Asus n55SF Display not working

VincentT

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
Hi, after some google work i could not find a solution to my problem so i came here.

here is what happened:
At school i was working on something in 3DS Max, course was over i close my laptop put it in my backapck and on my way home.
I get home 1 hour layer and want to start up my laptop, i get nothing on my screen but i hear the windows kig in sound. So after some restarting and even starting up without a battery i decide to hook it up to a 2nd monitor.
Everything works now on the second monitor but not on my laptop display.

My roommate thinks it has something to do with my video card.

What do i do now ?

the back light may have failed on the screen. or the screen itself. the video card is part of the mb on a laptop if it fails the laptop would not boot. the only other issue would be a cable (data or power for the lcd screen) coming lose. if the unit under warranty i would use it. to see if it the back light turn on the laptop and use a flash light to try and see if you can see the desktop image on the screen.

VincentT

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
Didnt drop it yet + i always carry it in a protector bag inside my backpack

gonna return it under warranty but im suspecting a software malfunction

VincentT

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009

ok it was the backlight :(

Christofer

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Hi,

I borrow this thread, as I have an exactly identical issue. The backlights on my Asus N55S stopped working suddenly, while in Windows. At boot, it works perfectly well, I can see the text and everything until Windows starts loading. Then it just goes black.

If I use a flashlight to light up the laptop screen, I can see everything. The weird thing is that if I reinstall Windows the backlights starts to work again, for a couple of weeks (done this 3 times now). It seems like there is an update or such from Microsoft that crashes the backlight. I never notice the exact time of the crash, as I have the laptop screen turned off most of the time, as I use an external HDMI monitor.

Any ideas what might cause thise weird issue?

Christofer

Honorable
May 22, 2012
As this thread has been pushed to page 3, I'll do a quick reply just to bump it up.
This issue is really annoying, as I cannot use my laptop for more than 2-3 weeks in a row without reinstalling it. The backlights seems to go off with some update, or some other change to the system, which I cannot manage to identify.

Is there any program or methot that I can force the backlights to turn on, given that they aren't broken?