understand it, because I'd rather
    >>> play the game, and earn the stuff myself, but if someone wanted to
    >>> buy however much gold, does it affect me (as a player in the game),
    >>> or my gaming experience, perhaps in a way I'm not noticing? If so,
    >>> then that's one thing, but if not, I say, who cares?
    >>
    >> But it *does* affect you.
    >>
    >> When the land is teeming with gold/item farmers and you can't find
    >> any good spots to hunt, it affects you.
    >>
    >> When you can't get a spot in a guild, or even a group, because your
    >> equipment is substandard compared to all the people who bought uber
    >> items, it affects you.
    >
    >In short, it makes for an unlevel playing field. Ultimately, it's a banned
    >activity, it's in the TOS, and that's the end of the discussion.

    I guess I could see that on a PVP server. It really hasn't affected
    me yet, but I do a lot of soloing, so that may be why I haven't
    noticed any affects.

    * "mindseye" <mindseye@u.washington.edu> wrote:

    | What I'd actually think would be funny is if Blizzard made a (small) account
    | expressly for the purpose of winning a gold-bid for each E-bay name (or a
    | large sampling of them) selling gold, set up a character to GET that gold,
    | and immediately banned the ass of the sender, their alts, and anything else
    | they can find connected to that account.

    At the same time, Blizzard should do something like this:

    1. Advertise gold for sale on eBay, in such large quantities and
    low prices as to drive all the other sellers out of the market.

    2. Accept payment, arrange and perform the transfer of in-game gold.

    3. Ban the buyer's account for breaking the Terms of Use.

    They shouldn't have to refund the money either -- after all the buyer
    got the gold he paid for before the account was closed.

    --
    Lars Haugseth

    Lars Haugseth left a note on my windscreen which said:

    > At the same time, Blizzard should do something like this:
    >
    > 1. Advertise gold for sale on eBay, in such large quantities and
    > low prices as to drive all the other sellers out of the market.
    >
    > 2. Accept payment, arrange and perform the transfer of in-game gold.
    >
    > 3. Ban the buyer's account for breaking the Terms of Use.
    >
    > They shouldn't have to refund the money either -- after all the buyer
    > got the gold he paid for before the account was closed.

    In a legal sense couldn't this be seen as entrapment?

    (I am not a lawyer)
    --
    Stoneskin

    My personal army of Sash Crackers on Sunstrider are...

    Necrofear - lvl 49 Undead Priest
    Jericho - lvl 19 Undead Mage
    Jigen - lvl 12 Orc Rogue
    Wartorn - lvl 11 Tauren Warrior
    Relinquished - lvl 9 Undead Warlock
    Nightmane - lvl 2 Tauren Druid

    "Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
    > Lars Haugseth left a note on my windscreen which said:
    >
    > > At the same time, Blizzard should do something like this:
    > >
    > > 1. Advertise gold for sale on eBay, in such large quantities and
    > > low prices as to drive all the other sellers out of the market.
    > >
    > > 2. Accept payment, arrange and perform the transfer of in-game gold.
    > >
    > > 3. Ban the buyer's account for breaking the Terms of Use.
    > >
    > > They shouldn't have to refund the money either -- after all the buyer
    > > got the gold he paid for before the account was closed.
    >
    > In a legal sense couldn't this be seen as entrapment?
    >
    > (I am not a lawyer)
    > --
    > Stoneskin

    I think entrapment can only be done by legal authorities.
    Police it is illegal. Bounty hunters ii is ok.
    Not a legal beagle either...

    "Don Sly" <tdNOslySPAM@PLEASEsasktel.net> wrote in message

    > "Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
    > > Lars Haugseth left a note on my windscreen which said:
    > >
    > > > At the same time, Blizzard should do something like this:
    > > >
    > > > 1. Advertise gold for sale on eBay, in such large quantities and
    > > > low prices as to drive all the other sellers out of the market.
    > > >
    > > > 2. Accept payment, arrange and perform the transfer of in-game gold.
    > > >
    > > > 3. Ban the buyer's account for breaking the Terms of Use.
    > > >
    > > > They shouldn't have to refund the money either -- after all the buyer
    > > > got the gold he paid for before the account was closed.
    > >
    > > In a legal sense couldn't this be seen as entrapment?
    > >
    > > (I am not a lawyer)
    > > --
    > > Stoneskin
    >
    > I think entrapment can only be done by legal authorities.
    > Police it is illegal. Bounty hunters ii is ok.
    > Not a legal beagle either...

    This would not apply to a game company... I'm not a lawyer either, but it
    doesn't take one to know that.

