What can happen if a overcloking goes wrong?

thetheodor

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
What can happen if a overcloking goes wrong?

I've decided to overclock my amd 1055t to 4mhz.
Is it possible to overclock it to 4mhz?
I have a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 to cool my CPU.

Thanks!

MadDog121

Honorable
May 24, 2012
I would call that a below-clock, who wants to set the clock speed to 4MHz? xD
jk
Nothing too serious should happen, as chromenut said, it usually gets unstable and shuts itself off. That's the protection against overclock mess-ups or high temperatures :)

gene_11

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
ooops, OCing also requires volt increase, be careful with it. it may cause damage to the processor in just a push to that power sw.

cbag

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Try increasing incrementally and see if it is stable and temps aren't too bad. Then you can always increase it again. When you get to the point that things are unstable just go back to the last stable setting and keep it there.

gene_11

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
my 1090amd phenom is stable at 1.5volts. so maybe with the 1055. just do it little by little. also with the reference clock increase with 5 increments.
until you find it crashes, goback to the reference clock. just dont up the volts too much

Thomas Creel

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
Fision, the atoms inside the nm processor begin to double and your processor blows up in a shotgun blast of little nm size processor fragments.

The computer just shuts itself off and resets it's CMOS settings.

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Set the voltage manually, and then increase your clock speed in small amounts, if it becomes unstable, restart, enter BIOS, and bump up the voltage a bit. Then try again. Make sure you have good cooling, monitor your temperatures, and make sure you don't add too much voltage. Use prime95, intel burn test, or whatever you prefer to test if the machine is stable. The thing that can damage your processor is heat, and voltage, too much of either of those can cause the cpu to degrade or kill it.

Hope this clarifies things a bit!

InvalidError

Titan

As interesting as running a modern CPU at 4MHz might be, it probably is impossible because structures within the clock generator PLLs would almost certainly be unable to go anywhere near that low.

As for the worst that can happen, none of the CPU's protections can do a thing about overzealous over-voltage and in that case, the worst that can happen is magic blue smoke.

It's why I keep a trusty TRS-80 laying around. 1.78mhz. :ouch: