AMD FX-8120 idle temp way too high?

rodney007

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Hi guys,

I am currently running a FX-8120 8-core CPU in a ASUS M578L-USB3 mother board.

I installed it yesterday and cleared BIOS and was running at 53*C IDLE with stock speeds!.

After inspection the V-CORE was was at 1.48v even when set to auto so after googling and disabling
things in BIOS V-CORE I got it to 1.21v but temps were at 48*C.

I reseated the Cooling fan with new contact grease and now temp is at 41*C.

Is 41*C too hot for idle?, BTW my temp when playing games it up to 50*C

What CPU cooler are you using? And what are your ambient temperatures? If you are using the stock AMD cooler, I would generally find these temperatures to be VERY acceptable. The FX-81XX chips are very power hungry with a lot of stuff under the hood; they'll surely run a bit hotter than what we're used to from the Phenom II's :)

G

i have the same motherbord and cpuinstalled ram 16 giga amd performance 1600mhz
hard dis 2 tera video card nvidea 2 giga and with 7 fans and coolermaster case the temp idle on economy energy is 35
if i set normal settings if i go only pla a few games on facebook the temp rises by 70 degrees i think there must be a problem with the stock coolers of amd or the mother bord from assus 1 14cm front 2 x12 cm hight flow on the upside of the case one on the botom and one x 12cm and one on the side also a 12 cm so i think there a problem with the gestion of the cpu with these motherboard we are not the only ones that have tha problem