printing dates on commercial prints

I wonder if there is commericial print site such as shutterfly or
walmart that would allow me to print the date the photo was taken in
FRONT of digital prints.

Date is part of every digital image, so it should be quite easy to do,
but I have not found a site that does that. I can use the software I
have at home to print dates on home prints, but I would rather use the
commerical sites: they are a lot cheaper.

Note I am looking for dates on the front and not the back. Some sites
do print the dates at the back.

Nav
5 answers Last reply
More about printing dates commercial prints

    On 3 Aug 2005 12:43:47 -0700, in rec.photo.digital navatweb@gmail.com
    wrote:

    >I wonder if there is commericial print site such as shutterfly or
    >walmart that would allow me to print the date the photo was taken in
    >FRONT of digital prints.
    >
    >Date is part of every digital image, so it should be quite easy to do,
    >but I have not found a site that does that. I can use the software I
    >have at home to print dates on home prints, but I would rather use the
    >commerical sites: they are a lot cheaper.
    >
    >Note I am looking for dates on the front and not the back. Some sites
    >do print the dates at the back.

    Use a program like Irfanview or Qimage to process your images to include
    this info in new copies. Then send these to your online printer.
    ----------
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

    Its a little more work for you...but you could but any type you like on the
    front.

    --
    Thanks,
    Gene Palmiter

    navatweb@gmail.com wrote:
    > I wonder if there is commericial print site such as shutterfly or
    > walmart that would allow me to print the date the photo was taken in
    > FRONT of digital prints.
    >
    > Date is part of every digital image, so it should be quite easy to do,
    > but I have not found a site that does that. I can use the software I
    > have at home to print dates on home prints, but I would rather use the
    > commerical sites: they are a lot cheaper.
    >
    > Note I am looking for dates on the front and not the back. Some sites
    > do print the dates at the back.
    >
    > Nav

    sigh.
    If you want a date on the picture, some cameras will do this ugly,
    and barbaric thing. Look in your manual.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

    Ed:
    Thanks for the info. IfranView is great. I was able to use it to add
    date and time to a batch of digital photos. I did not want to modify
    single images, and wanted a somewhat automatic way of adding dates.

    The programs prints the date AND the time and takes up a lot of real
    estate. I would have liked just the date (no time). But I could not
    figure out how to do that in batch mode.

    Also I would have liked the date to be printed in the lower right
    corner. IfranView allows you to input location in pixels, but different
    images are of different sizes, and it is not possible to come up with
    one value. Top left corner is the default, because the coordinates are
    fixed (0,0).

    The best choice would still be the commerical printers supporting an
    option to print dates from EXIF data. It is suprising that none
    supports it yet.

    A friend of mine returned her $1000 digital SLR because it would not
    print dates in the front. I told her it is not that difficult to do do
    because dates are in jpg images, but she is not a techie and did not
    want to go to the trouble of figuring out how to change her photos.

    I know the dates don't look good, but it is convenient to have them
    right in the photo when they might be behind a frame or inside albums.

    On 4 Aug 2005 09:05:25 -0700, navatweb@gmail.com wrote:

    > Also I would have liked the date to be printed in the lower right
    > corner. IfranView allows you to input location in pixels, but different
    > images are of different sizes, and it is not possible to come up with
    > one value. Top left corner is the default, because the coordinates are
    > fixed (0,0).
    >
    > The best choice would still be the commerical printers supporting an
    > option to print dates from EXIF data. It is suprising that none
    > supports it yet.
    >
    > A friend of mine returned her $1000 digital SLR because it would not
    > print dates in the front. I told her it is not that difficult to do do
    > because dates are in jpg images, but she is not a techie and did not
    > want to go to the trouble of figuring out how to change her photos.

    A very simple solution is to use a printer that prints directly
    from memory cards. Epson's little 4"x6" printer has an option that
    prints the date/time in very small (but clear) characters in the
    bottom right of the print - no problems with different image sizes..
    I'd guess that printing from the computer using the printer's
    (Windows) drivers could do at least that much.

Photo Software Cameras