Drives disappeared from My computer

Hi, I've been searching but can't find a solution to this: my drives no
longer appear under "My Computer". I can explore to them fine. My primary
drive C, my restore to original configuration partition D, and my external
USB drive (which is partitioned into four) are all missing. I had some
problems when I had the external drive connected via firewire, so I switched
to USB 2.0. The old firewire drive letters remained. In trying to remove
them, I removed all drives, but I'm not sure how (late at night, didn't take
clearnotes). Thanks.
--
chemrat
6 answers Last reply

    Do you have TweakUI installed?

    If yes, Open TweakUI
    [+] My Computer
    Drives

    Make sure there's a check mark for the appropriate drives |
    Apply | OK

    If XP Pro check these settings in Group Policy.

    Open Group Policy...
    Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | OK |

    Navigate to >>
    User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\
    Windows Explorer\
    Hide these specified drives in My Computer

    [[Removes the icons representing selected drives from My Computer and
    Windows Explorer. Also, the drive letters representing the selected drives
    do not appear in the standard Open dialog box.

    This policy removes the drive icons. Users can still gain access to drive
    contents by using other methods, such as by typing the path to a directory
    on the drive in the Map Network Drive dialog box, in the Run dialog box, or
    in a command window.]]

    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
    CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    NoDrives
    -----

    User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\
    Windows Explorer\
    Prevent access to drives from My Computer

    [[Prevents users from using My Computer to gain access to the content of
    selected drives.

    If you enable this policy, users cannot view the contents of the selected
    drives in My Computer and Windows Explorer. Also, they cannot use the Run
    dialog box, the Map Network Drive dialog box, or the Dir command to view the
    directories on these drives.

    The icons representing the specified drives still appear in My Computer, but
    if users double-click the icons, a message appears explaining that a policy
    prevents the action.]]

    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
    CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    NoViewOnDrive

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:43CA388B-14B1-4D02-ADE5-70108D674CF6@microsoft.com,
    chemrat <chemrat@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi, I've been searching but can't find a solution to this: my drives
    > no longer appear under "My Computer". I can explore to them fine.
    > My primary drive C, my restore to original configuration partition D,
    > and my external USB drive (which is partitioned into four) are all
    > missing. I had some problems when I had the external drive connected
    > via firewire, so I switched to USB 2.0. The old firewire drive
    > letters remained. In trying to remove them, I removed all drives,
    > but I'm not sure how (late at night, didn't take clearnotes). Thanks.
    > --
    > chemrat

    Thanks! I do not have tweakUI but will hunt for it now and then follow your
    instructions.

    OK. I downloaded and ran tweakUI, and it worked, though I had to have some
    faith: tweakui hung up and would not let me click OK after clicking apply.
    I tried My Computer anyway and the drives had appeared. One has a bizzare
    icon, but I can live with that. I had to kill tweakUI, and then had a
    strange, apparent reboot where I didn't have to log back in but the system
    turned off and on again- rather confusing, but all seems well now. BTW, I do
    have XP HOME on this PC. Thanks!

    "chemrat" wrote:

    > Thanks! I do not have tweakUI but will hunt for it now and then follow your
    > instructions.

    I do have XP Home on this PC. I installed tweakUI and ran it as you
    suggested. It hung up and would not let me click OK after clicking apply.
    However, when I checked My Computer, the drives had reapeared (one with a
    bizzare icon). I actually had to do the whole process twice to get all of my
    drives, because I forgot some of the letters. I had to kill tweakUI, and
    then my system crashed, but it seems fine now. Thanks!

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Do you have TweakUI installed?
    >
    > If yes, Open TweakUI
    > [+] My Computer
    > Drives
    >
    > Make sure there's a check mark for the appropriate drives |
    > Apply | OK
    >
    > If XP Pro check these settings in Group Policy.
    >
    > Open Group Policy...
    > Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | OK |
    >
    > Navigate to >>
    > User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\
    > Windows Explorer\
    > Hide these specified drives in My Computer
    >
    > [[Removes the icons representing selected drives from My Computer and
    > Windows Explorer. Also, the drive letters representing the selected drives
    > do not appear in the standard Open dialog box.
    >
    > This policy removes the drive icons. Users can still gain access to drive
    > contents by using other methods, such as by typing the path to a directory
    > on the drive in the Map Network Drive dialog box, in the Run dialog box, or
    > in a command window.]]
    >
    > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
    > CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    > NoDrives
    > -----
    >
    > User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\
    > Windows Explorer\
    > Prevent access to drives from My Computer
    >
    > [[Prevents users from using My Computer to gain access to the content of
    > selected drives.
    >
    > If you enable this policy, users cannot view the contents of the selected
    > drives in My Computer and Windows Explorer. Also, they cannot use the Run
    > dialog box, the Map Network Drive dialog box, or the Dir command to view the
    > directories on these drives.
    >
    > The icons representing the specified drives still appear in My Computer, but
    > if users double-click the icons, a message appears explaining that a policy
    > prevents the action.]]
    >
    > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
    > CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    > NoViewOnDrive
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:43CA388B-14B1-4D02-ADE5-70108D674CF6@microsoft.com,
    > chemrat <chemrat@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Hi, I've been searching but can't find a solution to this: my drives
    > > no longer appear under "My Computer". I can explore to them fine.
    > > My primary drive C, my restore to original configuration partition D,
    > > and my external USB drive (which is partitioned into four) are all
    > > missing. I had some problems when I had the external drive connected
    > > via firewire, so I switched to USB 2.0. The old firewire drive
    > > letters remained. In trying to remove them, I removed all drives,
    > > but I'm not sure how (late at night, didn't take clearnotes). Thanks.
    > > --
    > > chemrat

    Hi,

    Send the bizarre icon screen shot to me via private email.

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "chemrat" <chemrat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> NoViewOnDrive
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:43CA388B-14B1-4D02-ADE5-70108D674CF6@microsoft.com,
    >> chemrat <chemrat@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> > Hi, I've been searching but can't find a solution to this: my drives
    >> > no longer appear under "My Computer". I can explore to them fine.
    >> > My primary drive C, my restore to original configuration partition D,
    >> > and my external USB drive (which is partitioned into four) are all
    >> > missing. I had some problems when I had the external drive connected
    >> > via firewire, so I switched to USB 2.0. The old firewire drive
    >> > letters remained. In trying to remove them, I removed all drives,
    >> > but I'm not sure how (late at night, didn't take clearnotes). Thanks.

    Kelly, thanks. I just sent you an email with a word file that has the screen
    shot pasted in. Jim

Configuration Computers Windows XP