Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
Yo, just trying to get some opinions. My personal computer which i throw myself into world of warcraft to fill my days with happiness has given up on life.

My fortron PSU (2 years old) decided it was time to fizzle and crackle till it died taking something else out with it.. in my haste to get back on WoW for my MC run.. i purchased an Antec Stealth psu (420w) 90 bucks T.T..

After replacing my junked PSU i went to boot it up.. and now there is no POST at all. So.. i've come to get some opinions or possible solutions to how i could test if its my CPU. Unfortunately i don't have any relatives/friends/coworkers near me that have an AMD board that is capable of my 2500barton to test it on..
I have tried the video card and luckily that seems to be fine... still no POST.

If you know any ways to test Mobo/Cpu at all without having to fork over another 100 dollars to get it tested please let me know. Sadly i was hoping that computer would take me through next year when i'd build new again.

Visually the mobo seems fine.. LED's fans and no leaky burnt connections at all, but that doesn't really mean anything either.

Any help is needed and i'm thankful for it.

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=277124623" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=277124623</A>
46,510 , movin on up. 48k new goal. Maybe not.. :/

endyen

Splendid
Does the psu fan turn? No psu fan usually means a short in the system. If I get that, I usually try to get it to turn on, with nothing but the mobo and ram. If they are good, the psu fan will spin. Then I generally add the cpu and test again. I keep adding stuff till it dont work.
Then of course, I give up cause it's broke. :smile:

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
Alright.. well yea i checked my mobo with a athlon 1333 cpu and it still did nothing. I'm definately leaning towards the board then...

Just a little pissed off about the fortron supply being only two years and then it blowing up taking out other components.

Since i have no way of testing the board it looks like i'll be using my 9800pro inside my 2.8ghz pentium 4b w/ RDRAM ewwww.

Any idea's still welcome. The memory is fine. :( The PSU is now fine.. the card is fine.. not sure if the CPU is dead... but i know the board wont post with an Athlon 1333 cpu. :(

Guessing i'm effed becuase I want to have a new system next year when dual CPU chips are priced decently and matured.

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=277124623" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=277124623</A>

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
PSU fan died, then the light went out.. then it made a noise the next day and it shut off.. never turning on again.
It smelt funny and the power was at like 10% becuase the fans tried turning on but they were spinning slow as eff.. then it completely stopped turning stuff on.. the fans run fast with the new psu, but still nothing on screen : /

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Check the MB around the V-regs for burned solder. A pretty common place to find it on a blown board. I assume you've already defaulted the CMOS.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If you really want it diagnosed well, take it to a shop of pros and let them go to it. It'll cost you money to be sure, but should cost less than buying the wrong parts.

My fortron PSU (2 years old) decided it was time to fizzle and crackle till it died taking something else out with it..
No surprises there! I've been saying over and over again how Fortron PSUs do <i>great</i> on a 24-hour burn in, but six months to two years later will fall to pieces. My workplace has had nothing but bad experiences with Fortron over long-term usage. I will <i>never</i> put a Fortron PSU in any system I personally build. (Just as I won't use VIA if I can help it in any way.)

:evil: یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil:
<font color=red><i>The Devil made me do it, but I <b>liked</b> it.</i></font color=red>
@ 196K of 200K!

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just retired my five year old 300 watt Fortron. Still works fine but this A-64 needed more gas. I personally don't know anyone that has a blown-up Fortron though I'm sure there have been bad units and bad batches from every manufacturer.

9 out of 10 voices in my head said, "Don't shoot!"

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I personally don't know anyone that has a blown-up Fortron though I'm sure there have been bad units and bad batches from every manufacturer.
This is more than bad units or even bad batches. My company ships on average 30 PCs a year. Since we switched to a new client PC base with a Fortron PSU three years ago, these client PCs have had over an 80% failure rate within one year of shipping. Most of the failures reported by customers are graphics, LAN, and hard drive. Yet every system that we've taken back has worked perfectly after replacing the PSU. (And we try compressed air cleaning first because it's cheap, even though it's never saved any of these PCs yet.)

Now, unfortunately, the OEM that we buy our PCs from insists on matching the PSU's rating to the power needs of the PC. It's a cute way for them to save money, but it's been killing us in the long run because our observation has been that Fortron PSUs start to degrade over time. When these PCs ship they can go through the nastiest of torture tests without a hitch. But six months later that PSU is starting to put out less and less power, and before you know it, components start behaving strangely.

The way that my company is fixing this (much to my dislike) has been to demand that the OEM start adding 50W to the rating. (My push was to make the OEM use a dependable brand <i>and</i> up the rating by 100W, but no one ever listens to me, which is why it took two years just to even get the extra 50W.) That's only started this year, and already we've seen two systems start to fail for the same reason. Sure, the failure rate is looking to be a lot better now, but it has still been the PSU at fault when there is a failure.

Now, keep in mind, these client PCs typically are on 24/7 and are generally processing data and running at high power usage fairly regularly, as they're chem lab PCs that do a lot of number crunching. So people that use their computer less will probably see a longer degrade time. And if the PC is using considerably less than the PSU's maximum output, then that'll probably help a lot too.

But basically, when push comes to shove, Fortron PSUs just don't last. They're great when you first get them, but they degrade over time. That's been my experience anyway.

And what of the server PCs that we ship? Different PSU brand, higher cost, but no problems for over a decade.

<font color=red><i>The Devil made me do it, but I <b>liked</b> it.</i></font color=red>
@ 196K of 200K!

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
Well, lets just say i do a lot of hardcore gaming and everything is oc'ed.. since it will not post and the 1333 athlon i threw in there wont boot it up.. i'm not wasting 30 bucks to get it tested.. i'm spending 80 to get a new board.

Specially becuase to be honest.. all of the local shops around here are very unskilled in fixing anything. My Barton looks brand effen new.. ;D go AMD.

I just really wanted to spend money on a new computer in another year, but i guess i could use my memory and get a64 mobo/cpu..

AS for fortron.. eff it i have antec now.

PS:
I wish they'd give me a new mobo for this.

For the degrading over time, everything you stated there was starting to happen. Weird memory errors were occuring due to lack of correct power, and the final blow was the fan dying / light died then crackle fizzle pop and then dead.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Just once I'd like to see a review site do a <i>long term</i> evaluation of things like PSUs. Max them out to their exact specifications for even as short as six months. Who wouldn't want to see that review? I bet it'd scare the pants off of most PSU manus.

@ 196K of 200K!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
For that matter, it'd be nice to see a PSU manu liable for any time their PSU damages someone's components. :O

@ 196K of 200K!