Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Quadro 2000 vs GTX 680 for WORK

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 4, 2012 3:39:51 AM

I'm building a new computer for work (possible a few games, but this isn't important)... sketchup (with some rendering also), GIS (mapinfo), some autocad, photoshop, lots of MS Office. I'm happy with most of the components but I've read so many conflicting snippets of information about what would be the best graphics card in my i7-3930 build. I've decided on nVidia, but the debate between Pro vs Gamer cards has brought me to a standstill. I'm not rendering all day, and I'm not doing 3D geometry all day, but I want to make sure my graphics card gives best bang for buck. Can anyone point me to some definitive comparisons between the Quadro 2000 and GTS 680 for my type of work? thanks - Mick
May 4, 2012 8:07:34 AM

I'm no expert but I understand that one of the biggest advantages of the Quadro was that rendering was done by the GPU and not the CPU (and some other workstation-oriented advantages). But they are quite outdated, while the GTX 680 is top notch right now for gaming at least, it should perform well for work, specially with your CPU.

I think that the GTX will be overall better than the Quadro 2000. Even maybe higher-end Quadros, but maybe someone with a bit of more expertise in the subject can tell you better.
m
l
May 4, 2012 8:48:27 AM

Definitely Quadro.

For work, Quadro is the way to go. Also Nvidia has changed the compute performance of the 600 series making the gap even wider. The compute performance for the 680 is lower than the 580 whereas the gaming performance is the other way around.
m
l
Related resources
May 4, 2012 10:06:41 AM

@yialanliu... is there a benchmark test that you are referring to? Also I'm wondering what "compute performance" actually does in real life, for instance does this mean rendering performance, or view port manipulation performance, photoshop filters?, etc. What is it about games (and cards that are good for games) that is different from other computer usage?

thanks

- Mick
m
l

Best solution

May 6, 2012 12:56:10 AM

computermick said:
@yialanliu... is there a benchmark test that you are referring to? Also I'm wondering what "compute performance" actually does in real life, for instance does this mean rendering performance, or view port manipulation performance, photoshop filters?, etc. What is it about games (and cards that are good for games) that is different from other computer usage?

thanks

- Mick

Referring to stuff like Maya where quadro will beat gtx type graphics.

In PS, it's not as measurable, but one thing that quadro does better is accuracy in rendering. GTX is speed, trading accuracy for speed.

Certain programs require quadro to really even work. Autocad also comes to mind.
May 15, 2012 7:43:24 AM

Best answer selected by computerMick.
m
l
!