Sign in with
Your question

Is the PC worth it?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 2, 2012 7:17:52 PM

Hello, sorry if this is in the wrong section, did not really know what to categorise it as, anyhow, I have a couple of questions about some PC's I've been looking at and thinking of buying...

http://cdon.fi/kotielektroniikka/thor_vingner_v.2_-_int...

First up, this PC:

THOR Vingner v.2
Intel i5-3570K (6M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz)
8GB RAM
1TB Harddrive
Nvidia GTX560Ti

PRICE: 999€

Okay, so mainly, I am looking for a PC that can run CS:GO (Counterstrike:Global Offensive) at highest settings with 300fps.

Also it'd be nice to have a PC that can run bf3 on ultra with no lag or fps drop.

I've also been looking at a cheaper PC (THOR Vingtor) :

THOR Vingtor - Intel i3 3220 - 4GB - 1TB - GeForce GTX 650 - Windows 8
http://cdon.fi/kotielektroniikka/thor_vingtor_-_intel_i...

It's price is : 700€

But I'm not a big fan of Windows 8 yet, and I would actually prefer Windows 7 for now, I do realise though that the graphics card on Vingtor is much better than on Vingner v.2.

Okay, so those are the two options mainly, and I want to know whether Windows 8 works good for gaming or not, and also how well Nvidia GTX 560TI will perform and if it will meet my ultra bf3 and csgo demands.
Same goes for Vingtor.

If someone could help me as soon as possible, and tell me if these PC's are actually worth the price, and which one is a better option, I would be really grateful!

Thank you & Regards!

EDIT:

OK, changes in plans, I was considering building but the parts here in Finland are so much more expensive than everywhere else (I tried to look at different parts online, and it went up to 1300+€ anyway and the prebuilt Pc was 1400€.

Anyway, I am now thinking of buying this PC which looks very neat.

THOR Mode v.2 - Intel i7-3770K - 16GB - 120GB SSD + 2TB - Nvidia GTX670 - W7HP
PRICE: 1420€

Opinions please, as quick as possible because I might even order it today! ^^

More about : worth

a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 7:21:59 PM

The Thor Vingner is the one I prefer, the 3570k means it is overclockable and the video card is better than the GTX 650. However I know you can build a much better computer by building this yourself and buying the parts individually, you can save money that way and buy an aftermarket cooler and better video card to beat both of those computers. In my opinion pre-built computers are not worth the price, but obviously they need to charge more money than the parts to make a profit and to compensate for the labour for building it.
November 2, 2012 7:35:34 PM

socialfox said:
The Thor Vingner is the one I prefer, the 3570k means it is overclockable and the video card is better than the GTX 650. However I know you can build a much better computer by building this yourself and buying the parts individually, you can save money that way and buy an aftermarket cooler and better video card to beat both of those computers. In my opinion pre-built computers are not worth the price, but obviously they need to charge more money than the parts to make a profit and to compensate for the labour for building it.

I do realize that building a computer is both better and cheaper, however my lack of knowledge when it comes to computers just won't make it through.

Also I'm afraid I would buy wrong parts, and that it wouldn't work at all, just my luck these days, so I'd actually prefer to buy a pre-built computer.

Thank you though, and I will think about it.

Please keep the opinions and comments coming in though people!

Regards.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 7:40:42 PM

Well if it helps, you can always send a PM to me with your build and I will determine if it is compatible, you just need someone to build it for you. Either way if you can not build it go for the first build you posted if limited to the two only.
November 2, 2012 7:48:20 PM

socialfox said:
Well if it helps, you can always send a PM to me with your build and I will determine if it is compatible, you just need someone to build it for you. Either way if you can not build it go for the first build you posted if limited to the two only.

Yeah okay thanks, I think I might just do that, do you think that GTX 560Ti will run bf3 good for example though?

Also there is a third option which is THOR Jords - Intel i5 3570K - 8GB - 1TB - GeForce GTX 670 - Windows 8 price 999€ but as mentioned I'm not really a big fan of W8, although that PC does have a very good graphics card...
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 8:01:28 PM

The GTX 670 quite faster than the GTX 560ti, either way the other build with the GTX 550ti is compatible with battlefield 3 on ultra. The 3570k is just a bit better than the 2500k, just to let you know before you watch the clip below, it may be worthwhile to overclock since it is a K class processor meaning it was made for overclocking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDAUEJOi7js
November 2, 2012 8:05:09 PM

socialfox said:
The GTX 670 quite faster than the GTX 560ti, either way the other build with the GTX 550ti is compatible with battlefield 3 on ultra. The 3570k is just a bit better than the 2500k, just to let you know before you watch the clip below, it may be worthwhile to overclock since it is a K class processor meaning it was made for overclocking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDAUEJOi7js

But wait, basically THOR Jords is the same as THOR Vingner v.2. except that Jords has GTX 670 (much better) and WINDOWS 8 Instead of 7, also for the same price as Vingner v.2. though, why is that?

I mean wouldn't I get more out of buying THOR Jords then?
Compare the two:

THOR Vingner v.2 - Intel i5-3570K - 8GB - 1TB - Nvidia GTX560Ti - W7HP - 999€
THOR Jords - Intel i5 3570K - 8GB - 1TB - GeForce GTX 670 - Windows 8 - 999€
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 8:07:54 PM

Yes you will get more, but I was just saying the GTX 560ti was capable of playing Battlefield 3, you stated you did not like windows 8 (I don't blame you, I hate it too) so I assumed you would go for the other build. Anyways in terms of hardware the Thor Jords wins hands down.
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 8:26:50 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-gef...

If you consider no dips below 30fps to be smooth and you want ultra, need to go with at least a 660 based on the above benches. Also consider that the benches are in single player which is way less demanding than multiplayer.

Frame of reference, my 670 hovers near 60 with dips down around 50 in 64-man multiplayer. It rarely drops down to the 40s but it's happened.
November 2, 2012 8:37:03 PM

You could always look for someone who fixes computers as a part-time job or works for companies. They will put together the parts you buy and it will be much cheaper than the premium you pay for a pre-built system like that Thor.
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 8:53:28 PM

Just post a question here about what you want and ask for a recommended parts list. The experts here will get you the best build for the least money. Be sure to include your budget and monitor resolution and what you will be using it for.
November 2, 2012 9:13:02 PM

I understand that I really should build a PC, but at the moment I just really can't.

Also why I prefer prebuilt computers is because I can pay a certain amount per month instead of the whole sum altogether, which is better for me right now.

So I guess I will be going with the THOR Jords.

Windows 8 isn't bad for gaming etc though right?
November 2, 2012 9:14:51 PM

Honestly building the computer yourself is really really easy. choosing the parts is the hard part but the people here will give you great advice and make it easy. I'm pretty sure we were all nervous when we were new, I know I was. If you build it yourself you get to pick the parts to be exactly what you want instead of compromising things like the OS and such. If I remember correctly windows 8 is actually slower for gaming, but the difference is minimal and probably will be improved upon in time.
November 2, 2012 9:31:41 PM

socialfox said:
Nope not at all, tom's has a article about windows 7 vs windows 8 in gaming. The only differences was 1-4 fps and both were pretty even.

Here is the link:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-8-gaming-pe...

Yeah that was the article I was looking for. I think it is important to take into consideration that windows 8 isn't mature yet and any issues will probably be fixed in the future
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 9:33:21 PM

I agree with you, maybe there will be patches that will help speed up games a bit. I know for a fact that there are a few games right now that are incompatible with windows 8. It might have mentioned one of them in the article.
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 9:42:31 PM

coffeeleet said:
I understand that I really should build a PC, but at the moment I just really can't.

Also why I prefer prebuilt computers is because I can pay a certain amount per month instead of the whole sum altogether, which is better for me right now.

So I guess I will be going with the THOR Jords.

Windows 8 isn't bad for gaming etc though right?

Newegg is offering credit as of now.
November 3, 2012 9:35:18 AM

OK, changes in plans, I was considering building but the parts here in Finland are so much more expensive than everywhere else (I tried to look at different parts online, and it went up to 1300+€ anyway and the prebuilt Pc was 1400€.

Anyway, I am now thinking of buying this PC which looks very neat.

THOR Mode v.2 - Intel i7-3770K - 16GB - 120GB SSD + 2TB - Nvidia GTX670 - W7HP
PRICE: 1420€

Opinions please, as quick as possible because I might even order it today! ^^
a b à CPUs
November 3, 2012 1:01:35 PM

I believe the i7 3770k will not give you any gaming performance gain over the i5 3570k. If it does then it will be really small and definitely not worth the price. In addition 16gb of ram for just a gaming computer is an overkill if you ask me, 8 gb is more than enough by today's standards. The SSD is a nice addition, but if you go with the 3570k you can buy a bigger SSD and just plug it in your computer while saving your money.
November 3, 2012 8:31:05 PM

looking at what is converts into in us dollars. im going to say HELL NO its not worth the price.
May 24, 2014 1:42:02 AM

I have the thor mode. And i can run bf4 on ultra whit 60 fps
!