Sign in with
Your question

Computer Unstable?

Last response: in Systems
June 27, 2012 5:36:57 PM

So, I recently got my computer back and I tried to start it. Got all the way to the Windows desktop, then it suddenly shuts down.
Tried to start it again, it goes into BIOS, and shuts down.
Removed GPU, same problem. Changed RAM, same problem. PSU is Thermaltake 430 Watt, and I'm sure it's fine since my build uses less than 200W. Plus, I used it for 2 years without any problems. And I made sure all the cables were connected.
That leaves the CPU and mobo. The mobo is a chief suspect since one of the RAM slots is dead. It's a Gigabyte H55 mobo.

Edit:
I got to the desktop and it gave me a bluescreen (DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL).

List of suspects:
CPU
GPU Removed the GPU and switched to IGP. Same problem.
RAM Switched to an older kit that I had. No luck.
PSU It's a 430 Watt, and my parts use about 200 Watts under load. Plus, it has been working for 2 years. Not likely.
Mobo
Hard Drive/DVD Drive If the OS boots up fine, why would it be causing problems?

More about : computer unstable

a b B Homebuilt system
June 27, 2012 6:32:54 PM

Got it back from where? A garbage can? A thief? A repair shop?

A computer will shut down if the processor is overheating. Check that the fan is spinning and not clogged with dust. Check that the heatsink is still securely attached with all 4 pins.
June 27, 2012 6:38:07 PM

geekapproved said:
Got it back from where? A garbage can? A thief? A repair shop?

A computer will shut down if the processor is overheating. Check that the fan is spinning and not clogged with dust. Check that the heatsink is still securely attached with all 4 pins.

The HSF is properly attached, and I don't think there is much dust.. The fan is spinning.

One more thing: This time it gave me a BSOD saying DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
June 27, 2012 7:57:26 PM

Try booting into it with a Linux distro if you can, like Knoppix or something, and see if it will boot and run ok. That's what my next step would be anyway.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 27, 2012 8:13:18 PM

You said you got your computer back. FROM WHERE?

Re-install windows, that should fix your problems.
June 27, 2012 8:21:34 PM

geekapproved said:
You said you got your computer back. FROM WHERE?

Re-install windows, that should fix your problems.

I got it from my garage... it was left there for a few months.

How can I re-install Windows if it doesn't even go into BIOS?
a b B Homebuilt system
June 27, 2012 9:24:54 PM

I thought your edit said you got to the desktop? Anyway, that's where knoppix comes into play. If you can boot with knoppix i would guess it's an OS issue, if you can't, it's a motherboard issue.
June 27, 2012 11:07:51 PM

As I said, it's unstable... I'm dual-booting W7 with Ubuntu right now and I can boot to Ubuntu, but only sometimes... usually it doesn't even get through GRUB.
!