Need some advice on psu and other parts.

Hi,

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/4893/50349808.png Can you guys check out if this build is alright ? My main concerns are:
1.IS that Gembird wireless board the thing i need to cath wi fi? (I have wi fi in my house)
2. Is the ram any good? (I will buy another 4gb later, cuz im low on cash right now)
3. PSU. Is it enough for this build ?
4. Am I i missing any parts ? (i have the speakers)

Also, i may be adding hyper 212 cpu cooler later, once i get cash.

Im buying parts of this web : www.kilobaitas.lt
And i tried to keep this build as cheap as possible to squeeze in that gtx 670.

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/4893/50349808.png
12 answers Last reply
More about need advice parts
  1. Good idea going with the 670, good CPU choice, the wifi adapter is old so I would suggest one of the TP Link made ones, RAM is fine, PSU is OK. There are better PSUs out there, but that one will work. Also, I would suggest the hyper 212 Evo cooler instead. It's maybe 10 bucks more but it will give great performance for the price.
  2. Augray37 said:
    Good idea going with the 670, good CPU choice, the wifi adapter is old so I would suggest one of the TP Link made ones, RAM is fine, PSU is OK. There are better PSUs out there, but that one will work. Also, I would suggest the hyper 212 Evo cooler instead. It's maybe 10 bucks more but it will give great performance for the price.

    Also, the gtx 670 is ref design, no custom cooling. Is that rly bad? are the temps normal? I would have gone for a gigabyte version, but im on a very tight budget. I dont know much abot those wi fi boards, but this is what i found
    http://www.kilobaitas.lt/Beviele_iranga/TP-Link/TP-Link_TL-WN751ND_Wireless_PC/TL-WN751ND/CatalogStoreDetail.aspx?CatID=PL_558&ID=419298
    Or thats not what u suggested? I didnt even look further cuz i wanna it cheap..
  3. just a heads up, cooler master psus arent of great quality. several of the gx series psus are just stickers ontop of their lower power ones.

    http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page364.htm

    top gx section shows you that the psus score pretty low on sites that usually give generous scores.
  4. Yes that wifi card is much better, as I'm a fan of TP link and how simple they are to set up. The standard gtx 670 reference design is fine, it shouldn't cause any problems. And while I agree with dudewitbow about the PSU not being great, I think it's good enough. If you can though, look around and see if you can find a better quality one.
  5. So which are good psu brands apart from OCZ and Seasonic ? Are corsair cx series good ? Or maybe this http://www.kilobaitas.lt/Korpusu_mait_saltiniai/OCZ_Technology/PSU_OCZ__ModXStream_Pro_500W/OCZ500MXSP/CatalogStoreDetail.aspx?CatID=PL_403&ID=376773 would be enough for my build ? The newegg calculator shows 490w minimum, so this would be quite risky, right ?
  6. kokosis said:
    So which are good psu brands apart from OCZ and Seasonic ? Are corsair cx series good ? Or maybe this http://www.kilobaitas.lt/Korpusu_mait_saltiniai/OCZ_Technology/PSU_OCZ__ModXStream_Pro_500W/OCZ500MXSP/CatalogStoreDetail.aspx?CatID=PL_403&ID=376773 would be enough for my build ? The newegg calculator shows 490w minimum, so this would be quite risky, right ?


    There's no real such thing as a good brand(except maybe seasonic through a straight line, as they make their own psus). most other companies rebrand psus made by 3rd party companies. as for your question, certain OCZ and Corsair models are good, but the budget modxstream psu and the CX series say isn't as top quality compared to the rest of the series. they are usable, but not top.
  7. dudewitbow said:
    There's no real such thing as a good brand(except maybe seasonic through a straight line, as they make their own psus). most other companies rebrand psus made by 3rd party companies. as for your question, certain OCZ and Corsair models are good, but the budget modxstream psu and the CX series say isn't as top quality compared to the rest of the series. they are usable, but not top.


    So to a budget build that cooler maste would be OK ?
  8. kokosis said:
    So to a budget build that cooler maste would be OK ?


    if you had the choice of cooler master v the 2 you mentioned, id go with the ones you mentioned. CM in general has really bad psus and a good handful of them are just slapped on labels promising a higher wattage it cannot fulfill.
  9. Wouldnt that ocz 500 w be too weak? if im planning to oc my cpu, maybe gpu later..
  10. if there's the 600w model for sale, aim for that instead, same with if the corsair is there. As wattage goes up, the more it is necessary to buy a more quality psu because after 550w, the voltage starts to act differently and whichever psu has the better voltage regulator is the one less likely to explode and take down anything with it.
  11. But if im unable to find anything better? then take the 500 w ocz ? Also, i found some cheaper ram http://www.kilobaitas.lt/DDR3/A-Data/A-DATA_4GB_DDR3_DIMM_1333_256x/AD3U1333C4G9-S/CatalogStoreDetail.aspx?CatID=PL_426&ID=343695 is it good ?
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt WiFi Build Systems