Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Building $1000 Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 28, 2012 12:20:28 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: Two weeks

Budget Range: $1000 (Can go $100 more) Canadian dollars**** With around $1000 I am spending around 1300 after taxes which is why I can't go higher than 1100

System Usage from Most to Least Important: I game and browse. The games that I play= World of Tanks, Diablo3, Dota2 and a few others

Parts Not Required:I need everything excluding mic (This means I need OS, I need monitor, I need keyboard).

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Canadian websites (ncix.ca, newegg.ca, tigerdirect.ca or any other reputable Canadian retailer).
Country: Canada

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU no preference on the graphics card but right now 7850 is pretty much hands down choice

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 (Need to buy this and needs to be in budget)

Additional Comments: You need to use Canadian websites or you are of no help, I wish the prices here were the same as newegg.com but thats not the case.

I put something together and this leads me to wonder if the G620 will be enough to hold me off until Christmas where I can grab a 3570k. Seems to me that its a i3 with a lower clock but idk. I chose the SSD because like I said I only browse and game. Any school documents can go on my external. [128gb-30gb(OS)-50gb (games)= 48gb] which seems pretty good to me. I can also buy an HDD later on for document and other storage if I feel the need (whereas buying an SSD later will mean having to do OS on there and idk).

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/aYrA

CPU: Intel Pentium G620 2.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($56.13 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($40.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($115.92 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($243.00 @ DirectCanada)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($61.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: Asus DVDE818A7T/BLK/B/GEN CD Reader, DVD Writer ($18.46 @ DirectCanada)
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($144.85 @ DirectCanada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($105.92 @ TigerDirect Canada)
Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($12.99 @ Newegg Canada)

Total: $1070 before MIR, $1010 after.

More about : building 1000 gaming

June 28, 2012 12:53:50 AM

CPU-NO
Get a i5 2500k and it will be a great gaming computer :D 

I would maybe get a different psu like a 600watt corsair.
m
0
l
June 28, 2012 12:57:43 AM

my suggestion: the Z77 is overkill for the pentium G.

I'd suggest instead a I5-3450 and a B75 motherboard.

consider the Mushkin 120 GB SSD, and an acer 23" monitor

you forgot a mouse and speakers
m
0
l
Related resources
June 28, 2012 12:59:18 AM

Check my signature builds ;) 
m
0
l
June 28, 2012 1:10:43 AM

Show me where I can fit the i5 into the budget, I don't see it but compromises can be made of course.

The Z77 is overkill but is the G620 enough to get me to Christmas playing those games? Then I won't have to worry about motherboard when I upgrade to either 2500k or 3570k(which I plan on doing).

I also overlooked the fact that I have a headset+mic and many mouses.

aqualipt, I can't fit monitor plus OS into your 7850 build.


Checking Acer monitor's now. EDIT: Will I notice 5ms vs 2ms for monitors while gaming? I mean, will it make much of a
difference?


Swapped the M4 for the Mushkin 120 GB for $15 cheaper.
m
0
l
June 28, 2012 1:30:38 AM

zerokontrol said:
Show me where I can fit the i5 into the budget, I don't see it but compromises can be made of course.

The Z77 is overkill but is the G620 enough to get me to Christmas playing those games? Then I won't have to worry about motherboard when I upgrade to either 2500k or 3570k(which I plan on doing).

I also overlooked the fact that I have a headset+mic and many mouses.

aqualipt, I can't fit monitor plus OS into your 7850 build.


Checking Acer monitor's now. EDIT: Will I notice 5ms vs 2ms for monitors while gaming? I mean, will it make much of a
difference?


Swapped the M4 for the Mushkin 120 GB for $15 cheaper.


You do not need the OS.... sail like a PIRATE to the ocean and find it :) 

by no means Z77 is overkill, the G620 will be somewhat enough altough i would recomend a G850

if the 7850 is too much for you then get a GTX 560, 6870, 6850 or something

and about the monitors... it depends, you might notice the diference in SOME fps games, the diference is that there will be no ghostinng in a 2ms monitor
m
0
l
June 28, 2012 2:30:19 AM

Here you go with a *LEGAL* copy of the OS:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: Asus P8H77-V ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($51.49 @ Newegg Canada)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($100.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHDS118-04 DVD/CD Drive ($19.49 @ Newegg Canada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($119.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $961.92
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
m
0
l
June 28, 2012 3:03:39 AM

Keep in mind he needs everything. What you put together is pretty good, OP, but for a gaming rig you simply do not need a solid state (especially if it's going to be your only storage!). I modified your list to something closer to what I'd get:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Pentium G620 2.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($56.13 @ DirectCanada)
*Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($40.99 @ Newegg Canada)
*Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.88 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($243.00 @ DirectCanada)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($61.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: Asus DVDE818A7T/BLK/B/GEN CD Reader, DVD Writer ($18.46 @ DirectCanada)
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($144.85 @ DirectCanada)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($105.92 @ TigerDirect Canada)
*Keyboard: Razer Arctosa Wired Standard Keyboard ($39.99 @ Newegg Canada)
*Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Wired Optical Mouse ($43.99 @ Computer Valley)
Total: $960.18
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

As for your question on the CPU: yes, it'll work just fine for a temporary solution. You may want to go for the Pentium G830 (I think that's it), which performs on par with a Phenom II X4 955 in gaming. There's really no need to get the Extreme4 motherboard unless you know for a fact that you will be crossfiring. Also, feel free to change the keyboard/mouse - that's just what I would get. Razer has a lot of detractors, but everyone I actually know (that has Razer gear) are totally satisfied with them.
m
0
l
June 28, 2012 6:00:42 AM

I think you can get an actual quad core from mousseng's build with additional trimming:

go with the BenQ 21.5" monitor for Canada Comuters ($113.88, saves $30.97)
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=2...
5ms is still great response time for games

Gigabyte B75-D3V at Newegg.ca ($79.99, saves $20)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Corsair CX 430W at Computer Valley.ca ($41.99, saves $13)
http://www.computervalley.ca/cx430/cmpsu-430cxv2/843591...

Cooler Master Elite 310 case at Canada Computers ($28.88, saves $26.11)
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=6...

Rosewill 700-M wired multimedia keyboard at Newegg.ca ($9.99 saves $30)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

Rosewill RK-3200L mouse at Newegg.ca ($6.99, saves $37)

this trims $157.08
take out the $56.13 for the Pentium: $213.21 saved.

get a i5-3450 for $199.99 from NCIX
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=70543&vpn=BX80637I534...

and you save enough to mount a couple extra fans in the Elite 310 the rest of the build matches mousseng's: 500 GB drive, HD 7850, etc
m
0
l
June 30, 2012 2:07:12 AM

Thanks of the help thus far guys. For my upcoming build I planned for two financial circumstances that could happen. One with a tighter budget and one with an endless budget (I am not crazy though and don't need to go super duper overkill for my needs). The good financial circumstance pulled through and I do not have to worry much about the money (probably keep it around $1300-1450?). This is what I came up with:
http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/b61G

Is that a good build? Think I will skip on the mouse for now but I will pick one up sometime after, what is recommended for gaming, optical or laser? And ofc any recommendations?

Thanks.
m
0
l
June 30, 2012 11:29:54 AM

looks solid to me.
m
0
l
June 30, 2012 10:04:15 PM

So like I said, whats the deal with mouses and keyboards? Would like to spend around 60-70 total on mouse and keyboard but don't really know where to go with that.
m
0
l
June 30, 2012 11:55:59 PM

Laser mice are, generally, better than opticals for gaming (and general use as well, but mostly gaming). They track better on more surfaces, are more accurate, and have a higher DPI range (the sensitivity).

Logitech and Razer are both solid, gaming-oriented (to a degree for Logitech) brands. Razer mice typically employ either a dual laser/optical setup or an IR sensor for tracking, whereas Logitech tend to have optical sensors (hence why they're more affordable). Some mice you may want to look into:

Logitech G300 - $40
Razer DeathAdder - $55

As for keyboards, that's up to you. My personal recommendation is that if you want a good mouse/keyboard but can't afford both, go with the mouse (for gaming). That said, some keyboards to look into:

Razer Arctosa - $50 (Razer info page)
Logitech G105 - $50 (I know what you're thinking, but it's cheaper than the non-CoD keyboard, the G110)
Logitech K200 - $20 (A cheaper keyboard, if you were looking for one)

If you look through their catalogs and find something you like, search for it on Amazon/Newegg/Ebay or something because it's likely you'll be able to get it cheaper elsewhere (new).

Also keep in mind Logitech has KB/mouse combo deals; if possible, I'd say push your budget up to $80 and go for this K350/M510 combo. I can't say much about the K350, although it seems like it would be a good idea - media buttons, nice keys, "ergonomics" (for what it's worth).

The M510 it comes with though, is actually the mouse that I've got now. It's got two handy side buttons that function in most programs out-of-the-box (media players, web browsers, explorer.exe, etc) that are also useful in gaming. As far as tracking, it's not bad - it's a wireless laser mouse, so it is rather accurate (not on par with more expensive Razers/Logitechs, but good still) and it has phenomenal battery life. I purchased it sometime in Q4 last year and am still on the same batteries.

Well, there's my two cents.
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 6:49:37 AM

mousseng said:
Laser mice are, generally, better than opticals for gaming (and general use as well, but mostly gaming). They track better on more surfaces, are more accurate, and have a higher DPI range (the sensitivity).

Logitech and Razer are both solid, gaming-oriented (to a degree for Logitech) brands. Razer mice typically employ either a dual laser/optical setup or an IR sensor for tracking, whereas Logitech tend to have optical sensors (hence why they're more affordable). Some mice you may want to look into:

Logitech G300 - $40
Razer DeathAdder - $55

As for keyboards, that's up to you. My personal recommendation is that if you want a good mouse/keyboard but can't afford both, go with the mouse (for gaming). That said, some keyboards to look into:

Razer Arctosa - $50 (Razer info page)
Logitech G105 - $50 (I know what you're thinking, but it's cheaper than the non-CoD keyboard, the G110)
Logitech K200 - $20 (A cheaper keyboard, if you were looking for one)

If you look through their catalogs and find something you like, search for it on Amazon/Newegg/Ebay or something because it's likely you'll be able to get it cheaper elsewhere (new).

Also keep in mind Logitech has KB/mouse combo deals; if possible, I'd say push your budget up to $80 and go for this K350/M510 combo. I can't say much about the K350, although it seems like it would be a good idea - media buttons, nice keys, "ergonomics" (for what it's worth).

The M510 it comes with though, is actually the mouse that I've got now. It's got two handy side buttons that function in most programs out-of-the-box (media players, web browsers, explorer.exe, etc) that are also useful in gaming. As far as tracking, it's not bad - it's a wireless laser mouse, so it is rather accurate (not on par with more expensive Razers/Logitechs, but good still) and it has phenomenal battery life. I purchased it sometime in Q4 last year and am still on the same batteries.

Well, there's my two cents.

This person might be the next g-unit. :p 
m
0
l
July 2, 2012 3:03:25 AM

mousseng said:
snip

Damn, you are a beast.

I have to skip up on wireless. I hate wireless things (I hate cordless phones, my cell phone, my laptop is never without wires and I use wires whenever possible). Just annoying when things die during a dire situation.

Because of this I think I might go with the G110 (G105 is cheaper like you said though, but Call of Duty = NOPE). I could sand off the Call of Duty part but that would probably not look good at all. I will go without a new mouse for now and buy a nice one (probably 80 region) along with a mic or headset sometime after building all of this.

I realize now that 520W won't be sufficient for my needs, I think 650W would be a better choice to allow for lots of space to overclock without worry. Any recommendations in that zone? Trying to keep it somewhat cheap and whats the thoughts on modular vs semi vs non.

Thanks a lot. I have revised the build some (hopefully not to much more revising as I plan to pull the trigger in a couple of days.
m
0
l
July 2, 2012 4:24:41 AM

I'm kind of weird about mice & Keyboards. I generally go cheap. $10 keyboards, $10 mice. and never had any trouble
m
0
l
July 2, 2012 6:24:10 AM

zerokontrol said:
I have to skip up on wireless. I hate wireless things (I hate cordless phones, my cell phone, my laptop is never without wires and I use wires whenever possible). Just annoying when things die during a dire situation.

I definitely understand what you mean, though I'm the opposite. I can't stand having wires all over me.

Quote:
Because of this I think I might go with the G110 (G105 is cheaper like you said though, but Call of Duty = NOPE). I could sand off the Call of Duty part but that would probably not look good at all. I will go without a new mouse for now and buy a nice one (probably 80 region) along with a mic or headset sometime after building all of this.

Yeah, I kind of figured it would get that kind of response. That sounds like a pretty solid plan, though - if you've already got a mouse you're comfortable with, then the G110 is definitely a great investment.

Quote:
I realize now that 520W won't be sufficient for my needs, I think 650W would be a better choice to allow for lots of space to overclock without worry. Any recommendations in that zone? Trying to keep it somewhat cheap and whats the thoughts on modular vs semi vs non.

A few 600 to 650W power supplies that come to mind are the PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk. III 600W ($90 + $4, $70 + $4 after rebate), Seasonic S12II 620W ($87), and the Corsair TX650-V2 ($90, $70 after rebate). The Corsair is not modular; the Seasonic isn't either, but is a 'silent' PSU; the Silencer is (somewhat appropriately) both modular and 'silent.' Modularity is really up to preference more than anything - it can make cable management easier on you (though I doubt you'll have issues either way with the Enforcer), but that's about it. Most of the myths you'll hear about modular vs non-modular (modular cables create electrical resistance, they're not as stable, etc) are overblown or just not true. Go with what you think you'd like.
m
0
l
July 2, 2012 6:33:19 AM

Forgot to post revised build before, woops.

http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/bc8X

Tempted to go for the 7950 Gigabyte card.... Its only $40 more. I did change the case from the Enforcer to the 500R based upon looks and reviews. I won't be rushing and will spend plenty of time on cable management to make sure I get it looking nice (without modular /w TX650 V2)
m
0
l

Best solution

July 2, 2012 6:51:53 AM

I forgot to post the newegg.ca links and prices, sorry. I should probably go to sleep, haha. You seemed to have found your way around regardless.

Yeah, the 500R is an even better case - it's definitely got nicer cabling than the Enforcer (and it's also much prettier, in my opinion). But hey, I just realized you're getting a Corsair case and PSU, so maybe you'll want to take advantage of this combo on Newegg. They knock $25 off and there's still the $20 rebate(s).

On the video card, the 7950 is a faster card, there's no doubt about that. But is the speed worth $40? You'll definitely notice a difference in speed at ultra-high resolutions (dual/triple monitors, 2560x1600, etc). Check out the comparison at Hardware Canucks for a detailed review, or the comparison at AnandTech for a quick rundown.
Share
July 2, 2012 1:54:17 PM

Ya I much prefer the looks of the 500R. Nice job on finding the combo, that brings it down to about $1500. Nice.

After looking at the benchmarks, the $40 is really not necessary. My main games are World of Tanks, Dota2, Diablo 3 and a few others which will run just fine on the 7870. I do plan on getting Civ5, Total War:Shogun and maybe some other games in the future though, which is why I think the 7870 is a better chance than 7850.

I believe that wraps it up. Final build being:
http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/bc8X

The only part that will come NCIX will be the Pro3, the rest will be from the ones on the partpicker. Price comes outs to (using PSU/Case combo on newegg):
$1509 after MIR or somewhere in that area.

After taxes it is 1705 which will work.

Thanks a lot mousseng, you are a beast.


EDIT: So I am having second thoughts, the different between 7870 and 7850 is pretty minimal. 6-10 FPS on some games. I think that going 7850 will be smarter, I don't know which model to pick?
m
0
l
July 2, 2012 1:54:42 PM

Best answer selected by zerokontrol.
m
0
l
July 2, 2012 10:17:39 PM

zerokontrol said:
EDIT: So I am having second thoughts, the different between 7870 and 7850 is pretty minimal. 6-10 FPS on some games. I think that going 7850 will be smarter, I don't know which model to pick?

As far as I can tell, the 7850 can easily overclock to stock 7870 levels of performance, and the 7870 can overclock to even past stock 7950 performance. Although some games seem to really benefit from the 7870 over the 7850 (like Total War).

So: looking at Canadian prices, it seems a good 7850 (ie XFX, Sapphire non-OC, etc) is about $250-260 after shipping (Newegg prices, mind you), whereas a 7870 GHz Edition (again, XFX, Sapphire non-OC, etc) is about $310-320 after shipping. Personally, I would spend the extra $60-70 and go for thte 7870 - because if you're not afraid to do some overclocking yourself (which you seem to be okay with), then you'll be pushing 7950+ levels of performance for significantly less. So my suggestion is to stick with that Gigabyte 7870 and OC the hell out of it. But it's just a suggestion.

Regardless, your build looks stellar.
m
0
l
!