New build is faulty but not sure what's causing it.

Gabriel_Symes

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Hi there,

I built a computer recently but have been unabled to get it working fully.

Originally I was unable to get the mobo started with the graphics card in but that problem has since been resolved.

However in windows I am experiencing really bad connectivity and speed when connected on the wifi although I appreciate that could be anything however as it is a new build but my other devices are fine I feel it is worth mentioning.

The main problem is in windows the usb mouse (tried wireless and wired) is really stuttery and barely usable. A clean install of linux works fine.

I have stripped the build down to the bare essentials (no graphics card or pci wireless card) and the problems still occur.

The OS is installed on the SSD. I suspect it's either a faulty motherboard or PSU and I have an RMA on the mobo but want to be sure before I send it off.

PSU: Thermaltake toughpower 750w modular
CPU: i5 3570k
MOBO: ASRock Extreme4 z77 bios version 1.70
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
SSD: Sandisk extreme 120gb
HDD: WD CaviarBlack SATA3 640gb
Graphics: Geforce 9800GTX+
PCI wireless: some cheap generic one although the same problem occurs with an msi usb stick

Gabriel_Symes

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Yeh I did a clean install on a brand new SSD, just done a new reinstall and trying again, getting the latest updates from the ASRock website, it's working for the moment but it has been working previously before installing drivers and windows updates.

oxford373

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
did you try to set your bios to optimized default settings or unplug the power cable then remove battery for 5 minutes then return it
it do the same job of reset CMOS switch on the back of the motherboard

g-unit1111

Titan

Another question would be - did you update the BIOS on your motherboard?

Gabriel_Symes

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Yeh I did update the bios on the motherboard and switch to default settings. I didn't try removing the battery or waiting 5 minutes but I did turn the psu off and then pressed the reset cmos switch on the back of the motherboard.

I installed all the drivers on the cd, are the chipset drivers the INF drivers?

This time I'm installing off the web just waiting for a couple to finish downloading (internet massively throttled in the evening around here).

Gabriel_Symes

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
I have now installed:

INF driver
Realtek audio driver
Broadcom LAN driver
Intel USB3 driver
ASrock USB3 driver
ASrock Sata3 driver

and everything is working fine. Mind you this is without the graphics card, pci wireless card or HDD. Don't have the energy to try them tonight though.

I still have an unknown device and a PCI Simple Communications Controller flagged as having incorrect/missing drivers. I don't know what drivers are needed for this though? I won't be using raid or smart connect and I don't need rapid start as it is very fast with the SDD anyway. Should I install the intel management engine though? What does it really do?

g-unit1111

Titan

If it's a USB device I'd say just leave it - it's probably trying to find something connected to the case or your motherboard.

g-unit1111

Titan

I have one like that on my work PC - I haven't bothered to try to figure out what it is as it's most likely an external device.

Gabriel_Symes

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
No but I did find out what caused the other problems.

It's the wireless pci card, as soon as windows automatically installs the drivers, the problems start. System restored and it had gone. Strange compatibility issue as it worked in my previous build with presumably the same windows drivers.