Closed Solved

FX-4170 or FX-4300

Hello. :hello:
I am going to build a gaming PC but cannot decide what CPU to get.
I want to keep the price as low as possible but also get a lot of gaming performance.

The FX series processors seem perfect for my needs but I cannot decide which one to get.

I am mainly focused on the 4170 and the 4300.

Any suggestion are welcome.

Although I do not want to get a Phenom II processor because they are getting old and I want my computer to last me a long time.

I will be running games at 1920 by 1080 resolution and using an overclocked HD Radeon 7870 from Gigabyte.

Thank you. :)
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 4170 4300
  1. Best answer
    I would recommend the new Piledriver over the Bulldozer. Newer architecture and better performance.

What does the rest of your build look like?
  2. Just keep in mind that their performance is on par with Intel's i3 series, so don't expect being able to handle CPU heavy tasks like BF3's multiplayer.
  3. Considering Intel Core i3's can handle BF3 multiplayer just fine, I am not too concerned about the FX-41XX/43XX.

However, I would highly recommend the FX-4300. It will perform better than the FX-4170 due to the refined architecture while leaving you with a massive OC headroom for even more performance. Of course, if you would like to go Intel, the Intel Core i3 3220 is a GREAT value as well. You will have a significantly larger upgrade path with an i3 than with a FX chip.
  4. Between the two, i vote for the FX 4300....the improved IPC of PD should enable it to match the slighlty higher clocked FX-4170, but at the same time using significantly less power, only 95W vs the 125W of the older 4170.
    In other words, it also translates to lesser heat while OC'ing :)
  5. Thank you for all your suggestions. :)

Although will the FX-4300 be able to run BF3 if I overclock it or will there be a bottleneck of some sort?

Here are the full specs for my PC I am planning to build.

CPU: FX 4300

GPU: 7870 Gigabyte OC Edition

PSU: Not sure yet.

RAM: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 8GB

CASE: Cooler Master HAF 912

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

If over clocking, I am probably going to get a Cooler Master 212 Hyper Evo CPU cooler instead of the stock one because I heard the one it comes with is crap.

Thanks.
  6. You should be just fine. The 212 EVO is great, and you won't have any bottlenecks.
  7. Best answer selected by Headbomb.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Gaming Product