WINDOWS ICON ARROWS

Is there anyway to remove the little black and white arrow icon that shows up
shortcut icons? I have some nice icons and that arrow just takes so much away
from the overall look of things.

Hope someone can help with this.. ;)

Ciao for now,

JPHR
13 answers Last reply
More about windows icon arrows

    Hi Jeffery,

    Under Tweakui, navigate to Explorer > Shortcut and select 'none'. This will remove the overlay icon.
    Download TweakUI from:

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    http://www.mvps.org

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Jeffrey Phear" <JeffreyPhear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there anyway to remove the little black and white arrow icon that shows up
    > shortcut icons? I have some nice icons and that arrow just takes so much away
    > from the overall look of things.
    >
    > Hope someone can help with this.. ;)
    >
    > Ciao for now,
    >

    > JPHR

    Thanks ;) I had TweakUI but I hadn't looked at it too much..

    Appreciate the help.

    Ciao..

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:

    > Hi Jeffery,
    >
    > Under Tweakui, navigate to Explorer > Shortcut and select 'none'. This will remove the overlay icon.
    > Download TweakUI from:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >
    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "Jeffrey Phear" <JeffreyPhear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Is there anyway to remove the little black and white arrow icon that shows up
    > > shortcut icons? I have some nice icons and that arrow just takes so much away
    > > from the overall look of things.
    > >
    > > Hope someone can help with this.. ;)
    > >
    > > Ciao for now,
    > >

    > > JPHR

    Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
    http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:49500593-0984-478B-9B51-8F8C34934548@microsoft.com,
    Jeffrey Phear <JeffreyPhear@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    In news:7F68595D-186A-44D1-9442-049643043628@microsoft.com,
    Jeffrey Phear <JeffreyPhear@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Is there anyway to remove the little black and white arrow icon
    > that
    > shows up shortcut icons? I have some nice icons and that arrow
    > just
    > takes so much away from the overall look of things.

    You can get rid of the arrows with a registry edit, or more
    easily and more safely by using the free TweakUI, downloadable as
    part of Microsoft PowerToys at
    (if you have SP1 or SP2 installed) or
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe
    (or if you don't have SP1 or SP2).

    However, my recommendation is that you do *not* do this. The
    arrows serve an important function--providing quick visual
    identification of a shortcut. If you remove the arrows, you run
    the substantial risk that sooner or later you will delete
    something you wanted to keep, thinking that you were just
    deleting a shortcut to it. I would either leave the arrows as
    they are, or alternatively use the TweakUI option of light
    arrows, which are somewhat less visible that the regular ones.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    "=?Utf-8?B?SmVmZnJleSBQaGVhcg==?=" wrote in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
    >Is there anyway to remove the little black and white arrow icon that shows up
    >shortcut icons? I have some nice icons and that arrow just takes so much away
    >from the overall look of things.

    Download Tweak UI from Microsoft's site

    But even though you _can_ remove the arrows, it may not be wise. It
    can make a difference sometimes whether you're manipulating a
    shortcut or the actual program.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    You are welcome Jeffrey !

    --

    Stan Brown wrote:
    > "=?Utf-8?B?SmVmZnJleSBQaGVhcg==?=" wrote in
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
    >
    >>Is there anyway to remove the little black and white arrow icon that shows up
    >>shortcut icons? I have some nice icons and that arrow just takes so much away
    >
    >>from the overall look of things.
    >
    > Download Tweak UI from Microsoft's site
    >
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
    >

    > But even though you _can_ remove the arrows, it may not be wise. It
    > can make a difference sometimes whether you're manipulating a
    > shortcut or the actual program.

    I've found that I can just: Right-click on the title; select "rename"
    and type in a new name for the icon: "WP10", "C-Drive", "Q-Time Player",
    etc. It won't remove the arrow - but does eliminate the "Shortcut to"
    that takes up so much extra space. Hope that helps!

    Molin Vardo

    In news:42221E20.4080901@iglou.com,
    Molin Vardo <tovitox@iglou.com> typed:

    > I've found that I can just: Right-click on the title; select
    > "rename"
    > and type in a new name for the icon: "WP10", "C-Drive", "Q-Time
    > Player", etc. It won't remove the arrow - but does eliminate
    > the
    > "Shortcut to" that takes up so much extra space. Hope that
    > helps!

