Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Every game has now gotten so laggy and choppy.

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Games
  • Alienware
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
May 4, 2012 2:23:20 AM

Hello all,

recently I've been getting problems with my Alienware M15X Laptop, the games I play have all started to lag really badly even when I put them at the lowest of resolutions.

I have no idea how to fix it since I'm not really computer savvy, and this only happened a few days ago, everything was fine right up to then.

I've been searching around for solutions but I haven't been able to find any, so if anyone could help me it would be a great help...

Here are my specs.

Model Alienware M15X

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7CPU Q820 @ 1.73GHz 1.73GHz

Installed Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB

System Typed: 64-bit Operating System

Graphics card NIVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M

More about : game laggy choppy

a b Î Nvidia
May 4, 2012 6:44:37 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums :) 
Have you updated the GPU driver to the latest version ?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
May 4, 2012 9:06:29 AM

I suppose for the life of the system, windows were never reinstalled? It's advised to reinstall them every 18 months or so, because the trash it accommodates slows down even the fastest systems out there.
m
l
Related resources
May 4, 2012 3:35:55 PM

Maziar said:
Hello and welcome to the forums :) 
Have you updated the GPU driver to the latest version ?

Hello and thank you,
I have updated it, and it didn't make a difference.

Sunius said:
I suppose for the life of the system, windows were never reinstalled? It's advised to reinstall them every 18 months or so, because the trash it accommodates slows down even the fastest systems out there.

I don't really get what you meant by windows were never reinstalled. Do you mean like formatting everything then reinstalling windows?

I've only owned this laptop for about 5 months, don't think it counts as 18 just yet.

m
l
May 4, 2012 3:59:43 PM

It could be anything from virus/malware to dust collected in cooling.

Do u remember what do u change/add/install when slowdown start happening? how the temp goes?

I would try to clean the dust, and scan for any malware/virus and see if it helps..
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
May 4, 2012 4:14:07 PM

Overheating is a common problem with gaming laptops, try running hwmonitor and see if your CPU is overheating and throttling itself.
m
l
May 4, 2012 4:32:37 PM

rdc85 said:
It could be anything from virus/malware to dust collected in cooling.

Do u remember what do u change/add/install when slowdown start happening? how the temp goes?

I would try to clean the dust, and scan for any malware/virus and see if it helps..

I scanned for malware/viruses many times over, and cleared all shown results of infected objects. I only remember transferring some files from my laptop onto an external HDD, and playing Blacklight Retribution, which had the option in the game to test the Harddrive Speed. Not so sure that might have anything to do with it.

benski said:
Overheating is a common problem with gaming laptops, try running hwmonitor and see if your CPU is overheating and throttling itself.

I'm not so sure what the temperatures of overheating would be or what throttling is, if you could post the heats that are considered overheated that would be much appreciated. Right now, the Value of the Cores are fluctuating between the 60-69 Celsius range.
m
l
May 4, 2012 5:32:07 PM

Have you tried updating DirectX? This is often a causing factor that gets overlooked.
m
l
May 4, 2012 6:06:32 PM

Kkkk1 said:
Have you tried updating DirectX? This is often a causing factor that gets overlooked.

My DirectX seems to be the latest version, assuming 11 is the latest?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
May 4, 2012 7:30:23 PM

Did you buy your PC brand new? Because from the parts in it I assumed it's around 2 years old.
m
l
May 5, 2012 1:30:38 AM

Sunius said:
Did you buy your PC brand new? Because from the parts in it I assumed it's around 2 years old.

No, I didn't buy it brand new, although the previous owner only used it for about a month and then never touched it, as in never turned it on ever again, or so he said. Although, I think he modified the battery a little to get more power out of it. I'm not very sure it's about 2 years old yet though.
m
l

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
May 5, 2012 9:05:53 AM

I'd still advice reinstalling windows - you never know what you get when you buy second hand. It's just insurance. I know it's a bit of a hassle, but it will hasten your machine.

Also, you should check temperatures when the games start getting choppy. Use HWMonitor, download it from here: www.cpuid.com
May 5, 2012 7:44:53 PM

Sunius said:
I'd still advice reinstalling windows - you never know what you get when you buy second hand. It's just insurance. I know it's a bit of a hassle, but it will hasten your machine.

Also, you should check temperatures when the games start getting choppy. Use HWMonitor, download it from here: www.cpuid.com

Alright I'll try doing so, thank you for your advice.
Would you happen to know the temperatures for overheating? I mean mine usually just fluctuates at around 50-70 degrees.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
May 5, 2012 9:59:56 PM

70 degrees is still OK. But are you sure its not way more when it gets choppy?
m
l
May 12, 2012 3:56:45 AM

Best answer selected by lProximityl.
m
l
May 22, 2012 12:08:13 PM

I know this has already been solved, but I have basically the same machine, except its clocked at 2ghz and 8 gigs of RAM and found that if it gets choppy, I just have to turn stealth mode e and off (the little speedometer button on the top right touch strip thing).
m
l