New graphic card, cpu doesn't work

ddaan9

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
Hello guys,

I recently bought a gigabyte gv-n65toc-2gi graphic card. The problem is that my moniter stays black when i start the pc. When I
took a look inside, cpu fan wasn't spinning, it tries to but failes (It moves less than a inch). First i thought it was my psu, so i installed a 500w cpu. It still didn't work. If i don't plug in the 6 pins connector on the graphic card, the system works properly. I installed the card in a different ATX computer and it works fine there! Can anyone help me?????

system.
asus p8h67i deluxe (mini itx)
intel i5 3450
350w psu
4gb ram

graphic card: gigabyte gv-n65toc-2gi

ddaan9

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
be quiet system power 350w. But i removed the ocz 500w from the ATX computer, and put it in the itx computer, same problem. But it works with the same ocz 500w psu in the atx computer.

Probably a combination of the i5 and the GPU too much for the 500W PSU, definitely sounds like an underpowered PSU problem... If you have a multimeter check the 12v, 5V and 3.3V rails when powering up, esp 12V. Doubt you'll get much more than a flicker on the meter when you hit the power button...

ddaan9

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012

But the atx pc uses also the same ocz 500w and runs on a i5 2500k. Only big Difference is the atx motherboard. The graphic card runs fine there, but not in with mini itx when i use the same 500w psu. When i check the 12volt rail in the asus bios, without the graphic card with the 350w, the bar is filled for 3 quarters. The others are hardly filled.

Mystery. Almost as if there's a short on the itx board. There's an extra load coming from somewhere! Not familiar with that BIOS, can you work out roughly what the voltages are before GPU plugged in, and what happens when you plug in the GPU power plug? In fact are you getting a display from the GPU without the power plug?

ddaan9

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012

No display when the gpu is plugged in with the 6pin from the psu. All the fans are running except the cpu, it tries but cannot spin. But when the gpu is plugged in without the 6pin psu the sytem works fine. So i can't give the voltages because i can't use bios after installing gpu

Understand that, but puzzled that the 'System works fine' wth the 6 pin plug removed, does that mean you're getting a display with it out? and if you were to plug it in with the BIOS displaying Voltages, you would be able to observe what happens to them...?

ddaan9

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012

The system works but it can't find the gpu when i try to install the drivers. Monitor cable is attached to motherboard port. The fans are spinning on gpu and cpu.

So, with the GPU installed, but without the 6pin connector, you can get to BIOS ok using the onbard GPU. Presumably if you then connect the 6 pin whilst osberving the voltages the machine will lose power. Still tells me that the PSU is not coping, for whatever reason!

TRENDING THREADS