Add a video card at a later date?

whitenack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2012
This may be a stupid question, but I am completely new at this...

I am considering building a system for the first time. My current custom built machine (built by someone else) is 9 years old and needs replacing.

At the present time, I don't do a lot of graphically intense things. Mostly internet browsing, some streaming video, very rare and casual photoshop editing, etc. However, my son is 7 and I'm sure an interest in gaming is in this machine's future.

Would I be foolish to build a machine without a graphics card now with the intentions of installing one in the future? I'm just looking to save some money on the front end since one isn't needed at this point and spend the money (and possibly get a better card) at the time when it is needed.

If it is NOT foolish, what sort of things do I need to keep in mind? I guess I need to plan for a larger PSU that would accommodate the system once a GPU is selected?

My existing system has a Radeon All-in-Wonder 9000 in it. Should I use that in the new machine until it is time to upgrade or will the new machine's integrated graphics already be better than the Radeon?

Solution
I think it's a great idea to build with integrated video now and add a video card as needed. You will get more bang for your buck buying a video card when you need it rather than buying early. The power supply is very important, don't skimp on that. I agree with getting at least a 500Watt PSU, and make sure it is a good quality PSU. Your All-in-Wonder card (likely uses AGP slot) would likely not even plug into the new system (uses PCI-Express), and both intel and AMD integrated graphics will perform better anyhow.

HVDynamo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
I think it's a great idea to build with integrated video now and add a video card as needed. You will get more bang for your buck buying a video card when you need it rather than buying early. The power supply is very important, don't skimp on that. I agree with getting at least a 500Watt PSU, and make sure it is a good quality PSU. Your All-in-Wonder card (likely uses AGP slot) would likely not even plug into the new system (uses PCI-Express), and both intel and AMD integrated graphics will perform better anyhow.

Solution

whitenack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2012
Another question, does the integrated graphics come on the cpu or the motherboard? I see some motherboards have IG and some don't, and then I see cpu's like the i5 2500k have nice IG onboard. So, if I got an i5 2500k, I wouldn't need IG on the motherboard?