    Renaming isn't necessary. Use TweakUI, and on it's General tab,
    turn off the putting of the "Shortcut to" there in the first
    place.

    Please reply to the newsgroup
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    "Ken Blake" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
    >In news:42221E20.4080901@iglou.com,
    >Molin Vardo <tovitox@iglou.com> typed:
    >
    >> I've found that I can just: Right-click on the title; select
    >> "rename"
    >> and type in a new name for the icon: "WP10", "C-Drive", "Q-Time
    >> Player", etc. It won't remove the arrow - but does eliminate
    >> the
    >> "Shortcut to" that takes up so much extra space. Hope that
    >> helps!
    >

    >Renaming isn't necessary. Use TweakUI, and on it's General tab,
    >turn off the putting of the "Shortcut to" there in the first
    >place.

    Which release of TweakUI? I've got 2.10.0.0, and I don't see
    anything like that on the "General" tab _or the "Shortcut" tab. In
    my TweakUI, that setting is on the "Explorer" tab.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    In news:38frimF5o1ffoU6@individual.net,
    Stan Brown <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> typed:

    > "Ken Blake" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
    >> In news:42221E20.4080901@iglou.com,
    >> Molin Vardo <tovitox@iglou.com> typed:
    >>
    >>> I've found that I can just: Right-click on the title; select
    >>> "rename"
    >>> and type in a new name for the icon: "WP10", "C-Drive",
    >>> "Q-Time
    >>> Player", etc. It won't remove the arrow - but does eliminate
    >>> the
    >>> "Shortcut to" that takes up so much extra space. Hope that
    >>> helps!
    >>

    >> Renaming isn't necessary. Use TweakUI, and on it's General
    >> tab,
    >> turn off the putting of the "Shortcut to" there in the first
    >> place.
    >
    > Which release of TweakUI? I've got 2.10.0.0, and I don't see
    > anything like that on the "General" tab _or the "Shortcut" tab.
    > In
    > my TweakUI, that setting is on the "Explorer" tab.

    Sorry, the "Explorer" tab is correct. "General" was a typo (or
    brain fart), as was "it's" instead of "its."

    Please reply to the newsgroup
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Stan Brown wrote:
    > "=?Utf-8?B?SmVmZnJleSBQaGVhcg==?=" wrote in
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
    >
    >>Is there anyway to remove the little black and white arrow icon that shows up
    >>shortcut icons? I have some nice icons and that arrow just takes so much away
    >
    >>from the overall look of things.
    >
    > Download Tweak UI from Microsoft's site
    >
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
    >

    > But even though you _can_ remove the arrows, it may not be wise. It
    > can make a difference sometimes whether you're manipulating a
    > shortcut or the actual program.

    I've found that I can just: Right-click on the title; select "rename"
    and type in a new name for the icon: "WP10", "C-Drive", "Q-Time Player",
    etc. It won't remove the arrow - but does eliminate the "Shortcut to"
    that takes up so much extra space. Hope that helps!

    Molin Vardo
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Windows counts how many times you delete Shortcut To on an icon. When you do it three times it no longer prefaces Shortcut To on new shortcuts.

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
    Link=

    Link starts at 15 or 20 and is decremented by 5 each time you delete Shortcut To. Once it reaches 0 no more Shortcut To.

    I never did discover why it counted by 5 rather than 1.
    http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
    "Molin Vardo" <tovitox@iglou.com> wrote in message news:422B52B9.9040909@iglou.com...
    > Stan Brown wrote:
    >> "=?Utf-8?B?SmVmZnJleSBQaGVhcg==?=" wrote in
    >> microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
    >>
    >>>Is there anyway to remove the little black and white arrow icon that shows up
    >>>shortcut icons? I have some nice icons and that arrow just takes so much away
    >>
    >>>from the overall look of things.
    >>
    >> Download Tweak UI from Microsoft's site
    >>
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
    >>

    >> But even though you _can_ remove the arrows, it may not be wise. It
    >> can make a difference sometimes whether you're manipulating a
    >> shortcut or the actual program.
    >>
    > I've found that I can just: Right-click on the title; select "rename"
    > and type in a new name for the icon: "WP10", "C-Drive", "Q-Time Player",
    > etc. It won't remove the arrow - but does eliminate the "Shortcut to"
    > that takes up so much extra space. Hope that helps!
    >
    > Molin Vardo

Configuration Microsoft Customization Icons Windows XP