Gaming Computer (final): Any parts to change?

johncard

Honorable
May 28, 2012
My build has changed a lot and I am just being carefully and trying to save as much money as possible. Here is my current build.

CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $219.99

CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard $174.99

Memory Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $49.99

Hard Drive Hitachi 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $76.95

Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card $419.99

Case Antec Three Hundred Illusion ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99

Power Supply Corsair 600W ATX12V Power Supply $59.99

Optical Drive Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer

Looks good, I would get the i5-2500K instead but that's just me. I installed a similar setup for my brother and with that cooler I overclocked the 3570K to a mere 4.0GHz and temps hit low 80Cs. I pulled the cooler off thinking I had applied the paste wrong, it spread just fine. Cleaned it and retried, same temps. My i5-2500K runs at 59C overclocked to 4.5GHz on full load.

mmilner1

Honorable
May 10, 2012

overclocking, stick with your original its the newest processor and its fine unless you really want to over clock. good build only might think about an SSD to me that's almost a necessity.

rblenden

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
The only real place to save some money is either the mobo or the vid card. You can grab the 2500k which is a great processor stil but its only going to save you a few bucks. You can shave 30 dollars or so off the mobo by grabbing the extreme 4. I don't see you needing all the extra bells and whistles with what you are putting in there. You can drop almost 75 bucks off going with the pro 4-m. Do a comparison on newegg and see what you will be losing. Theres not that much.
Your biggest cost saver is going to be downgrading the vid card a bit. 420.00 is a huge investment over your previously selected card. You can easily cut a hundred dollars and more off the card. I play wow, D3, BF3 and others easily on ultra settings with basically the same setup and a HD 7850. I still havent overclocked anything yet either.

rblenden

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
I went with the Saphire simply becuase I was trying to save a few extra dollars as well. Although 240.00 is not that much in a mid-upper end video card, it was still a big investment for me. There were several comments on newegg about DoA cards, but then again you can find those on any manufacturers reviews. I haven't had a single problem so far with mine. Read some other reviews for them on and do what you feel best about. You are only looking at a 10-20 dollar difference from most manufacturers.
On a side note: I am not trying to strong arm you towards the Radeon. Its just a real solid investment in terms of efficiency and performance. I don't have much experience with Nviia cards, but from what i've read you really have to get up into the three to four hundred dollar range to blow it away.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
3570K is fine, and its stock frequencies will never bottleneck you. There is no point in overclocking to ridiculously useless frequencies. Infact save some money and don't bother with an aftermarket heatsink unless you already have it.

With 8GB ram, a GTX 670, and an 3570 on stock you won't come across a single game that you couldn't max out at 1080P and even more probably.