Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card upgrade-confused

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 3, 2012 10:48:16 PM

hi, im presently using nVidia GeForce 9600 GT(1GB,DDR3) on asus M3A78-EM motherboard and has a psu of 600W. i wanted to upgrade my graphic card with amd radeon and when i checked with my local shop they supplies max upto AMD Radeon HD 6570 GDDR5 1GB. is this card better than the one which im presently using. other cards are not available as they are expensive and locals wont purchase. so my only option is HD6570 max. when i checks the specs my present card leads in some areas like Shader Cloc, Pixel Fill Rate, Texture Fill Rate. battlefield 3 dont look that well with my card and that goes to crysis 2 also. is AMD Radeon HD 6570 GDDR5 1GB is better than nVidia GeForce 9600 GT DDR3 1GB. kindly advise me on this.
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 10:52:55 PM

The HD6570 is roughly equivalent to your currect card. There might be some minor performance differences, and the HD 6570 would use less power, but all in all it would be a waste of money.

Are you not able to make a purchase at an online retailer from your location, or perhaps get the shop to special order you something?
m
l
a c 253 U Graphics card
May 3, 2012 10:58:24 PM

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

This graphics chart should help you when looking for a card and not knowing which is better.
Newegg.com has a wide selection of cards to choose from and if your able to purchase online then you could pick up a good card there.

What is your budget amount for this purchase?
m
l
Related resources
May 4, 2012 12:29:51 AM

87ninefiveone said:
The HD6570 is roughly equivalent to your currect card. There might be some minor performance differences, and the HD 6570 would use less power, but all in all it would be a waste of money.

Are you not able to make a purchase at an online retailer from your location, or perhaps get the shop to special order you something?

hi,

thanks for your reply.

i checked with my online store and an Asus AMD/ATI HD 7770 Direct CU 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card is available at an unbelievable low price.

but the problem is that my motherboard has only PCI EXPRESS X16 2.0 SLOT and the card specs shows its 3.0. is it compatible with my motherboard(PCIE X16 2.0 slot), which is asus M3A78-EM. and my cpu is amd phenom II X4 920, is it compatible with the card.

the card also requires 500W (or greater) power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector, i have 600W but doesnt know whether 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector is there on the psu. will it work without the power connector as the PCIE 2.0 is capable of supplying 150W max and the card reportedly takes only between 95-105W at max load. please advise.

m
l
May 4, 2012 12:33:48 AM

inzone said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

This graphics chart should help you when looking for a card and not knowing which is better.
Newegg.com has a wide selection of cards to choose from and if your able to purchase online then you could pick up a good card there.

What is your budget amount for this purchase?

hi,

thanks for your reply.

my budget is $230 max.im in india and i checked with my online store(www.flipkart.com) and an Asus AMD/ATI HD 7770 Direct CU 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card is available at an unbelievable low price.

but the problem is that my motherboard has only PCI EXPRESS X16 2.0 SLOT and the card specs shows its 3.0. is it compatible with my motherboard(PCIE X16 2.0 slot), which is asus M3A78-EM. and my cpu is amd phenom II X4 920, is it compatible with the card.

the card also requires 500W (or greater) power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector, i have 600W but doesnt know whether 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector is there on the psu. will it work without the power connector as the PCIE 2.0 is capable of supplying 150W max and the card reportedly takes only between 95-105W at max load. please advise.

m
l
May 4, 2012 12:41:05 AM

get the HD 7770 Direct CU its is compatible with the PCIE X16 2.0 slot without any performance issues actually it uses much lower bandwidth than what your socket offers, Also I recommend that u upgrade your CPU later if u can or at least overclock it for now
m
l
May 4, 2012 12:51:43 AM

supersonic977 said:
get the HD 7770 Direct CU its is compatible with the PCIE X16 2.0 slot without any performance issues actually it uses much lower bandwidth than what your socket offers, Also I recommend that u upgrade your CPU later if u can or at least overclock it for now

hi,

thanks for the reply.

so the card which is PCIE X16 3.0 is compatible with my motherboard's PCIE X16 2.0 slot. isnt it.

is it mandatory to overclock my cpu.

can you advise me on the power supply.the card also requires 500W (or greater) power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector, i have 600W but doesnt know whether 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector is there on my psu. will it work without the power connector as the PCIE 2.0 is capable of supplying 150W max and the card reportedly takes only between 95-105W at max load.
m
l
May 4, 2012 1:29:27 AM

-Its Totally compatible even if u get the monster GTX 690 it will be fine on the v2.0 socket.
-U don't have to but u will get a noticeable performance boost if u overclock ur CPU.
-The card require single 6-pin power connector make sure u have that cable included with the card if u don't have it with your PSU. or u can simply buy one for about <1$
-If u have any PSU around 500 w from a good brand u will be fine

m
l
a c 253 U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 1:35:57 AM

You can get the 7770 and it will work on your computer the card is backwards compatable and that means it will work in a Pci-e 2.0 slot. The card will also come with a molex adaptor that will connect to a molex plug and the other end will be a 6 pin connector for the card. If you have a 6 pin connector on the psu now then that will work with the card. So you should be covered for that card to work for you in your computer.
If when you get the card and find out that your cpu is a bit slow for that card then you can overclock the cpu at that time and you may not have to and you can upgrade the cpu at a later time.
m
l
May 4, 2012 2:23:11 AM

i sincerely thank you all for your help. i was confused but have a clear idea now. i have already placed the order and will be getting it in a weeks time. will contact you then. see you all. bye. take care. once again i thank each and everyone of you.
m
l
!