Sign in with
Your question

How to increase frame rate in flight simulator x

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 3, 2012 10:33:31 PM

So I built my own box and I'm very happy with the result, but there is one thing that has been bugging me for a while now. On most games, the graphics are very good, but I note that in Flight Simulator X (FSX) the frame rate is only about 8-10 fps. This makes some of the trickier approaches and landings very hard to do (especially in a crosswind with gusts!)

I spent a lot of money on this system, so I don't want to turn down the graphics and simulation quality from Ultra-High, but I was wondering if it's time for a graphics card upgrade or perhaps something else might be the limiting factor. Or perhaps I just need some tweaking? My specs are as follows:

Processor: Intel i7 - 930 @ 2.8 GHz (Quad core)
Memory: 4 GB of RAM
Graphic Card: HIS HD 5770 IceQ 5 Turbo 1GB (128bit) GDDR5 PCIe
HDD: 1TB WD @ 7200 RPM

If I wanted to drop some more money into this, would a higher end graphics card improve my fps? And should I go for more GPU or more RAM on the graphics card?

Thanks!
-Wu
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 5:26:36 PM

Yes the thing with FSX is it's more CPU bound than GPU. You will definately need to overclock your CPU. With your specs although respectable you won't get FSX running with max settings even with tweaks.
I run FSX on an i7 920 at 3.6Ghz and HD5970 but still only get around 18fps at Heathrow UK on medium high settings although this is with added airport traffic and scenery packs and Weather programs etc etc.
Also alot depends on where you fly, e.g If i take off from East Midlands airport i'm getting around 35fps but Heathrow i'm getting around 18fps. Have a look at the following link for some interesting performance tweaks:- http://www.flightsimdreams.com/j/attachments/031_FSXTwe...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 5:29:32 PM

Oh just another thought don't waste money on Xfireing your 5770 as FSX doesn't support multiple GPU's. You will need to buy a higher end sigle GPU card. Also you might want to upgrade your RAM if you want to add scenery packs etc.
m
l
!