    Now, if they approached an individual player who had a lot of gold and tried
    to buy it off him, or to try to sell gold to someone, I think that would
    make players a little angry in general. But going to a public place where
    selling occurs, and not doing anything above and beyond what's normal, only
    makes themselves a possible target for violation.

    It's a little like making a rule not to attack anyone marked AFK... and
    then sitting around on a road in AFK. You're not provoking or inciting
    anyone, you're just making yourself a possible target, one of many... only
    that one would happen to result in an instant company response. Not the
    same as it would be if you had someone sitting out there as AFK, and another
    rep went into town and started calling for a party to kill that player (or
    reported them in general saying that there's some orc sitting around outside
    of town, in AFK and easy prey).

    I would fully support Blizzard offering gold on ebay... IF they mentioned,
    in some way, that it's a violation of game rules as a "fair warning" to
    prospective buyers. As soon as they completed the transaction, ban the
    account. The only problem is... they also just accepted someone's money.
    Now, if they could get the account info before completing the transaction,
    no mercy. I'm not sure ebay would cooperate, but if they did... hehe.

    But in concept, I have no problem with them laying a trap, as long as it's a
    passive trap that a violator has to actively pursue, and where there's no
    room for doubt that they know what they're doing.

    "Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
    > Lars Haugseth left a note on my windscreen which said:
    >
    >> At the same time, Blizzard should do something like this:
    >>
    >> 1. Advertise gold for sale on eBay, in such large quantities and
    >> low prices as to drive all the other sellers out of the market.
    >>
    >> 2. Accept payment, arrange and perform the transfer of in-game gold.
    >>
    >> 3. Ban the buyer's account for breaking the Terms of Use.
    >>
    >> They shouldn't have to refund the money either -- after all the buyer
    >> got the gold he paid for before the account was closed.
    >
    > In a legal sense couldn't this be seen as entrapment?
    >
    > (I am not a lawyer)

    Neither am I, but I am almost certain the legal sense of entrapment only
    counts in criminal matters.

    On Fri, 6 May 2005 15:30:01 +0100, Stoneskin <no@thanks.com> scribed into
    the ether:

    >Lars Haugseth left a note on my windscreen which said:
    >
    >> At the same time, Blizzard should do something like this:
    >>
    >> 1. Advertise gold for sale on eBay, in such large quantities and
    >> low prices as to drive all the other sellers out of the market.
    >>
    >> 2. Accept payment, arrange and perform the transfer of in-game gold.
    >>
    >> 3. Ban the buyer's account for breaking the Terms of Use.
    >>
    >> They shouldn't have to refund the money either -- after all the buyer
    >> got the gold he paid for before the account was closed.
    >
    >In a legal sense couldn't this be seen as entrapment?
    >
    >(I am not a lawyer)

    No, entrapment is when you solicit (voluntarily or otherwise) someone into
    performing an illegal enterprise when there was no proof that they would
    otherwise have done it. Putting up an ebay auction will only entice people
    who would have done it anyway.

    If the cops put up a banner that says "FREE COCAINE HERE", and arrest
    anyone who goes inside, that's not entrapment. If you get a package from
    UPS filled with cocaine, sent by the DEA, and they bust you as soon as you
    sign for it, *that* is entrapment.

    In article <MPG.1ce58fc2b5514ce5989b52@nntp.dsl.pipex.com>,
    Stoneskin <no@thanks.com> wrote:

    > Lars Haugseth left a note on my windscreen which said:
    >
    > > At the same time, Blizzard should do something like this:
    > >
    > > 1. Advertise gold for sale on eBay, in such large quantities and
    > > low prices as to drive all the other sellers out of the market.
    > >
    > > 2. Accept payment, arrange and perform the transfer of in-game gold.
    > >
    > > 3. Ban the buyer's account for breaking the Terms of Use.
    > >
    > > They shouldn't have to refund the money either -- after all the buyer
    > > got the gold he paid for before the account was closed.

    > In a legal sense couldn't this be seen as entrapment?
    > (I am not a lawyer)

    No, it's fraud.

    (Advertising a product for sale, accepting money, and then immediately
    discontinuing the buyer's access to said product is a confidence scam,
    plain & simple.)

    Still... kind-of funny, as a pipe-dream :)

    --
    Nabuu, Tauren druid on Dethecus.
    Also (rarely):
    Chum, Gnome warlock, Bronzebeard
    Tost, Dwarven rogue, Bronzebeard
    Meadow, Night elf priest, Bronzebeard
    Harmany, Undead mage, Dethecus
    <http://www.ManyFriends.com/WoW/PhotoAlbum/>
    Aka "Misc" -- If you don't remove your pants, I won't get your email.

Marketing Games Warcraft World Of Warcraft Video Games