Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Lots of guys in the CPU and motherboards forum were looking for cheap platforms to build systems for family members.

<A HREF="http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1197957&sku=MBM-IS7V2-340D&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEM954C" target="_new">Abit IS7-V2 with Celeron D 2.93GHz for $80</A> The V2 is the cheapest version of the board, it doesn't even support dual-channel mode. I wouldn't touch these parts for my own system, but hey, it's a good value for people who need less.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I do really think that SUPER-LOW-END market will take more and more place, because even slowest today's CPU are amazingly fast and can do a lot of stuff (except gaming if they are not paired with a decent GPU).

Thus kind of bargain could be a good choice for building a file server.

I have an AMD K6-233MHz + 64 Megs of RAM that doesn't do anything, except accumulating DUST. I could turn it into a decent file/backup server with one an HDD (or 2 in RAID) with Linux on it.

-
GA-K8NF-9 / <b><font color=green>Athlon 64 3200+</font color=green> @ 3800+</b>
Infineon DDR400 (CL2.5) 2x512Megs
<font color=green>GeForce 6600GT 128Megs</font color=green>
<A HREF="http://www.getfirefox.com" target="_new">Get Firefox!</A>

I sent the IS7-V2 back to NewEgg. When I had a minor PC problem. I had my sister order IS7 from NewEgg. It came up IS7-V2. So without having puter I had her order it. I thought maybe an upgrade to IS7. When it arrived I opened box and took out manuel. The manuel did not look like the IS7. So I called a local PC shop and asked if he had IS7 in stock. He did. So I asked him about IS7-V2. He told me cheap mobo. Which I agreed. So I called NewEgg. Sent back IS7-V2. Got my money back. No wonder the price of the IS7-V2 is so CHEAP!!!!!!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
All the boards based on the IS7 PCB have IS7 in the name. The E is the cheap version of the standard IS7. The V is single channel, the 848 chipset being an 865 with dual-channel disabled.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS