First build help.

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
June 27, 2012 3:43:04 PM

Hello, I've been recently looking through this and other sites to try and get some knowledge on building my first PC

I have come up with this build so far all I want is a PC that will handle new games and will last a little while with the games coming out in 2013.

ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3 Socket 1155 Motherboard
Intel Core i5 2500 Socket 1155 3.30GHz Processor (these 2 come in a bundle for £230)

Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B RAM Module - 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) - DDR3 SDRA (£49)

2GB Asus Radeon HD 7850 DirectCU II AMD/ATI Graphics Card (£197)

Alpine 600W Power Supply Unit with Sata & Blue Fan, Silent 600 Watt PSU (£26)

Envizage E-3393 Black Blue ATX Gaming PC Tower Case (£30)

And a DVD drive and internal HDD which comes to (£61)

Now, as this is my first build I am fully expecting everything I listed to just not work together or to just not work fullstop :lol: 

Obviously this all comes to £593.. Which is a little high for me at the moment.. Obviously it's the CPU and Motherboard bundle that is taking a fair chunk so If anyone has any idea on how to get a cheaper CPU/motherboard that will do what I intend the PC to do then all help is really appreciated

Thanks!

More about : build

June 27, 2012 3:51:10 PM

Where are you buying these? Newegg? Amazon? CompUSA?
June 27, 2012 3:51:13 PM

Aaron1919 said:
Hello, I've been recently looking through this and other sites to try and get some knowledge on building my first PC

I have come up with this build so far all I want is a PC that will handle new games and will last a little while with the games coming out in 2013.

ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3 Socket 1155 Motherboard
Intel Core i5 2500 Socket 1155 3.30GHz Processor (these 2 come in a bundle for £230)

Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B RAM Module - 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) - DDR3 SDRA (£49)

2GB Asus Radeon HD 7850 DirectCU II AMD/ATI Graphics Card (£197)

Alpine 600W Power Supply Unit with Sata & Blue Fan, Silent 600 Watt PSU (£26)

Envizage E-3393 Black Blue ATX Gaming PC Tower Case (£30)

And a DVD drive and internal HDD which comes to (£61)

Now, as this is my first build I am fully expecting everything I listed to just not work together or to just not work fullstop :lol: 

Obviously this all comes to £593.. Which is a little high for me at the moment.. Obviously it's the CPU and Motherboard bundle that is taking a fair chunk so If anyone has any idea on how to get a cheaper CPU/motherboard that will do what I intend the PC to do then all help is really appreciated

Thanks!

Ill tell you right now, I would stick with AMD for what your looking for in price. For $70 less on the processor alone you can pick up a FX-6200 6 Core processor which runs par in benchmarks with the i5-2500k. And if your not trying to crossfire/sli or OC a whole lot dont go big on the motherboard. here is what I recommend.

An AMAZING Mobo for the price http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ASrock Extreme 3 970. $75 + 10% off so around $68

CPU FX-6200 :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $150.

So thats : $218 which is 140 pounds. While getting the same performance. And the extra cores are obviously better for everyday personal use.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 27, 2012 4:18:05 PM

majorawsome said:
Where are you buying these? Newegg? Amazon? CompUSA?

I've got some links from little computer shops Ebay and scan.co.uk
June 27, 2012 4:19:40 PM

obubdeno said:
Ill tell you right now, I would stick with AMD for what your looking for in price. For $70 less on the processor alone you can pick up a FX-6200 6 Core processor which runs par in benchmarks with the i5-2500k. And if your not trying to crossfire/sli or OC a whole lot dont go big on the motherboard. here is what I recommend.

An AMAZING Mobo for the price http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ASrock Extreme 3 970. $75 + 10% off so around $68

CPU FX-6200 :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $150.

So thats : $218 which is 140 pounds. While getting the same performance. And the extra cores are obviously better for everyday personal use.

Thanks a lot!!

Will the rest of the stuff I picked out go with the CPU and motherboard you picked out?

Also will what I picked do a decent job on all the latest games?

Thanks for the replies.
June 27, 2012 4:22:55 PM

Aaron1919 said:
Thanks a lot!!

Will the rest of the stuff I picked out go with the CPU and motherboard you picked out?

Also will what I picked do a decent job on all the latest games?

Thanks for the replies.

Yes it will, as long as the PSU supports the setup and you have the right chipset for your CPU most things dont ever conflict. You will be able to run all the latest games on High-Ultra settings with hiccups being slim to none.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 27, 2012 4:24:15 PM

I would go with your original build though with a quality PSU like XFX 450W.
June 27, 2012 4:43:37 PM

Get an i3 2120 instead of the i5 2500.
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
June 27, 2012 4:47:35 PM

Good thinking on building your gaming pc around a top gaming card like a 7850. The graphics card is the real engine for gaming, more so than the cpu in most cases.

Your build is compatible, but here are a few thoughts:

1) Alpine is not a brand I am familiar with. It seems cheap for a 600w psu. A poor quality psu will not deliver it's advertised power, and if it fails can destroy anything it is attached to. A cheap psu is an expensive place to economize. Stick with known quality brands like Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, XFX, and PC P&C to name a few. AMD recommends a 500w psu for the 7850:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/78...

2) The 2500 is a fine gaming cpu, but if you need to save a bit, you could go with a i3-2100 for less. Even a G850 would be good.
Read this article on <$200 gaming cpu's. The tests were done with a GTX480 which is comparable to the 7850.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-cor...

Here is TOM'S june report on best gaming cpu's for the money. Note that there are NO AMD chips on the recommended list:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

3) The current Intel cpu's have an excellent integrated ram controller. It is able to keep the cpu fed with data from any speed ram.
The difference in real application performance or FPS between the fastest and slowest ram is on the order of 1-3%.
Synthetic benchmark differences will be impressive, but are largely irrelevant in the real world.

Fancy heat spreaders are mostly marketing too.
In fact tall heat spreaders are a negative because they can impact some cpu coolers.
Only if you are seeking record level overclocks should you consider faster ram or better latencies.

Read this Anandtech article on memory scaling:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-...
---------------bottom line------------
Buy the cheapest 1333 kit you can find from a vendor you trust. Most are good.

4) As a first time builder, take the time now to download and read, cover to cover the case and motherboard manuals. Many questions will be answered.

----good luck-----------
a b B Homebuilt system
June 27, 2012 5:01:16 PM

What would be the gain there? re:ironslice
June 27, 2012 6:03:50 PM

Thank you all for the replies.. I will have a good read later on Geofelt with what you have sent.

I've added the AMD FX-6200 and the ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard.. It has brought the price down to £499 which I am liking. I will just have a look for a more suitable PSU.

I'm not sure about Intel and AMD why some people swear by one and other. If it does the job I'm happy with the AMD.

Does anyone know what the cost of shipping is for the Newegg site.. Says free shipping but I'm guessing that's only to places in the US and not UK.

Cheers guys once again!
June 27, 2012 6:53:30 PM

Aaron1919 said:
Thank you all for the replies.. I will have a good read later on Geofelt with what you have sent.

I've added the AMD FX-6200 and the ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard.. It has brought the price down to £499 which I am liking. I will just have a look for a more suitable PSU.

I'm not sure about Intel and AMD why some people swear by one and other. If it does the job I'm happy with the AMD.

Does anyone know what the cost of shipping is for the Newegg site.. Says free shipping but I'm guessing that's only to places in the US and not UK.

Cheers guys once again!

For the Price, you have got a good system going, and will not be disappointed. Intel makes better High end chips for a much steeper price, when you get down to the Bulk of the processors its more what your looking to do and get out of them.
June 27, 2012 8:56:53 PM

try ebuyer.co.uk

They are the biggest (newegg equivallent) supplier in the UK. Also, scan.co.uk is another big one.

Good luck.
June 27, 2012 10:41:43 PM

alexander0884 said:
try ebuyer.co.uk

They are the biggest (newegg equivallent) supplier in the UK. Also, scan.co.uk is another big one.

Good luck.

Thanks will check now. Does Newegg charge for shipping over to the UK then?
June 27, 2012 10:47:31 PM

Aaron1919 said:
Thanks will check now. Does Newegg charge for shipping over to the UK then?

I often wondered the same thing, I can tell you two things first;

When you import/ship goods to the UK, they may get stopped by customs and you may have to pay tax. AKA any real profit you make is therefore negated. Plus it will cause delays.

If you have a friend abroad and they send it as a gift it will be fine.

Last option, if you physically go abroad, you get TAX FREE prices, aka cheaper than the gross amount on newegg etc, as you can claim back the tax at the airport.

SO there you go.

I say ebuyer offers most competitive prices in the UK, but check around. Unless you are going abroad, id stick to national shipping. But do check on border customs as I havent actual experience, only heard.
June 27, 2012 10:57:19 PM

alexander0884 said:
I often wondered the same thing, I can tell you two things first;

When you import/ship goods to the UK, they may get stopped by customs and you may have to pay tax. AKA any real profit you make is therefore negated. Plus it will cause delays.

If you have a friend abroad and they send it as a gift it will be fine.

Last option, if you physically go abroad, you get TAX FREE prices, aka cheaper than the gross amount on newegg etc, as you can claim back the tax at the airport.

SO there you go.

I say ebuyer offers most competitive prices in the UK, but check around. Unless you are going abroad, id stick to national shipping. But do check on border customs as I havent actual experience, only heard.

Thanks.. I have found a site Overclocker.co.uk but can't seem to find the two products. It seems to be a decent site (price wise) But When I type in either: AMD FX-6200 or ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard.. It doesn't seem to narrow the search down it just shows everything.

I have found the AMD on scan.co.uk but not the motherboard.. So hoping to find them both on the same site to get them sent together.
June 27, 2012 11:22:40 PM

Ok having a look around and seeing the motherboard being around £90ish Including VAT... In america its $74.99 which is £48 Is this motherboard just more expensive over here?
June 28, 2012 6:13:36 PM

Hi. Just wondering if anyone can help me out with the motherboard. I can't seem to find one on an american site that will ship or find one that's as cheap in the UK