Need help connecting Corsair AX850 8 pins to GA-Z77X-UP7 mobo.

GruffDaddy

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
I recently purchased a GA-Z77X-UP7 mobo and Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 psu. The motherboard requires (2) 8 pin connectors. I seem to have 2 x 4+4-Pin ATX/EPS 12V that come with the psu. These are my questions:

1- The 4+4 connectors have different pin connectors to the PSU. One is 8 pin and the other 12 pin. The 12 pin however has 4 empty pin sockets so in reality I guess it could be considered 8. It connects fine into the PSU. The other however is a 4+4 so there are two clips to attach to the psu. The psu only has room for one clip per connector so I would only be able to connect one 4+4 to the psu unless I shaved off the clips. Any ideas?

2- The pin socket shapes in the connectors don't appear to match up with the mobo connector.The mobo connectors are square shaped at the ends while the psu cable has one square at one end and the other end is pentagonal (5 sided). It still fits but I wanted to make sure if this would be a problem.

Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

GruffDaddy

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
The manual does a poor job. No diagrams or pictures. The 2 sets of 8 pins are divided into 1 pair of 4 pins sharing one cable. That's why I posted. I figured it out now hopefully. Thanks to all who posted!

ocseva

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008

==========================================================================

I have exactly the same Mobo and PSU and face similar confusion - the 12V2X Plugs don't match the Mobo
sockets - 2 sets of 8-pin side-by-side supposed to ensure adequate power / current requirement but unable to find cables that fit.

The system works though, able to boot up n all but feel uneasy that such a high-end system is not properly connected with the correct cables.

Any advice greatly appreciated.