Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Making your own Biocide?

Last response: in Components
November 2, 2012 10:51:33 PM

Hello,
I am going to put together a liquid cooling kit. I have looked at a brand of biocidal water additive called Dead-Water by IandH, it says that it is 5% copper sulfate and 95% distilled water. So I took my copper sulfate and added it to the proper amounts of distilled water, Is it safe, and will it function the same? it has seemed to dissolved very well and i have it in a small plastic container.

More about : making biocide

November 2, 2012 10:55:28 PM

Hi :) 

You are RISKING your whole computer burning out for the sake of a few dollars or pounds .... :( 

Buy the correct stuff...

All the best Brett :) 
Score
November 2, 2012 11:20:58 PM

Just buy a silver kill coil.
Score
Related resources
November 5, 2012 1:12:00 AM

Yep,

I agree with what was said above, get some of the real fluid, or some PTnuke, along with a kill coil. That and distilled water will work great.
Score

Best solution

November 5, 2012 6:08:19 AM

As long as your CusO4 is pure, theres no reason you can't mix your own but for the time and effort, you may as well buy it as mentioned, unless you are planning on some super 10L loop?
UV cathodes, silver killciol or storebought algaecide are all perfectly good solutions on their own or in conjunction, but the algaecide is the only one that will detract from the cooling potential of a loop, the other two do not affect the waters makeup and therefore don't reduce its power
Moto
November 5, 2012 11:01:08 AM

Using ethylene glycol (antifreeze) and distilled water mix at 1:1 would get the job done as well.
Score
November 7, 2012 6:40:51 PM

Best answer selected by killo95.
Score
November 7, 2012 6:41:19 PM

Thanks for all the feedback, I will probably buy my own stuff (its only a few dollars anyway).
Score
November 8, 2012 6:00:07 AM

Yup, and remember to read AND follow the instructions, you may think increasing the % of it in the solution is a good thing, but they recommend a certain mix for a reason :) 
Thank you for B.a. man, glad to help
Moto
Score
!