Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 7970 or Two Mid Level Cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 3, 2012 6:58:34 PM

I have been asking a lot of questions on the forum lately because I am going to build a new system sometime this year and I want to learn more about computers.

One of the questions I have is whether not it would be better to buy one Radeon 7970 card (or a Gtx 680) or have Crossfire/SLI two mid level cards. I will not be building this system for awhile, but I am trying to find out what is the best way to go.

I want to run eyefinity on three 1080p monitors. I probably wont be running Bf3 or anything to intense on this setup mainly simulation games and racing games for the cool experience.

I am also going to be using a motherboard with PCI 3.0 and a i7 processor (I dont know exactly which with either).

Thanks a lot guys all advice will be taken into consideration.
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 7:21:11 PM

Usually it's a better idea to get the strongest single card you can.
m
l
May 3, 2012 7:31:14 PM

The way I see it, you should get the best single card you can afford, and get a PSU strong enough to handle two of them, that way, when you find that you need a second card to keep up with tech, you can easily add another one and get another couple years out of your machine.
m
l
Related resources
May 3, 2012 7:34:54 PM

chumly said:
The way I see it, you should get the best single card you can afford, and get a PSU strong enough to handle two of them, that way, when you find that you need a second card to keep up with tech, you can easily add another one and get another couple years out of your machine.

That sounds like pretty good advice.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 7:35:27 PM

zace calm down
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 8:04:29 PM

For the price of one 7970, you can buy two 7850s. 2x7850 will be better in games. Buy the best card you can afford, is generally good advice (and the simpler option), but if you're seeking to get the most performance for your money, dual card setups deserve a look. If I have $500 and I'm buying today, I'm going with 2x7850.
m
l
May 3, 2012 8:24:33 PM

hapkido said:
For the price of one 7970, you can buy two 7850s. 2x7850 will be better in games. Buy the best card you can afford, is generally good advice (and the simpler option), but if you're seeking to get the most performance for your money, dual card setups deserve a look. If I have $500 and I'm buying today, I'm going with 2x7850.

I AM looking "to get the most performance for my money", but it might be a little harder to upgrade in the future. Other than that I think that this is a good option. I will look into the specs and such, but dual 7850 does not sound bad at all.
m
l
May 3, 2012 10:24:00 PM

Robopolo said:
I AM looking "to get the most performance for my money", but it might be a little harder to upgrade in the future. Other than that I think that this is a good option. I will look into the specs and such, but dual 7850 does not sound bad at all.

Just be aware before you buy 2 cards: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...

I run 2 6850's myself, and I don't have problems, but any game that those two cards aren't pulling 50+ frames you are going to see micro stuttering. If you're buying from Newegg and you're worried about budget (who isn't?) and you have time to wait before you buy, you can find open box cards for 25-50% off retail. I find that its best to check their stock between 1:00-2:00 AM PST. I've seen 7970's on there for ~$300.

See, for instance a 6950 is almost the same, performance wise, as a 7850, and they were selling them for $130 each: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Benchmarks:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/510?vs=549
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 1:47:50 AM

I run crossfire 5850s. <50 is about where I see micro-stutter too, so you do need to keep your frames up. Luckily keeping your frames up with 2x7850 probably won't be an issue.
m
l
May 4, 2012 7:09:09 AM

hapkido said:
I run crossfire 5850s. <50 is about where I see micro-stutter too, so you do need to keep your frames up. Luckily keeping your frames up with 2x7850 probably won't be an issue.

BF3 is a xfire/sli destroyer, and games are only going to get more detailed with time, so it's a judgement call. If u want your computer to play games well for one year or for three years? Next gen MMOs will be using DX11 not DX9 and the rendering of massive landscapes coupled with countless online players is going to push our hardware to the extremes, and he's talking about doing it on 3 monitors. I think his money would be better invested in a card with more memory and more cores with a possible addition later.
m
l
May 4, 2012 6:14:24 PM

chumly said:
Just be aware before you buy 2 cards: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...

I run 2 6850's myself, and I don't have problems, but any game that those two cards aren't pulling 50+ frames you are going to see micro stuttering. If you're buying from Newegg and you're worried about budget (who isn't?) and you have time to wait before you buy, you can find open box cards for 25-50% off retail. I find that its best to check their stock between 1:00-2:00 AM PST. I've seen 7970's on there for ~$300.

See, for instance a 6950 is almost the same, performance wise, as a 7850, and they were selling them for $130 each: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Benchmarks:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/510?vs=549

Wow, I wont be buying the whole system anytime soon, but if I can catch a deal on one of those that would really help out. I looked at the benchmarks and those give a great comparison between all of the current high end cards.
m
l
May 4, 2012 6:19:11 PM

chumly said:
BF3 is a xfire/sli destroyer, and games are only going to get more detailed with time, so it's a judgement call. If u want your computer to play games well for one year or for three years? Next gen MMOs will be using DX11 not DX9 and the rendering of massive landscapes coupled with countless online players is going to push our hardware to the extremes, and he's talking about doing it on 3 monitors. I think his money would be better invested in a card with more memory and more cores with a possible addition later.

I dont plan on using eyefinity while playing Bf3 (I will if I can get high enough fps but it is not a priority). If I get two 7850s or better do you think there will be any microstuttering?
m
l
!