Sign in with
Your question

What is considered decent idle/load temps?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Fan
  • Thermal Compound
Last response: in CPUs
November 3, 2012 5:56:28 AM

Gave my computer a thorough cleaning today. Grabbed thermal paste, compressed air, an anti-static rag, a new fan for the back of my case. Gutted the whole system, wiped it clean and aired it, re-applied thermal bonds and reassembled. CPU is running idle at around 120-130* F, under load at 160-175* F. I do not consider these to be normal temperatures and upon further examination, it seems that one of the clamps on my Socket 775 heat-sink and fan is missing it's clamps. Replacing tomorrow but as it stands, this is my flow configuration.

2x Fans in front of case (near drive docks): Pulling In.
Case Fan: Pulling In.
PSU: Pulling In (no choice there).
CPU: Pushing Out.
Top Fan: Pushing Out
Back Fan : Pushing Out

Proper Diagram:

My question. Although obvious I need a new heat-sink and fan (getting it tomorrow), are these temperatures outstandingly dangerous? is it more effective to blow air AWAY from the CPU?

I'm under the impression that the CPU's melting point is somewhere between 215-220* F so they seem alarming to me.

Thanks in advance for the help.

More about : considered decent idle load temps

a b à CPUs
November 3, 2012 6:51:44 AM

What CPU are you running ? Your temps under load is too much. Ide seems ok depending on the CPU. By the way, what kind of load are we talking about here ? Are you gaming ?

If you are not doing anything intensive, I guess you can still use it, but I will strongly advice against gaming or heavy use, and PLEASE get that heat-sink FAST.

I think the temps you are seeing are a result of the broken clamp.
m
l
November 3, 2012 7:19:34 AM

@Nedal0 - Idle's / Web Browsing @ 120-130.
Gaming / Youtube / Bluray Playback @ 150-170. Anything system/GPU intensive.

System is:

MOBO: ASUS P5G41T-M LX
CPU: Intel Quad Q6600 (Usually around 90 idle, 130 load)
GPU: ATI Radeon 5770
RAM: 8GB DDR3
PSU: 500W (bare minimum for the whole system, getting ready to upgrade that too).

Any other specs you need?

All I've done so far was a 30 sec Furmark bench. CPU peaked 177* and GPU hit 181* normal and 194 under Xtreme Burn-in.

All fans are running and both the CPU and GPU have fresh thermal bonds.

Official stress tests state 5770 should run at 165* and the Q6600 under heavy load should be around 149. These temps are pretty high. Right now the CPU is burning 147*, so it's as if it's under load but it's idle. Should I apply a little more thermal paste to tighten the bonds? I was a bit light on it.
m
l
Related resources
November 3, 2012 7:32:41 AM

Okay, she just went down to 120* then shot back up to 150* then back down. For now, I'm going to shut her down; but I will install the new heatsink and apply a little more thermal paste tomorrow to both the CPU and GPU to see how it goes. I will check in tomorrow and let you know the result after stress testing.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 3, 2012 8:05:38 AM

your idle temp is about what my 2500k sit on at 4.2ghz under prime 95 torture test, in saying that my q9400 never got much hotter either than your idle temps while running at 3.6ghz spend 30 bucks and get something like a coolermaster 212 for some light overclocking of your q6600 and do it all quietly. personally i never let my cpu's ever go over 140f @100% load
m
l
November 3, 2012 10:53:13 PM

Got the new heatsink unit, CPU idles @ 80* stress never peaks 100* and torture hits around 130-140* and that's Fahrenheit. Applied a little more thermal paste to the vid card and it's keeping it's average temps now too. Running quiet too.

Thanks guys for the 411. All is well for now ^_^.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 3, 2012 11:22:30 PM

dbrown1986 said:
Got the new heatsink unit, CPU idles @ 80* stress never peaks 100* and torture hits around 130-140* and that's Fahrenheit. Applied a little more thermal paste to the vid card and it's keeping it's average temps now too. Running quiet too.

Thanks guys for the 411. All is well for now ^_^.

really i wouldnt be touching the videocard, it shouldnt need more than the dust being blown out of it unless you are putting on aftermarket hsf configuration. its the easiest and best way to void your warranty
m
l
November 4, 2012 12:07:45 AM

@Jason - You should have seen the before. It's in a house with an exceedingly HUGE amount of dust content. The computer had been cleaned out 2 months prior and looked like a dust bomb had gone off in it. EVERYTHING had to be cleansed. Both the CPU and GPU were caked in it and the fans and heat-sink could not breath at all, they were choked by it. Most of the time the fans were not spinning at their designated RPM's.

The warranty is out on the card. Bought it spring/summer of 2011.

Now, I'm just going to give it a light airing every week.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 4, 2012 12:23:56 AM

dbrown1986 said:
@Jason - You should have seen the before. It's in a house with an exceedingly HUGE amount of dust content. The computer had been cleaned out 2 months prior and looked like a dust bomb had gone off in it. EVERYTHING had to be cleansed. Both the CPU and GPU were caked in it and the fans and heat-sink could not breath at all, they were choked by it. Most of the time the fans were not spinning at their designated RPM's.

The warranty is out on the card. Bought it spring/summer of 2011.

Now, I'm just going to give it a light airing every week.

i understand that i may get full of dust but it wont affect the thermal paste, dust wont get in there. just use like an air compressor or co2 can short term. long term you wanna either

change your fan and set it up so that its positive pressure, you have more cfm exhaust than air feed so your case will suck air in from where ever it can, making it negative pressure, if its positive pressure (more pressure in than out, the air can only go in where you want it to, you dont want it vacuuming your carpet now. btw dont sit it on carpet if you do raise it

add some dust filters where it feeds air in from and seal the rest of your case, minus the exhausts best you can and just brush the filters off once a week

or spend some cash and get a case with decent air filtration already on it, oh dunno if you smoke but if you do it will suck up all your ash too

m
l
!