What is wrong with my desktop?

lt_dan_zsu

Honorable
May 3, 2012
I have had my PC for about 3 weeks. I think one of the components is bad. I'm sure the ram and cpu isn't bad because I have tested those pretty extensively but I'm not positive. I run intel burn test prime95 and memtest for multiple hours on the last two. When I play max payne 3 it usually crashes within 20 minutes. It has crashed a few times on half life 2. It has even failed once on the internet. Once it gets past an hour on it usually works without problem though. I run fur mark on it and it crashes about half the time. When my system crashes it completely freezes and doesn't BSOD. It has only BSODed once or twice. No I am thinking it is either PSU or GPU failure and I'm leaning towards GPU failure. The computer always turns on and starts without failure. It ussually crashes during or immediately after. I have my CPU slightly undervolted put it's stable in tests. I have 304.48 beta drivers. My specs are listed in my status. Can you tell me what you think is wrong with my PC and what tests should I run to test it?

You need to find out what the gpu temps are. My guess is they are too high and causing problems. You may have inadequate ventilation in your case. MSI afterburner will do fine - it will even let you change your fan profile easily.
-Bruce

Well i would check for heat issues, make sure all your drivers are up to date also update windows and your bios.

I would do a Driver sweeper, to uninstall your GPU driver. your a guinea pig running beta drivers, i would go back to the last driver 301.42 or something like that.

I tryed the betas and crysis crashed, went back to the other and been fine for a week. :)

Anyways a 700W PSU is not your specs make ? Model ?

put your CPU back to stock volts ( NO OCing playing with setting to you can pin point the cause )

Is your ram timmings and volts set right in your bios ?

Razec69

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011

How have you had this PC for only 3 weeks?

Where did you even get it from?

It's curious to me that you would buy these parts only 3 weeks ago, or even from a vendor.

You ran memtest but did it give you any errors? You didn't state anything about that.

Yes furmark failing can mean your GPU, but it could also mean bad OC or low power output.

Again very curious to see you with an i7 920 from 3 weeks ago.

Razec69

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Oh sorry a bit drunk.

Any in all reality 90c is high but within acceptable ranges.

My own personal opinion I don't trust anything from OCZ. But that is just me hating on them.

Don't know what I can suggest. Something is obviously wrong. Try going into the BIOS and setting everything to default to make sure there are no unseen over clocks or anything funny going on.

Don't really know what else I can think of. I'll get back to you when I sober up.