Sign in with
Your question

Looking for reliable and cheap Wlan router. Any recommendations?

Last response: in Networking
July 4, 2011 12:37:45 PM

I am getting 10M/10M connection at end of august and I am looking for cheap but reliable Wlan router. Especially cable connections need to be as reliable as possible.

Current use:
-Wlan range requirement is very small. 10 meters is plenty.
-Windows 7 Desktop connected with cable.
-Xbox360 slim with cable but I might change it to Wlan.
-Old laptop with b/g wireless currently running Ubuntu. It might chance to some other Linux distro at whim or to Windows XP.

Future:
-I will have option to upgrade net to 100M/10M.
-I might be buying some sort of Android device that would use Wlan.
-I don't want to pay a lot for preparing for something I don't have. I am looking for cheap after all.

I live in Finland but I got couple months of time so I can buy it elsewhere as long as shipping isn't too expensive.

Any recommendations for cheap and reliable?
July 4, 2011 1:10:55 PM

do you have budget?

any websites you want to order from?
July 4, 2011 1:23:16 PM

Emerald said:
do you have budget?

any websites you want to order from?

No real budget but I guess if it is over 50€ I would need some really good reasons why it is worth that. I am not really looking for complicated or powerful device.

Any website works as long as it is reliable and ships to Finland with reasonable expense. Of course I will also look if I can buy it from Finland for similar price so all recommendations are welcome. I am mostly looking for model but places to shop are welcome as well since it is hard to find cheapest deals outside Finland.
Related resources
July 4, 2011 1:41:33 PM

D-Link DIR-655, Netgear WNR3500L, Linksys E2000
July 4, 2011 1:56:26 PM

Emerald said:
D-Link DIR-655, Netgear WNR3500L, Linksys E2000

Thanks. I looked those and have a question.

All those are "Gigabit routers" What does that actually mean?

I have currently no reason to move data directly from one computer to another so my need is only at max what 100/10M net connection can deliver. Is gigabit somehow useful for me or can I do just as well without?
July 6, 2011 1:11:45 AM

I have the Linksys WRT-310n (very similar to the E2000), and it works great. Most reliable router I have had in several years.
!