Sign in with
Your question

What GFX card to get?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 3, 2012 7:44:08 PM

hi, my problem is i can never make a decision on what to buy. so i need help deciding what gpu would be optimal for my gaming build. i dont really care about price or brand. but please put which version of the card you are suggesting too. thanks
specs:
NZXT Vulcan mATX Case
i7 3770k ivy bridge cpu @3.9ghz
asus maximus v gene z77 mATX mobo
gskill trident x 8gb 2400mhz ram
seasonic x850 psu

everything is water cooled

i currently have a single 32" display but i will probly get 3 20" monitors too because triple monitor gaming looks cool and i love racing/flight simulators (suggestions on this are welcome too)

thank you :hello: 

More about : gfx card

a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 8:20:43 PM

Well, I'd suggest waiting a bit and going for either an AMD Radeon 7990 when it comes out, or a GTX690 if you can get your hands on one. Otherwise maybe go crossfire 7970s. In all of those cases, I would try to get hold of an ASUS card, as in my experience Asus' customer service and build quality are much better than most of the competitors. That said, EVGA for nVidia and Sapphire/MSI for AMD are also very good.
May 3, 2012 9:50:46 PM

FtsArTek said:
Well, I'd suggest waiting a bit and going for either an AMD Radeon 7990 when it comes out, or a GTX690 if you can get your hands on one. Otherwise maybe go crossfire 7970s. In all of those cases, I would try to get hold of an ASUS card, as in my experience Asus' customer service and build quality are much better than most of the competitors. That said, EVGA for nVidia and Sapphire/MSI for AMD are also very good.

i think it will be near impossible to find a 690. that being said i think i would rather get a 680 ftw 4gb than a 690 anyway. i was thinking more along the lines of a single $500-700 card. not dual. but i guess it is a possibility i could get a 2 in 1 card.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 10:18:13 PM

Well, if you want to play games on good/high settings across 3 monitors, you are going to NEED a dual GPU card, or SLI/CrossfireX two cards.
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 10:50:51 PM

trogdor796 said:
Well, if you want to play games on good/high settings across 3 monitors, you are going to NEED a dual GPU card, or SLI/CrossfireX two cards.

True. And after the release of GTX 690 today, all benches shows that 2 GTX 680s are still on the lead. So if you can afford 2 GTX 680s in SLI go for it otherwise you need to consider HD 7970s CF.
May 4, 2012 12:00:17 AM

ilysaml said:
True. And after the release of GTX 690 today, all benches shows that 2 GTX 680s are still on the lead. So if you can afford 2 GTX 680s in SLI go for it otherwise you need to consider HD 7970s CF.

k so im getting 2 680s unless i can somehow find a 690..
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 12:05:33 AM

c0mrade said:
k so im getting 2 680s unless i can somehow find a 690..

Well, that's impossible and it will be more than 1 K. Actually it's 2K on ebay :o 
a c 190 U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 12:10:50 AM

I would say go for the 680 as well, just make sure you have enough spare in that case. Have fun with the cable management! I have the same case, and the cable management is pretty difficult, but also very nice.
May 4, 2012 1:08:48 AM

ilysaml said:
Well, that's impossible and it will be more than 1 K. Actually it's 2K on ebay :o 

patience my friend

Deemo13 said:
I would say go for the 680 as well, just make sure you have enough spare in that case. Have fun with the cable management! I have the same case, and the cable management is pretty difficult, but also very nice.

just out of curiosity, what color scheme do you use for it.
a c 190 U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 3:03:49 AM

c0mrade said:
patience my friend

just out of curiosity, what color scheme do you use for it.

Right now I'm sticking with the stock color scheme, but I am thinking of painting both of the sides (where it bulges) orange and maybe the front mesh. I really like the orange, but I don't think orange case lighting exists, which I kinda want. Yours?
!