NVidia 7850 Equivalent... 660Ti? 670?

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Hello,

So I would like to buy the GPU for my new system within two weeks. I had almost decided on an ASUS 7850, but I really like Nvidia... the cores help with C++ programs, and the drivers are nice. The thing is that Nvidia is more pricey... but that's for a later time :sarcastic:

Anyway, I had almost decided on a 7850 (vs, say, a 560 Ti) because of price/performance, some extra RAM, and, most importantly, the OC potential... I've heard 40% from people who own it without any extra special cooling. I've heard that the 660Ti may be delayed until Q3... which seems to be true as far as I know. I don't really want to buy something older like a 480, since I'm always hesitant about buying old hardware. Any suggestions? I can probably stretch to $300... but any more, and we really start pushing it.

By the way, two fans (or more) are a must and it has to be quiet... so MSI Twin Frozr II OC, ASUS, Gigabyte (sometimes), and Sapphire are preferred. That's to factor in the price.

Thanks!

Yes, 660 Ti/660 would be probably priced around $250. If you really want to wait to Q3 2012, it seems worthwhile to wait for them. Otherwise if you don't want, go and stay with the 7850. Also note, if you wait until those NVidia card are released, 7870 may have been dropped in price to 7850 pricing...

gary1

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

No.

I said after the release of the Kepler card... If the kepler card is too good for AMD (as it is for the GTX 680)... Say a 660 Ti is priced $250 and performs like 7870, 7870 will drop $100.

I think 670 will be priced like 7950 now, but yes it is a prediction... Yes Kepler doesn't OC as well as AMD GCN, but it is still acceptable, I think I saw a 680 getting stable at 1150Mhz easily.

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Well... I guess I have to ask this, then. Any reason why you guys would go with Nvidia? I mean, I know AMD/Radeon because it's cheaper and better OCing, but I'm kind of worried about drivers. Someone told me that it's better to go Nvidia for mathematical calculations because of the CUDA cores, but any math calculations I need to run can be done at my University's "supercomputer".

Do any of you guys have a 7850? A 7870 will also be good to know about, but a 7850 would be the best. How are drivers?

Really, why would I go Nvidia?

Pricing for the 670 is starting at 399$ as of right now. Sources also tell me that OC editions are pricing around 415-425 starting. The GTX 660 is going to run around 249$. More info and possible release date for 670 is May 10th. the 660 and 660 ti are going to be a little later in the year due to issues within the kepler process.

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Refillable, did you mean "no point of getting Nvidia" or that I should get Nvidia? I think I'll go with Radeon.

Also, does OCing your GPU void your warranty? I didn't know that... how would you stress-test it to make sure it doesn't fail, then? Would you stress test at stock and not OC for like a month? I'm just worried that it'll run into issues not caused by my OCing.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
why nvidia? on general consensus it has more quality driver (means more stable, less buggy/hassle, friendly ui, better update), more features, better support in gaming community (sli profiles, 3d profiles, optimized in many games). Altough, in this 600series gen, nvidia has to compromise its compute power (silly, the only drawback for now).

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Is it anything that affects framerate, or does it just improve video quality? I mean, it doesn't mean the card is faster... just that it can make graphics better, right?

I haven't seen anything that really affects benchmarks.

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
You were saying something about OpenCL? Is it okay? Please report objectively... I've seen way too many comments (not here,mind you, but when I'm helping people on builds) where a "fanboy" will be raving about their brand and not offer any actual benchmarks/statistics/graphs, etc.

Also, that makes me wonder... is there anything in AMD/Radeon's GPUs that Nvidia doesn't have? Meaning things that AMD/Radeon does better (besides overclocking and price/performance, as well as availability).

elzafir

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

What AMD cards have that NVIDIA doesn't is Eyefinity.
AMD cards could drive up to 6 monitors per card. Yes, that's per card. So if you have four of them bad boys in your rig, 24 monitors setup is not a dream.

I think NVIDIA wins with PhysX support, now that Kepler's power consumption and price is on par with Southern Islands, and Kepler reportedly could now drive up to 3 monitors, there's no reason not to get equivalent NVIDIA cards for $10-$20 more just for PhysX support.

I mean, come on, 7850 for $250 vs 660 Ti for $265, roughly same performance, both low wattage reqs, both silent, but one of them has PhysX support. But then again, we can get 7850 NOW. So, AMD wins (for now).