i7 3770k Extremely High Temperatures: Overvolting?

reichman101

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
I Idle around 40 Celsisus. My Prime95 on max load was 95 Celsius before I stopped it about 1min in. Are these things to be worried about?

Edit: I should specify a few things shouldn't I?

MB: Asus Sabertooth z77
Gpu: Asus gtx 670 dc2t
PSU: Corsair 750w Gold
*Case*: Haf 922 (The top 200mm Fan is on RMA right now but it can't be the cause for this bad of a problem)

Edit2:

Ok I reseated it successfully and it seems to have made little to no difference... When I was putting the pins in I tried to do them diagonally but one would always not go in so I finally had all 3 in and had to force the 4th in but I looked at the back and it didn't leave a scratch so no problems there.

But are the 3 strips of Thermal Paste really enough? When I looked at the cooler and the top of the cpu it looked like there was barely any on there at all and not spread very evenly as I believed that it would have.

*********EDIT3: My clock speed is at 4ghz and over browsing fire fox and my voltage is almost always over 1.2v. Could this info help you guys help me?*******

I also took pics of the cooler and the top of the cpu for people to tell me if there is not enough on there. I have Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste lying around to use.

Should I post the pics of the cooler and the top of the cpu so you guys can tell me if there is enough on there or not?

Edit: I'm posting them anyways.

Cooler:
http://i.imgur.com/ZB0rG.jpg

CPU:
http://i.imgur.com/okvgD.jpg

Solution
Nooooo, it wouldnt OC it by itself to 4.2. For it to be that high, you or a program that you enabled would do it. I dont have OC active in my bios and I have the Asus Gen3 board. Which MB do you have? Turbo Boost only would punch it up to 3.90. You'r in OC territory. Maybe someone can chime in, when dealing with BIOS Im a chicken but wouldnt the logical thng to do is disable OC in BIOS? Anyone?

reichman101

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

No not at all, what sticker do you mean?

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
-Just looked at the stock cooler for my i7 that I never used....

No plastic cover. Just 3 "strips" of pre-applied thermal paste.

My 212 came with the plastic cover.

Sorry for the confusion.

First thing to check is that your heat sink is fully seated.

The instructions say to seat each "clip" straight down by a criss-cross pattern.

You didn't rotate the clips after snapping them in did you? That's how you release them for removal.

InvalidError

Titan

When you open the Intel box, the HSF sits against a plastic cap acting as a spacer to prevent the paste from touching the box. Since there is nothing fastening that 'cap' to the HSF or the box, the cap will be sitting on the HSF if you remove the HSF from the box by flipping it upside-down and fall off the HSF if you somehow didn't notice it before flipping the HSF right-side up or vertical for installation, which makes it pretty much impossible to accidentally install the HSF with the 'cap' still on.

reichman101

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

Yes, I was hoping that was what he was referring to. The spacer I took off before I put it on yes, I am going to try to reseat it and see if this helps. I will be back to post if this helped at all. If it helps at all I didn't notice this until yesterday after I alt tabbed back into Chivalry: Medieval Warfare and it drove up my cpu to my Core Temp overheat protection (85 Celsius). I went to dust it with a can of air and it didn't seem to help, but I could have sworn that it wasn't this bad before.

P.S. I had played Chivalry before and alt tabed without it reaching my overheat protection.

reichman101

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Ok I reseated it successfully and it seems to have made little to no difference... When I was putting the pins in I tried to do them diagonally but one would always not go in so I finally had all 3 in and had to force the 4th in but I looked at the back and it didn't leave a scratch so no problems there.

But are the 3 strips of Thermal Paste really enough? When I looked at the cooler and the top of the cpu it looked like there was barely any on there at all and not spread very evenly as I believed that it would have.

I also took pics of the cooler and the top of the cpu for people to tell me if there is not enough on there. I have Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste lying around to use.

Should I post the pics of the cooler and the top of the cpu so you guys can tell me if there is enough on there or not?

Edit: I'm posting them anyways.

Cooler:
http://i.imgur.com/ZB0rG.jpg

CPU:
http://i.imgur.com/okvgD.jpg

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
I looks like it was enough. However, I wouldn't try to reuse it. Clean it off of both the CPU and the cooler and try again.

I suspect there is some sort of problem with the mounting, considering the difficulty you experienced.

Diagonal pins?

reichman101

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

One of the pins was able to turn full circle so that isn't right... But I really think there wasn't enough across the whole thing, it should be distributed evenly. And it wasn't. But the problem must be with the cooler not my mb mounting right?

InvalidError

Titan
Most of the heat gets transferred through the IHS area directly on top of the CPU die. Having 100% coverage on the IHS would not improve heat transfer substantially. More is better than less but is not worth worrying about unless you need or really want to squeeze every last bit of cooling out of your setup.

When pushing pins, you need to press and hold down the plastic frame near the pins so the frame sits snug against the motherboard before pressing pins or the pin's prongs might start spreading half-way into the motherboard's holes. When that happens, pins become difficult or impossible to push and the HSF will be askew on top of the CPU, which would be no good.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
It probably has something to do with the "diagonal" pin you mentioned, but it sounds like the stock HSF is not going to work for you.

At this point, I would get a cheap aftermarket cooler that uses its own mounting points and back plate. (This way the motherboard itself isn't the only platform forming facilitating the contact between the CPU and cooler.

Try a coolermaster 212+ and be sure to use the back plate and metal mounting points that come with it.

Of course, make sure the fan isn't dead on the stock HSF first. (But I assume you did that already at this point)

reichman101

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

This is what I am most likely going to end up doing anyways :ange: But maybe you can help if I told you that I idle at the clock speed of about 3.5ghz? I may have a few programs open but it's not like I'm rendering in the background!

Also thank you so much for your interest and continued participation in my problem! :bounce:

InvalidError

Titan
Just a FYI, looking at my rebuilt PC's core temperatures a week after the initial build... my typical load (45%) core temperatures dropped from 65C to 57C. I'm guessing most of the improvement is simply due to Intel's stock HSF paste spreading out over time with heat and pressure.

reichman101

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Hey guys, I still haven't solved this issue but I'm getting my new fan back from RMA soon and I will see how much this helps. Although still these temperatures are still ridiculously high! Feel free to give me any tips!

Also should my clock speed be very high, like 3.8ghz, while on firefox?

reichman101

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

Can you read? STOCK cooler. Everything is as it is when it comes out of the package to right onto the CPU. Thanks for nothing. -_-

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
FYI, I have the CM Hyper 212+ I use the "crop lines" between the pipes on the bottom. It sticks out enough that I hit every crevice and when I seat it on the CPU, the CPU has a nice cover on it. I saw it when I took out my i5-2400 and replaced it with i7-3770k. I used a paper towel and 99% isopryl to clean off the old thermal paste. I haven't used a stock cooler since the Intel Core 2 Duo :) E6300. What temperatures should be ideal for CPU?