How to know if my processor is not working

"How to know if my processor is not working"
Power is on, but will not turn on.
21 answers Last reply
More about processor working
  1. More info needed (components, what you've tried, is it a new setup a.s.o).
  2. This is a new set up, had a bad mother board and replaced it.
    Putting it all together again, power seems to be on, but when pressing the power utton, nothing happens
    it is an ASUS Maximus V Formula board and an intel I7 3770k proccessor
  3. alexoiu said:
    More info needed (components, what you've tried, is it a new setup a.s.o).

This is a new set up, had a bad mother board and replaced it.
    Putting it all together again, power seems to be on, but when pressing the power button, nothing happens
    it is an ASUS Maximus V Formula board and an intel I7 3770k proccessor
  4. Then it might be a power supply issue. Do the CPU and the case fans spin when powering up?
  5. alexoiu said:
    Then it might be a power supply issue. Do the CPU and the case fans spin when powering up?

No I only have lights on the mother board. No fans etc.
  6. The power supply is Corsair 850 Watt
  7. There's a test with a paper clip for power supplies http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4. If the fan does not spin, the PSU might be broken.
  8. Thanks I will try that.
  9. The video says to use the green wire, ALL the wires are black...
  10. try counting the wires, to know where place the clips. or maybe the power sw is bad,
    temporarily connect the reset sw. as the power sw.
  11. Maybe you haven't hooked up the case's power button to your motherboard correctly? I've done that before and thought I screwed up my processor.
  12. The power supply does work...
  13. When I hit the power button on the motherboard, nothing happens either
  14. MajinCry said:
    Maybe you haven't hooked up the case's power button to your motherboard correctly? I've done that before and thought I screwed up my processor.

When I hit the power button on the motherboard, nothing happens either
  15. The power supply is working.
  16. Check your p.c isnt earthed ..... Also do try clearing the cmos it might be the problem with the c.p.u voltage .
  17. could be the motherboard standoffs? or would the MB lights still light up if one was touching the MB in the wrong place?
  18. Yes, it might be a short related issue. Try testing the board outside of the case. Remove the power and reset connectors and power the board from the motherboard's power switch.
  19. see newegg reviews ? the first 5 were bad eggs right off the bat. (ASUS Maximus V Formula)

next rma put an indiscreet mark on the mobo so you don't get the same one back.

personally I'd choose something else.
  20. The Power supply was faulty. The low level was not supplying sufficient power to handle the Motherboard.
    I replaced both the Power Supply and the Motherboard, and the machine now works properly.
    Thanks for your help.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Processors Power