Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Should i upgrade my cpu or is this a good setup?

Last response: in CPUs
November 2, 2012 10:17:20 PM

Hello!
so I am thinking about upgrading my cpu and switching over to intel but I cant really come up with any good reasons to buy a new cpu and motherboard other than my cpu is outdated and I would like to be able to record lets plays and gameplay. Are there any other pros to buying a new cpu? Like would the performance of my machine increase substantially or something like that?
I was going to go with these instead of my current parts:
Intel i5-3570k
ASRock Z77 Extreme3 ATX LGA1155

current pc specs:
AMD FX-6100-six core processor
16 gb 1033 mhz ram
XFX Radeon 6950
ASUS M5A97 motherboard
windows 7 ultimate

More about : upgrade cpu good setup

a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 10:19:57 PM

It depends. If the computer doesnt do what you want it to do, then upgrade.

But if it does what you want it to do, then might as well go for it. The i5 is faster, but you would also have to reinstall Windows.

If you are satisfied with what you have, there is no reason to upgrade.
m
l
November 2, 2012 10:35:28 PM

Deemo13 said:
It depends. If the computer doesnt do what you want it to do, then upgrade.

But if it does what you want it to do, then might as well go for it. The i5 is faster, but you would also have to reinstall Windows.

If you are satisfied with what you have, there is no reason to upgrade.

the main reason why i want to upgrade is so that i can record videos and gameplay and because some of my games still lag (minecraft) would that be due to cpu or gpu?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 10:42:49 PM

Well one option could be getting a capture card for your video would be cheaper in my opinion if you are serious about it. The reviews to this card suggest getting updated software which is something one ought to do anyway but this is a cheaper option a 2500k would cost this and you don't need a motherboard for it :p  well you do but not a cpu/motherboard upgrade is what I was referring to.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l

Best solution

November 2, 2012 10:45:18 PM

The bulldozer are labeled as bad by many, but they should be enough for gaming, specially for a game like Minecraft.

but IMO you're better off upgrading to a better CPU than getting that card. Maybe you should check out the new Vishera CPUs of AMD. You won't have to change your motherboard.
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 10:57:06 PM

Hi :) 

All you need is a MUCH better graphics card...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 11:03:52 PM

If you do upgrade to intel you should also get 1600mhz ram.The I5-3570k is a great CPU with great OCing capabilities.
Recording game play requires a good CPU,fast memory and fast storage device.For gaming itself there wont be such differences to justify the expense imo.
But if have funds and wanna get a better gaming experience you could always get a more powerful card.
A new faster CPU will boost all aplications and greatly reduce loading times.

It comes down to you,if you can live with you current machine speed outside of games then stick to it.
If you wanna get an all-around faster machine with a small boost on some games and the ability to record gameplay then upgrade.
If you can live with you current machine speed and can pass on recording gameplay get a new GPU.

Thats how I put things ;) 

EDIT : also ASRock Z77 extreme 4 is better!
m
l
November 2, 2012 11:28:39 PM

blacknemesist said:
If you do upgrade to intel you should also get 1600mhz ram.The I5-3570k is a great CPU with great OCing capabilities.
Recording game play requires a good CPU,fast memory and fast storage device.For gaming itself there wont be such differences to justify the expense imo.
But if have funds and wanna get a better gaming experience you could always get a more powerful card.
A new faster CPU will boost all aplications and greatly reduce loading times.

It comes down to you,if you can live with you current machine speed outside of games then stick to it.
If you wanna get an all-around faster machine with a small boost on some games and the ability to record gameplay then upgrade.
If you can live with you current machine speed and can pass on recording gameplay get a new GPU.

Thats how I put things ;) 

EDIT : also ASRock Z77 extreme 4 is better!

would i have great performance if i crossfired my gpu with another or should i invest into a 7970 ghz edition? which would take a lot longer
m
l
November 3, 2012 12:44:39 AM

Best answer selected by JasonDaMacin.
m
l
November 3, 2012 7:07:10 PM

looking at ur system. their is NO REAL reason to change it or switch over to intel or upgrade. if your thinking about it cause of benchmarks. then your being fooled. most benchmarks are tailored towards intel anyway cause they pay the companies for it. the average difference between intel and AMD is only by a few seconds or minutes. As far as gaming, the average person cant tell the difference of framerates at a normal resolution. the ony difference is when they change the resolution to ultra high which the average gamer does not even use. YOu have 16 gigs, 6 core and a uber high video card. their is nothing more an intel setup can give you, just a smaller bank account.
m
l
!